• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Nytro - How does it ride/handle?

tcb4

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage, 2006 Nytro ER (Blown Motor)
I just purchased a 2006 Yamaha Nytro ER with 4xxx miles on it, and I'm wondering how it's going to handle. I'm coming from a 2001 Arctic Cat ZR 500, which is very light and handles very well. My father, whom I frequently ride with, has a 2005 Yamaha RS rage with Fox Float 2's on it and skis off of either an SX or SXR. Initially the rage was quite the dog compared to my ZR, and it still is in many ways, but after the skis and shocks it is much more compliant in the tight trails than it was previously. It does, however, still feel a little bit more like a "cruiser" than I'd like it too. My question is, how much differently does the Nytro handle with the 121" inch torsion spring rear skid? I'm not expecting it to feel as light as my ZR did, but I'm a bit worried that it'll handle just like the rage in the tighter stuff. Does the skid in the Nytro weight transfer and absorb the big stuff any better?

Also, will the Nytro be quicker than a clutched 2002 Viper or the Rage? For reference, the Viper and the Rage are really close, but the Viper probably has a slight advantage out of the hole all the way to top end. I've looked around, but I haven't seen anything posted by anyone who's lined them up.

Last edited:

I just purchased a 2006 Yamaha Nytro ER with 4xxx miles on it, and I'm wondering how it's going to handle. I'm coming from a 2001 Arctic Cat ZR 500, which is very light and handles very well. My father, whom I frequently ride with, has a 2005 Yamaha RS rage with Fox Float 2's on it and skis off of either an SX or SXR. Initially the rage was quite the dog compared to my ZR, and it still is in many ways, but after the skis and shocks it is much more compliant in the tight trails than it was previously. It does, however, still feel a little bit more like a "cruiser" than I'd like it too. My question is, how much differently does the Nytro handle with the 121" inch torsion spring rear skid? I'm not expecting it to feel as light as my ZR did, but I'm a bit worried that it'll handle just like the rage in the tighter stuff. Does the skid in the Nytro weight transfer and absorb the big stuff any better?

Also, will the Nytro be quicker than a clutched 2002 Viper or the Rage? For reference, the Viper and the Rage are really close, but the Viper probably has a slight advantage out of the hole all the way to top end. I've looked around, but I haven't seen anything posted by anyone who's lined them up.
That's an RS Nytro, so it's a different chassis than our FX Nytros. You might find more info about your sled in the RS section. Good luck.

That's an RS Nytro, so it's a different chassis than our FX Nytros. You might find more info about your sled in the RS section. Good luck.
Yeah, this post was moved from the RS section, but I'm not entirely certain as to why though.

I had a 07 nytro e.r and currently have a 02 zr800efi with a BOSS seat. I had usi spx301 skis on the nytro. I like both sleds but for different reasons. Only real complaint with the nytro was the rear skid. It wouldn't rebound in certain situations causing a harsh bottoming. It is marketed as a bump sled but feel it is more of a trail sled leaning towards aggressive trail. It took more energy to ride the nytro aggressively. It was a good sled to go out all day.

Yeah, this post was moved from the RS section, but I'm not entirely certain as to why though.
It was moved to the RS section because it IS an RS. The FX Nytro is a totally different chassis. The first couple of years the Nytro was built on the RS chassis so any FX info doesn't apply to yours.

It was moved to the RS section because it IS an RS. The FX Nytro is a totally different chassis. The first couple of years the Nytro was built on the RS chassis so any FX info doesn't apply to yours.
Huh? It was moved FROM the RS section TO the FX section, right? Isn't this the FX section? I posted it in the RS section Monday and now there's a redirect from there to here. To be fair though, I've gotten more information here than I did there.

Lol, it's an amazing site, so whatever works! Enjoy the 4stroke! Whenever I start to second guess my suspension setup or ride quality, I just mash the throttle and all of my worries dissappear! Good luck.

Back