• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

19,430 miles, and a few problems popped up this year

slimjim2525

Lifetime Member
On my 2011 Apex, it was flawless until this year. 2 were Yamaha issues, one was man made. First, my exhaust cracked just behind the exup valve. 225 dollars to have it welded, no big deal. My sled would not start recently in Quebec, I knew it was the stator as I just put a 310 cca battery in it. Rode it to the dealer, and sure enough the stator was bad. 400 dollars and I was on my way. The last is disturbing. While in Quebec. I lost my reverse as it was just grinding. I thought it just needed adjustment, and I took the side panel off and found a quarter size hole in the chain case cover. The bolt going into the drive shaft had backed out and wore a hole in the cover. I had the case apart over the summer to do a track change, so I'm chalking that up to my own fault. Amazing part was it did not leak any oil. I took the cover off and placed the bolt back in, and covered the hole with duct tape, and continued on my trip for another 600 miles with no problems. I'm waiting on parts to fix it right. Ironic part is the guy I go with is a certified Yamaha mechanic and he said he has seen 3 incidences of the same thing this year already. In his 30+ years as a mechanic he has never seen it until this year. He also told me that Yamaha must have silently known there was a problem because in 2011 Yamaha added a retaining clip to keep this bolt in. Well it didn't work as my bolt and clip were sitting down in the plastic.

Here's some pics

Attachments

• 20160204_145941.jpg
    20160204_145941.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 20160122_101907.jpg
    20160122_101907.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 132
have seen the bolt happen a few times before. i always dry the threads, torque it and use red lock tight on it.

Wow 2011 with 19,430 miles (31,270km) with only those issues. Do that on a doo. Hope my '13 XTX will last that long

My 05 warrior did the bolt thing to me on a saddle bag trip. Was first and only time I didn't clean and lock tite the bolt

Wow 2011 with 19,430 miles (31,270km) with only those issues. Do that on a doo. Hope my '13 XTX will last that long
You will no problem. Just wear items replaced. I think maintenance wise I'm gonna have the stator replaced every 15k miles or so. My buddy has 39k on his nitro, no issues. We had a guy in Quebec ask us "what have you done to the motor". Our reply was "change the oil". LOL

These 2011+ model apexs are much more reliable than previous versions.

I think the FI Vectors may be even more reliable. Insane.

My dad has 10k clicks on his 2012 Apex. 1 set of exhaust donuts and he just replaced the bogie wheels.

Our 07s had mulitple exhaust donut and exhaust pipe failures in the first 10k miles.

I had to get a similar weld & the guy only charged me 50 bucks, who knows maybe I got a good deal
He told me that welding titanium is super critical that the part be clean. So he did something to clean it all up. I think he dipped it gasoline, amongst other things.

Back