• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 xtx...my quick take

Turk

Tech Advisor
wow; wow; wow; wow!!!!
Where do i start?
After 300 miles
Impressed with rear skid. i can not bottom this thing out no matter how big the bumps. No kick back; no more g-out bumps; no bottoming period. All my buds have 08/09 Xp,s & this is the 1st sled I can hang with em in the big bumps. Front suspension is harsh; i gotta tweak that.
No more mystery twitches from front end.
Same heavy steering up front...i need the upper body work out tho.
Corners very well for a 144.
Front end gets up on snow & sled actually floats!
No ratcheting with stock drivers; no matter how hard I hook up.
Will not corner like a skidoo xp but not bad.

I added slydog skiis; drag n flies/ k & n,s & fuel controller & cobra track. Before fuel controller it was lean down low. By adding fuel it really crispens up low end & throttle response. Didn,t have to add any fuel to main jet mapping ; just everywhere else.
I elected not to install the Hauck exhaust; I really like stock sound.
This sled would kill my 08 nytro in 660'.

this one,s a keeper.
still eats slides in marginal snow....6 miles of bad trail & they went from new down close to wear line!

Glad you like it.........very impressed with mine as well and like you said, the track will not ratchet even if its looser than spec. Are you running the stock setup on the secondary right now or did you tweak that too??

Turk mine was also heavy to steer on my first ride. Tweaked the front skid spring to just below max and gave it a little more transfer now its a different sled. It also helped with the occasional bottoming I was getting in that shock. That motor is a beast huh?

Good report. Glad to hear it doesn’t bottom out easily. Looking at the suspension closely at my dealer, the extended rails looks a bit thin. Wonder how strong this is and if it can bend up easily? I really don’t have any luck with keeping suspensions together.

Dan

cobra

Turk, how does the Cobra track fit? Mine is rubbing (actually bending over a little) on the front protectors on my SE. I guess I'm going to have to trim the lugs around the protectors since I plan to stud at some point.

Just got over 400 on mine today. My observations of the suspension are the exact opposite. The front end feels good but the rear keeps bottoming on me. I thought I broke my back nearly last night. I always bottom out on the down side of a hill when you hit the bottom and start rising up to the next hill. Any ideas on what I should do?

Sno Cat said:
Just curious, does the XTX corner flatter than or is it tippy-er than an Apex?

Its alot more stable then my 07 apex rtx was.

loudelectronics said:
Just got over 400 on mine today. My observations of the suspension are the exact opposite. The front end feels good but the rear keeps bottoming on me. I thought I broke my back nearly last night. I always bottom out on the down side of a hill when you hit the bottom and start rising up to the next hill. Any ideas on what I should do?

Been trying to adjust the rear but find I am bottoming it alot. Front end has alot of adjustments. slowly tweaking the front to my riding.

My skid needs help. The best place for me to start is with replacing the shocks. I have new shocks coming that will provide me with compression and rebound adjustments in both positions. Bottoming is not my concern, but I always try to set my rear suspensions so that I do bottom out occasionally if riding hard in big bumps where I'll occasionally short one. My issue with the XTX skid is the rebound rate.

Whats the issue with rebound? It would be nice to adjust it but so far it is working good. You do want it to pile up over the whoops to an extent. Me at 180 lb it is doing that but for some reason at the bottoms of hills I hit so hard.

I increased the compression just one click and just about put me over the handlebars.

Increasing compression resistance has never "put me over the bars", but unchecked rebound sure has. That's precisely my problem. I've read a few reviews where the riders said they could feel the weight of the XTX front end. After my initial ride I could better understand what they were describing, but I don't think its the weight. I think the rear end unloads and shifts all the weight forward and the rider has to fight to control it. If the rear was calmed down that problem would be diminished. In fact when I dial up all my rear suspension settings to limit compression the problem is reduced considerably. I really think this sled has great balance and the front end seems up to all tasks, but it won't be a star until I solve the rear suspension's problems. I'll know a lot more in a week or so. I'm not bashing Yamaha or the XTX. I'm just not satisfied that it's as good as it can be. Out-of-the-crate sleds rarely are. If I can't solve the rear suspension issue? Two XTXs will be for sale and two F6 Sno Pros will be in the trailer. I'll work hard to solve the problem before that'll happen.

XTX suspension

I've put almost 1000 miles on mine so far. I can't begin to make the suspension work as I'd like it to. I've adjusted both Front & rear preload,compression & rebound. The entire system is HARSH! I've also inquired with several suspension shops...none of which had any "seat time" on the XTX. I'm 6'5" around 260#. There's enough rear spring to prevent bottoming, I just can't get as "plush" as I'd like. One suspension shop told me they planned to buy/ride an XTX over the holidays, I'll check back with them tomorrow.

Back