• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009/2010 XTX vs MTX differences (looking to buy but cant decide which one)

laxdad

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Phazer MTX
So I'm in The process of looking at buying a 2009 or 2010 Nytro. Other than the obvious difference being the track length I'm looking for honest opinions and people who've maybe Road both the XTX and MTX.

What are the differences between the two when it comes to handling, performance, issues, etc?

My problem is I do a little bit of everything when it comes to riding, but primarily off trail cross country running, some boondocking but nothing crazy and then some trails as well.

Mtx doesn't have tipped up rails and I think has a narrower front end by a couple inches. Gearing might be different too not sure.

Last edited:
Both are good both of the have tipped rails. xtx will do about 100 mph mtx about 88 mph. The mtx 153 20/40 gears and narrower ski stance. I see your in WA so good snows probably not an issue and xtx might come up short for what your looking for mtx does ok on trails but can burn up hifax quick if its well groomed with out loose snow for lube. xtx is much better on trail if it has back country on it it will burn hifax on trail also marginal snow wheel kit will reduce that. If you spend a lot of time off trail mtx would be better if your snow is deeper because nytro's are not lite and stuck sucks. It realy boils down to your riding style. Both are good. I went from phazer xtx to nytro mtx and personaly like longer tracks. I live in northern MN and ride trails when its snowing and like it alot just don't hit corners hard and off trail the rest of the time when the trails are well groomed or icy. I also go out west for the deep stuff my friend rides an xtx and struggles a bit in deep snow but still gets around mtx gets around good but still gets stuck. If you go mtx get a 2010 or newer they have the updated tunnel much better. I think all xtx's have the newer tunnel. I hope my rambling helps you.

I ride a 162mtx and the wife has a 153mtx. We ride in the flatlands of Saskatchewan. On and offtrail, ditchbanging. The difference in length between the XTX and MTX will mostly be tunnel. The MTX tunnel is about 8" longer compared to the XTX. Track on the ground not so much. From the 144" to 153" and 153" to 162" it adds up to about 3" of more track on the ground.
If you are a stand up rider the MTX will have a higher bar riser and I think the skid suspension is different at least on the MTX SE models, they have Fox Floats all the way around. Ski stance on our 2011 MTX's I think is only about 1.5" at most narrower then the XTX. Depends on how you arrange the spacers on the ski bolt.

I prefer longer track sleds for when the trails get pounded out , they make the ride home smoother. A 162 Nytro MTX is about the same overall length as a 2005 Polaris Edge RMK 144". I had one in the shop at the time I brought mine home. Also our MTX's don't get the ice build up that I see on the XTX and shorter nytro's.

If you find a MTX and it still has the maverick track or even a Powderclaw track , you can always cut the track lugs down to 2" or 1.75" and not suffer any real loss in the off trail performance. I did just that to out stock maverick tracks. Swapped out last year to the Powder Claw track and I didn't like the track right off the bat. No hookup on the trail until 30 mph, just folds over and spins like crazy, couldn't tell the difference in the off trail riding between the two tracks. Price was right at $200 for a brand new take off track so I gave it a try. Putting the Maverick back on this year until I can find a good deal on a camoplast Extreme 2.5"

Don't forget there's no sway bar on the MTX's.

20141012_190117.jpg
20140831_191929.jpg
The tunnels running boards have bigger cut outs for a little better snow removal. And the back of the tunnel is cropped a bit for less drag in deep snow. The sled with gray seat is an 08-09 tunnel and the black sled is a 10se. Not sure about 163 but my 153 has/ had a sway bar but with a good set of float shocks its not needed rides better with out it on trail and off. Turning gray sled from 121 to 153 that's why its in peaces.

Back