• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 XTX Overheating / temp light

nytro rocket..... are you running a trail tank? I had some issues with my nytro temp light / cooling issues, which all seemed to be from snow/ice bridging on the front heat exchanger, and it would take a surprisingly short time for this to occur. I made the following mods and have not had any issues since. to start I had made the following change prior to having issues...... I added a rail tank, which drastically reduced the space behind the radiator (and sparkplugs also.....but wouldn't go back to stock). Over the following summer I added an OFT steering relocator, Mountaintech vented dash, I then made some rad relocation spacers to push it ahead creating some more space between rad and gas tank. the relocator is necessary to complete this but, not the vented dash but, it does help a lot I m sure. I guess it would have been better to test one part install at a time to determine the value of each part itself instead of the result of the sum of all the parts as a whole...... sorry too busy/lazy for this . I sent a set of blocks to "dhskir" to try out a set, maybe he ca n also chime in and add some results if any??? I attached a couple pics of spacers I made and what they look like installed. note: both the steering reloactor and vented dash parts are high quality parts.
1- original rad setup (2).JPG
2- rad relocation (1).jpg

Stubb111, no trail tank. I took out the thermostat last night and tested it with a thermometer in a pan on the stove. It is good. Not sure where the temp sensor is but grizztracks had given me the skinny on testing it ( thanks!). Now I just need to figure out how to move forward! Thanks again everyone for the help.

was going to start a thread about my over heating issue, but looks like where having the same problem

last year my over heat light came on a few times, so this past year I installed a mountaintech vent and also an autometer water temp gauge

when I had everything installed I tested to see when my fan kicked on, it turned on when it reached 200 degree's, also checked the coolant level, all fine

so my first ride of the winter was today, sled ran great, but a few miles down the trail I notice the temp rising then all of a sudden my temp light comes on, so I shut it down to let it cool off

decided to turn around and head back, the whole way back it ran great light went out an stayed around 200 degree's

took a pic when it got hot

mt11xx.jpg

disconnect the hoses and pull the thermostat housing out.

Well, I got both the thermostat and the temp sensor out and tested them with a thermometer. They both are working fine. I was really hoping one of the was bad...

I can't imagine I have air in my coolant line, but how do you go about removing it ?

I did remove some coolant an splice into my hose for the sensor, so I guess its possible

My sled will over heat in certain conditions , grab the sled by the handle bars pull it over and you will see the
heat exchanger is packed with wet snow. I dig it out with a stick , this only happens in some conditions .
if anybody knows how to stop this snow from getting packed up in there please let me know . thanks Paul

Last edited:
Just an update. I bought a new thermostat just cause it was apart. I also ordered a temp sensor and have purchased a MTX exchanger. I plan to work on it tomorrow and hopefully get it back together. I still do not know the real cause of the issue, but as long as I have it apart it would be foolish not to add these.

Your exchanger should solve your issue. From what I've read they're not too bad to install.
Good Luck

We have 2 mtx sleds. This year I installed a turbo and put a koso temp gauge on each sled. Mine I installed the sensor into the T-stat housing and the wife's sled I installed the sensor into the hose above the motor. Both sleds have the fan kick in about 1 second after the temp gauge reads 190. Finally got the sleds out for the first ride last weekend and our trails and snow conditions are borderline. Tops of any hill is showing a bit of dirt and the snow texture was like sugar crystals. We both have duraflex cable scratchers and our sleds ran at 154 degrees down the trail. Never thought about putting the scratchers up to see what kind of temp change would happen. Next weekend I will check it out. After reading all these post about guys over heating I was expecting to see the sled running really hot but that was not the case. At least now I can monitor the sleds temp in different snow conditions and catch any high temps before they get critical. The koso gauge is hard to read the blue numbers when it is a brite sunny day.

Did you install an extra heat exchanger with the turbo??

MTX sleds already come with the tunnel heat exchanger. I was thinking about installing a extra one until I talked to a few guys in the area that had temp gauges and none of them run over 175 degrees so I figured I would see what it was like for one winter with the turbo and stock heat exchangers.

Back