• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 XTX idle issue when cold

XTX Kory

Veteran
I have an 09 XTX w/2500 miles, just serviced and changed the plugs. The sled starts hard when cold, then sputters and stammers for the first few moments it runs, idles around 1300-15500 apon intial start up, the sputters backfires and idle jumps to 1800-1900 idles smooth and returns to 1500-1600 rpms. Only does this when started cold, once the engine has been started it starts instantly and idles smooth and where it should. I have checked the TORS system and the throttle cable and both are within spec. I have changed the plugs and sled still acts funky when cold. I have owned the sled since new and this is a change in behavior, sled has never idled this way before even when temps were well below zero. I would appreciate any assistance you guys can give. Thanks

I just changed the exhaust doughnuts and did a full service on mine and it starts easy enough but now has this "sputter" for a few seconds and then rpms level out.....has never done this before.

When it is really cold out mine will run for about 1 min and then die. After restart, its fine. Not sure if its the same problem but would like to know what it is. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, I hope, just strange.

Did you recently remove your airbox? Are then any codes displayed when this is happening? It almost sounds like an intake leak (funky idle). There are a couple of hoses on the throttle body one is a idle control hose. Make sure all hoses are on tight and throttle body's are on all the way and clamps tight. I ended up removing the throttle body to airbox clamps and removing about 2-3mm off the spacer so I could tighten the clamps as I had the airbox pop off one of the throttle body's several times last season makes a sound like an exhaust leak as you increase throttle.

Pete

I have no codes displayed, I have not removed the airbox ever. No weird sounds. Motor just appears to be loading up, stumbles and stutters then seems to clear itself after the back fires. Only does this when the motor is cold (1st start of the day) I can go out and start it 3-4 hrs later and the sled will run as it should. I was wondering if the relay for the starter maybe acting up, sounds almost like there is something electrical, really at a loss here, I appreciate any help I can get, I am getting frustrated. Thanks

Is it new gas or old gas in tank? Was gas treated?

Is it new gas or old gas in tank? Was gas treated?

Hmmm....hadn't thought of that...yes, had 1/8th of a tank treated with Stabilizer for summer. Just filled it with new gas tonight....will have to post results tomorrow, didn't start it.

New gas did not fix my issue. Could it be the starter relay???? I am really at a loss here. Appreciate any ideas or help I can get.Thanks

How long did you run it with new gas? As Dr FeelGood above said Seafoam can't hurt. I've used it in everything and it works wonders (follow directions only put in what it suggests). I have been using the Yamaha Fuel Med RX in all my machines (snow , bike, chainsaw, etc) and have had no issues. Snowtech did a write up on it a couple of years ago as it was the only fuel additive at the time that stopped corrosion due to E10,E15 gas.

Pete

X3 on seafoam. Dirty injectors and carbon build up in combustion chamber can cause this issue. When carbon build up dries it soaks up the initial shot of fuel and can cause idle issues at first start up.

I have a couple of questions.
1) running regular or premium fuel?
2) did you replace plugs with stock plugs after checking gap?

Back