• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex broke down, need info

SpokedB

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex
Hello all, Had a weird issue yesterday leaving Errol NH. 06 with about 8500 miles felt a banging under my left foot while going about 35. Upon inspection it appears I lost a bearing on the gear pictured. Lost Speedo and I can see this gear is not centered where it should be. Location is below the drive belt. Was able to limp back to civilization and wait for friend to ride back to pittsburg to get my truck but I’m wondering how bad this is and what actually happened.

Thanks for your input. E1F7A53D-2B5D-4DD0-BFAF-02A1106BD440.jpeg

Those bearings need to be changed out somewhat regularly. When they fail things get expensive.

By the way, so far I’ve only replaced the donuts and y pipes. Where’s a good source for parts?

We repaired a vector by loosening the track, carefully cutting the inner race (didnt damage the axle) off, and popped a new bearing on. However, on all my old rx1s,vectors,and apexs, never had one fail, because they are super easy to needle grease. Speedo sensor still worked even though it ground into it a little.

By the way, so far I’ve only replaced the donuts and y pipes. Where’s a good source for parts?
I would use oem parts, the bearing is about $40,alot of the aftermarket bearings have steel shields & makes them harder to regrease than the rubber seal type oem bearing.sometimes you can find speed sensors used,otherwise new is about $100 .sometimes the 2 bearing mounting plates are damaged but you won’t be able to tell until its apart,if they are you can replace them but will need to remove the jackshaft to replace the inner,definitely want to check the right driveshaft seal& bearing as they get side loaded when the left bearing fails,while you have it all apart you should replace or regrease the bearing behind the secondary clutch as well,there are 2 tiny set screws on the inside of the failed bearing that need to be removed before the bearing will slide off the shaft,

I'm not a huge fn of the re-grease method. I did this and the bearing failed. You don't know if its shot unless you pull it out or wait until it completely fails. I have video of me spinning the bearing once it was off my sled. Sounds horrible. It was re-greased every year. I just replaced that bearing less than a month ago. It was 2 years old. It was never re-greased and it was like new. NTN bearing. I put a new one on since it was already out.

I tried to upload my bearing video but it’s too big.

I'm not a huge fn of the re-grease method. I did this and the bearing failed. You don't know if its shot unless you pull it out or wait until it completely fails. I have video of me spinning the bearing once it was off my sled. Sounds horrible. It was re-greased every year. I just replaced that bearing less than a month ago. It was 2 years old. It was never re-greased and it was like new. NTN bearing. I put a new one on since it was already out.
I dont disagree, but I greased after every ride and saw brown water drops come out. Used molybdenum grease. I did change my old rx1 bearing when we changed the track and it felt good so kept it..lol.

I wasn’t talking about regreasing the speedometer bearing i was talking about the secondary shaft bearing, this bearing is not easy to replace & requires chaincase disassembly,everyone has different opinions but ive been cleaning & regreasing mine on my rx1/apex conversion for 13,500 miles along with many other people,experience plays a big part in determining bearing condition,some people know what to look for while others don’t, if the bearing has no grease in it or is rusty it’s generally no good

I wasn’t talking about regreasing the speedometer bearing i was talking about the secondary shaft bearing, this bearing is not easy to replace & requires chaincase disassembly,everyone has different opinions but ive been cleaning & regreasing mine on my rx1/apex conversion for 13,500 miles along with many other people,experience plays a big part in determining bearing condition,some people know what to look for while others don’t, if the bearing has no grease in it or is rusty it’s generally no good
I needle grease that one too! Gets a little messy behind the convertor but never had one go. Anything I can sneak my needle (ground to a sharp point) in I grease. Even the tri hub on the sw. Tricky but it can sneak under the seal.

I greased that bearing too. I changed it out last summer. It was near its end of life but still ok. It is more of a pain to do but not too bad. More time consuming than anything.

The speedo track bearing is only 20 bucks for the NTN. Not worth the effort to grease it for 20 bucks. Anytime you pull the skid toss in a new bearing.

I would use oem parts, the bearing is about $40,alot of the aftermarket bearings have steel shields & makes them harder to regrease than the rubber seal type oem bearing.sometimes you can find speed sensors used,otherwise new is about $100 .sometimes the 2 bearing mounting plates are damaged but you won’t be able to tell until its apart,if they are you can replace them but will need to remove the jackshaft to replace the inner,definitely want to check the right driveshaft seal& bearing as they get side loaded when the left bearing fails,while you have it all apart you should replace or regrease the bearing behind the secondary clutch as well,there are 2 tiny set screws on the inside of the failed bearing that need to be removed before the bearing will slide off the shaft,
the last few ones i have bought at dealer had metal seals on bearing. i replace the metal seal ones after 2 seasons of running (mark installed date on foot well). the ones with rubber seals, i clean and re pack every year with the jack shaft bearing and idler wheels. on my 2011 xtx with 22000 mi the speedo bearing took out the speedo sensor when it failed at 11000 mi with re packing. i re did the jackshaft and chain case bearings at the same time with the all balls kits.

Back