• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MCX will announce their kit(s) to Viper in Aprill

JCLG

Extreme
I contacted Erik from MCX. He told that their kit is out on April. More information he didn't want to say. They will be testing the optimum with 3 different turbos. He thought that kit for Viper will be more simply to make than the Nytro kit's. So kit for Viper might be little cheaper.

So more specs from MCX in April. He was exited about the project this far.

What's that going to do for my five year factory warranty? Don't get me wrong I would love to have one but not a the expense of my warranty.

Ask your dealer his policy.

A good dealer will cover non engine related stuff.

By the book the warrenty will in all likelyhood be gone.

how can they produce a turbo when they are still working out the mapping yet. I looked at one today and all signs pointed till 2015. Way too many variables on this sled that may go wrong and then have the usual "out of parts" since its a completely new model. I talked to the yamaha rep touring with the sled and was adamant that yamaha will not make this sled factory with a turbo so its up to mcx.

MCX has lots of experience with the Nytro powerplant and mapping likely not an issue for them as they use their own programmable turbo controllers. The turbo is a totally different beast anyway and its all about AFR and boost across the powerband.

Just my humble opinion, but the mapping comments from Yami are BS anyway. Clutching? For sure. But guys have run the the Nytro in a Pro RMK and the stock nytro map was used. Other guys did the same thing and added a fuel controller because they were running mods (intake/header/muffler/etc) just to tweak the ECU. With yami's clutching going in, not exactly sure what you would be remapping for? The only big difference I can see is the header on the Viper, but no way would that require a big adjustment. Maybe 1-2% somewhere in the RPM/Throttle matrix.

It would be nice however if they had to adjust like 15% on top because that would mean hello to 160HP!

Now there's a remap that I could wait for!

OTM

As Off Trail Mike stated, the Viper engine is still the Nytro engine. Yes the viper has a different exhaust, which I assume won't be used with the turbo setup. The closest you can mount the turbo to the exhaust ports the faster you can spool it up. This cuts Turbo lag which equals instant power.

I agree also with the fuel mapping. An engine is an engine, doesn't matter what chassis its in. If its using the same drive train (we have the same clutches) it's not going to be much different. I also agree on the clutching.

If anyone is waiting for this sled to be factory turbo'd in the near future you better think twice. Yamaha builds 90% of their engines naturally aspirated. Only thing I can think of with forced air apart from their bolt on supercharger is the supercharger used on their waverunners.

I saw one at my dealer today as well and there is an O2 sensor in the pipe/muffler, makes the inteligent part of PC5 much easier to hook up.

Eric said that they'll be testing different turbo locations too. Maybe 180 kit different than 240-270 or what ever they will be. He didn't say anything more specific than they try different locations. Maybe 180 kit is not so much of the location than 270 would benefit being closer to motor.

52532063415814659975920.jpg

XTX heading to MCX

but they are using Arctic cats fuel injection on it so its not as simple as a straight engine transplant from the Nytro.
And the O2 sensor could be good, is it possible to use the autotune in parallell on the same sensor ? if not you may have to add another O2 sensor the stock ECU might not like it if you unplug it.

I don't know. And please don't call or e-mail MCX about the stock engine horsepower. They have no reason to tell you and they will not tell you as they have an agreement with Yamaha to not release any numbers from the stock engine and especially not from a stock prototype engine. Same thing if they dyno your sled - only you will get access to the numbers from your own sled.

Anyway, MCX has obviously got a plan for the SR Viper.

Alatalo said:
I don't know. And please don't call or e-mail MCX about the stock engine horsepower. They have no reason to tell you and they will not tell you as they have an agreement with Yamaha to not release any numbers from the stock engine and especially not from a stock prototype engine. Same thing if they dyno your sled - only you will get access to the numbers from your own sled.

Anyway, MCX has obviously got a plan for the SR Viper.
Do you now when they got their new dyno up and go?

Back