• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

17 sidewinder question

scottt

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 apex gt 2017 sidewinder LTX LE 137"
2017 sidewinder ltx le 137. If you push down on the back and let go it comes back up only about 2/3 way. Should it come all the way up by itself? Got the adjustment on the mid setting on rear springs. If I put it on the stiffest I notice it's alot harsher ride. Also the plastic coolant overflow tank, can you take the black cap off? I tried twisting it but I don't want to break it. Thanks

My 2017 XTX LE 137, same skid different shocks, comes all the way up even with the springs on the softest setting. As far as the cap it just pops off.

Look for oil on the inside of the track or around the shock shaft if it has been sitting. I think your shocks need some juice. Especially if you don't have the Fox shocks. The gas shocks they used in some models are junk. Hygear rebuilt mine and they didn't hold for a full season. Replaced all with Fox QS3R that the new models are using Big difference, but spendy

It's the original 3 level fox shocks that came on that model. None of the shocks show any oil/ wet leakage around them. The front shock in the skid has a coil sring around it that can be adjusted. Being in the front that wouldn't have any thing to do with the suspension returning to full height with no one on it? The rear shock has no coil spring..I wouldn't think that shock would be responsible for keeping the suspension all the way up?

It's the original 3 level fox shocks that came on that model. None of the shocks show any oil/ wet leakage around them. The front shock in the skid has a coil sring around it that can be adjusted. Being in the front that wouldn't have any thing to do with the suspension returning to full height with no one on it? The rear shock has no coil spring..I wouldn't think that shock would be responsible for keeping the suspension all the way up?

All shocks can and will lose gas pressure over time. Many say the charge will not affect ride or static height, but that is not true. Gas charge will hold the sled up better. If it is low on gas charge, the clickers that affect compression dampening loose the detent somewhat. I re-freshed all my shocks on the 17 last season and it is back to new and rides so much better. I could tell it was getting weak.

Fox cheapened up the QS3's and got rid of the valve and cap, you will lose gas charge out of the rubber plug where you fill gas with the needle valve over time. You can have a good shock guy fix this with a bit of machining, screw and o-ring when he does the servicing of the shocks.

All shocks can and will lose gas pressure over time. Many say the charge will not affect ride or static height, but that is not true. Gas charge will hold the sled up better. If it is low on gas charge, the clickers that affect compression dampening loose the detent somewhat. I re-freshed all my shocks on the 17 last season and it is back to new and rides so much better. I could tell it was getting weak.

Fox cheapened up the QS3's and got rid of the valve and cap, you will lose gas charge out of the rubber plug where you fill gas with the needle valve over time. You can have a good shock guy fix this with a bit of machining, screw and o-ring when he does the servicing of the shocks.
I can ask my local shop where he sends their shocks to be gone over. Also If I push down on the rear grab bar it seems to go down easier than I think it should but I don't have another sled like a sidewinder to compare it to. The sled has a little over 5k miles and I'm pretty sure the shocks have never been touched.

I can ask my local shop where he sends their shocks to be gone over. Also If I push down on the rear grab bar it seems to go down easier than I think it should but I don't have another sled like a sidewinder to compare it to. The sled has a little over 5k miles and I'm pretty sure the shocks have never been touched.

Then it is defiantly beyond time to get them done.

Yup, I had Cannondale do my 2017 last year. There was no rebound when it got extremely cold and the shocks would pack to the point the snow flap was dragging on the ground when it's normally about 8 inches off the snow!

Scott If I were you I would PM Cannondale. Great guy to deal with and he really knows his $hit!

Cannondale did my last refresh and I had those stock end caps with the rubber plug replaced with the actual Fox end cap with Shrader valves and metal cap. He knows the Fox part number.

No...completely flat on the garage floor,,,as you would ride it. If these shocks normally have to be looked at well before 5000 miles I guess it's overdue. My local shop was woodys( now moms) and they sent out some apex shocks for me once( wet leak). Not sure who they sent them to but I will call and see if they still offer that service.

Last edited:

Back