• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 yamaha nytro exhaust bolts help

snow11

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 yamaha apex
Hi All
I have a 2008 nitro exhaust donuts are bad so I got in to it today all was going well till I got to the last two bolts under the tank looks like they hold the front of the pipe to the tunnel
I can not get them out !!! Why in the world did they have to a star bolt just a nut world of been nice
So I stripped them out so what to do from here ,I know I can't be the first on the block to do this ,LOL
Thanks for the help

drill them out. Start with a good 3/16" bit and oil. They aren't hard to drill out. You can also leave them and drill out the rivets that hold the hanger to the tunnel. I believe there are 8 3/16" rivets.

Ya that's the way I was going just wanted to make sure I wasn't missed a trick
AND was the trick with all them
black plastic push pins I used a little screw driver worked got to be a better way.

they make a tool for then but I use two screw drivers to pop them loose.

I just did the same job, and there was a thread going about it at the time. The trick to those bolts is to soak them in penetrating oil overnight at least. I was lucky enough to get them out after that. I found it was kind of useless anyhow because I couldn't push the exhaust forward enough to get it off the bracket that mounts it to the tunnel. I had to drill the rivets out to pull the bracket out with the exhaust and it interfered with the tunnel protector mounts. I just drilled the two rivets out and bent it out of the way. It's a crappy job but needs to be done. Had to cut the bolts on the donut clamps too. Good luck!

I agree. That's how I did it but without removing the flex pipes I couldn't get the header off the bracket anyway. Didn't want to open another can of worms with the flex pipes!

I just learned this lesson the hard way myself a few weeks ago...I stripped the heads of those two bolts trying to get the header out too. Just give them some heat with a torch and they'll come out fairly easy. (Fuel tank way out of the way of course ;)!). I used these stripped screw head removing things with the heat to get them out. Pretty sure if I'd just used the torch first they would have come out easy without wrecking the heads. Oh well. Might not have been a bad place to use an actual hex head bolt!

I also had to remove the flex pipes to get donuts in and out. I used penetrating oil on mine for a few days, I did it over the summer when I knew I'd have lots of time and it's warm. Put copper donuts back in and save yourself the hassle for many years.

Is there a step by step on doing the donuts? I'll need to do mine sooner than later.

Dose anyone know the size of the 2 bolts/ screws that hold the front exhaust bracket the one that is up next to the gas tank
my dealership didn't have them in stock mus to be able to get the at a auto parts store

How bad is it to run the sled with the donuts gone the season in Maine is short and this year we haven't had much snow so if it's safe may put it back to gather for now and get back to it in the spring

I did mine at 5100 miles, they got noticeably worse towards the end of the year.

Depends on how bad your donuts are, but an exhaust leak under your fuel tank, if bad, doesn't sound good to me.

Can you hear the clamps rattling? Mine were rattling towards the end of last year and when I tore into the donuts this summer they were pretty much non existent. And I am glad I didn't run the sled much longer in this condition.

Back