• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

10 % ethanol gas. how to store sled for summer?

I asked Amsoil's tech department and their reply was:

Dear Mr. Duheme,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL.

In response to your inquiry, our Gasoline Stabilizer (product code AST), as well as our other gasoline additives have been tested with 10% ethanol gasoline mixes as these fuels have been common here in the midwest for a number of years. Our products work well with these fuels and the Gasoline Stabilizer becomes even more important since the ethanol has an affinity for water.

As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

AMSOIL Technical Services

So I would say that you can use Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer on ehtanol fuels.
Visit Sleddheadd's or my website for more information on other Amsoil products

Any product on the market will make claims about what that product will or won't do - it is called marketing - in the case of fuel additives all you have to do is find out what is in that product to see if will live up to its claims - the easiest way to do that is pull up the MSDS sheet and see what ingredients are in it - in the case of Seafoam, the three ingrediants are;
Pale Oil - nothing more than a lubricant
Naphtha - a solvent, which incidently is insouble in water
IPA(isopropyl alcohol) - the water absorber

now their claims are that Seafoam lubricates, cleans, and stabilizes the fuel system and the ingrediants that make it up would do just that - but here is the one I like the best;
"2. Sea Foam is moisture drier. Ethanol absorbs moisture which needs to be removed from the Ethanol. Sea Foam dries moisture."
the only ingrediant in Seafoam that "drys moisture" is the alcohol which is what ethanol is - so lets conteract the negative effect of ethanol (alcohol) by adding more alcohol!! - the end result is just the absorbtion of more water, ultimately resulting in saturation, and then seperation - alot of guys use alcohol based octane boosters thinking they are creating better stabilized fuel - it's just not going to happen - ethanol/alcohol in any fuel for any length of time will give you problems - you can believe it or not but chemistry does not lie!!

As far as Amsoils Stabilizer goes, it ingrediants are;

petrolium distillates - most likely toulene
xylene - simular to benzene and toulene - water insoluble
cumene - simular to acetone which is simular to benzene

it appears Amsoil's approach is to dillute the fuel with additional hydrocarbons that raise the octane - however, none of these ingrediants are water soluble so you still are faced with the ethanol reaching saturation and separation

One last observation;

Seafoam $5.50/16oz = $43.90 per gallon
Amsoil Stabilizer $8.40/16oz = $67.20 per gallon
Race Fuel approximately $8.50 per gallon

I've stored all of my toys will a couple of gallons of (non ethanol) race fuel for the past 4 years with zero problems - it is a cheaper more effective way to safe guard them than anything else on the market IMO - anything else just doesn't make any sense to me!!

Thanks for the good info :)

Thank god only a few gas stations in Norway are selling alcohol blended gasoline. I have never had any problems with storage, half a tank, full tank, empty tank, have never drained the carbs either. Before every season I empty the tank and add new gas, sleds always starts up easily.

But I know what's coming as a few select gas stations are now offering 98E and 95E pumpgas (up to 10% ethanol), and more recently E85 (85% ethanol, 15 % gasoline)

Another issure I forgot to mention is that once the ethanol fuel reaches its moisture saturation point, and it seperates. There is no chemical on the market today that wil "Re-Mix" the two. The only fix at this point is to empty your tank and fuel system and fill with fresh fuel. I'm pretty sure we all would only do that once before we started using stabilizer in almost every tank.

maxdlx said:
More yet

Ethanol Fuel & Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Technical Services Department-Sea Foam Sales Company
(revised March 2008 to 2 pages)
Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a unique 100% pure petroleum oil product, developed for solving specific concerns that are common to gasoline, gas/oil mixed fuels & diesel fuels used in all types and styles of 2 cycle, 4 cycle, diesel and Rotary (Wankel type) engines. These engines are in common use today in all automotive, truck, fleet, industrial, agricultural, specialty industries and small engine applications.

If it is 100% patroleum product why does it smell like rubbing alcohol? same with Sta-bil. They both smell like alcohol, not trying to start anything just an observation. I have never used Amsoil Stabilizer so don't know what it smell like, as store my sled dry, but I ordered a bottle the other day to find out. Also as far as I can remeber from high school chem class the only thing that absorbs water is alcohol, hence its drying properties.

Back