• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1.5" Talon track swap external drive ?

herndonp

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Nytro XTX
So I ordered the Talon 38 15 x 1.5 x 144 Composit track and a set of (9 tooth) external drivers. My question is do I have to trim the rails on a 2012 xtx. I noticed that the rail part numbers changed in the year 2011 for xtx and same part number is used for the 1.75 nytro xtx which has the external drivers. If both standard xtx and 1.75 xtx rear suspensions mount in same place ( not sure about this) it would seem you should'nt need to trim the rails on 2011 and newer xtx when adding external drivers. Anybody out there put external drivers on a 2011 and newer xtx and found this to be true?

Pete

I know for a fact that Yamaha moved the the limiter strap shaft up on the 11 xtx skids. This new hole location would warrant a new part number on rails. I think I have both style rails. Can compare to see if any other differences.

It would interesting to find out as the 1.75 has external drivers ( 9 tooth?). Not sure if the 1.75 rear skid is mounted differently though. If we could figure this out anyone with a 2011 or newer XTX would know if they need to trim the rails or not when upgrading to a 9 tooth external driver.

Pete

Travis did you get a chance to check the difference on the rails?

Pete

Just texted you a a photo of the two side by side. Rail lengths are the same. The limiter strap shaft holes are in different locations between the two styles. In addtion the newer style rails have different torsion spring retainer. 09-10 the torsion spring is looped onto the idler mount where as 11+ its independent of the idler wheel. The 11 + also uses a two bolt front wheel mount block so there is additional hole in rail for that.

So I ordered the Talon 38 15 x 1.5 x 144 Composit track and a set of (9 tooth) external drivers. My question is do I have to trim the rails on a 2012 xtx. I noticed that the rail part numbers changed in the year 2011 for xtx and same part number is used for the 1.75 nytro xtx which has the external drivers. If both standard xtx and 1.75 xtx rear suspensions mount in same place ( not sure about this) it would seem you should'nt need to trim the rails on 2011 and newer xtx when adding external drivers. Anybody out there put external drivers on a 2011 and newer xtx and found this to be true?

Pete

From what I have seen the deciding factor on whether or not you will need to trim the rails depends upon what brand drivers you are using as some brands of drivers (wahl/avids) stick further through the track windows than the OEM Yamaha extroverts which means they have a slightly larger diameter than the OEM ones on the 1.75" model Nytro XTXs - this little bit is what causes the contact as they slightly rub when the front arm is compressed.

I'm using the Kimpex external drivers (barn of parts) on the outside and the stock yamaha drivers on the inside. I have the driveshaft and track back in the machine and was going to temporarily install the skid and compress it to check for clearance issues. I suspected some drivers may cause clearance issues as explained by Port-Parts.

Pete

Finished getting in driveshaft with new Kimpex external drivers. Adjusted track tension and put large wood block under front to compress suspension. Had wife get on to compress final 2" and checked clearance. I had 1/4 to 5/16" clearance between front rails and kimpex drivers.

Pete

Pic fully compressed

Attachments

• 20160726_090810.jpg
    20160726_090810.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Pic

Attachments

• 20160726_090824.jpg
    20160726_090824.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 143
New Composit Talon 38 15 x 1.5 x 144 track

Pete

Attachments

• 20160726_093153.jpg
    20160726_093153.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Last pic

Attachments

• 20160726_093044.jpg
    20160726_093044.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 177
looks like you have clearance at full compression, and that Talon 38 looks like a nice track. I've read they hold up really well ... you should get a lot of life out that track. the Lugs look more like they're 1.75 than 1.5 ... that track should hook up really well in loose snow, and perform well in 1-2 feet of fresh off trail. It might be a little heavier than a similar Camso, but you get the benefit of 2-ply durability. I don't care so much about the extra weight or little bit of top end loss. I just wonder what this track will feel like in hard pack conditions ... will there be extra vibration or noise? Maybe, but I bet the difference will be minimal at most. Nice choice IMO. Let us know what you think of it after you put some miles under it.

herndrop.... did you leave you heat exchanger & tunnel protectors in? if yes could you get a pic of clearance to the heat exchanger protectors. I am thinking of installing a studded 1.5" talon into my xtx and curious about clearances (orig. planning to drop in a studded 1.75" backcountry into it).

ps...it looks nice stuffed in there, a lot beefier looking than the camso 1.5" crossover

cheers

Back