• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 hand warmer frustration

tippmannator

VIP Member
So I got the xtx used....it was still under warrenty when the left hand warmer went out....it was warrentied and repaired mid last season... now 2 rides into this season same hand warmer goes out again.... is there some underlying issue here?

It's a pretty easy job to replace them. Last year I bent my bars and had to get new. I heated up the grips with a heat gun, twisted them off, carefully peeled of the heating elements and reused them on the new bars. Still working great!

Yes the hand warmers always sucked on my Nytro, but they never stopped working. I would check the wiring to see if its pinched somewhere. Did you do any mods like handguards or handlebar riser? Added strain on the wires could cause trouble.

I say figure out what is causing it to quit first, then invest in a Yamaheater if needed.

I had the same issue on my 2010. Replaced them twice. My problem was that the first time I replaced the hand warmer I had a kink in the warmer and it broke there. Make sure to take the time to install them as smooth as possible.

Yamaheaters rock, installed those too. If I remember correctly they didn't actually come with heating elements tho.

No mods grimm........and had a loval dealer replace the last heater.....try and look at it tomorrow and look for wiring kinks...

I had the same issues with mine. Dealer installed two warmers on the same side under warranty. I finally did it myself and it's been good for three year's. The key is to make sure there are no kinks, no air pockets and that the warmer is fully supported. If there is any movement of the warmer when squeezing the grips it will fail. Hope this helps.

So I want to replace this myself....I havnt done snowmobile grips before...but I have experience with mt. Bike grips.... it this similar just with the set screws? Are the screws the only thing that hold the grip? Or is there an adhesive as well?

So I want to replace this myself....I havnt done snowmobile grips beore...but I have experience with mt. Bike grips.... it this similar just with the set screws? Are the screws the only thing that hold the grip? Or is there an adhesive as well?

You will need to glue the warmer to the bar and then glue the grip over top. I have used 5 minute epoxy with good success. The key is to take your time and make sure the warmer is fully supported along its entire surface. Air gaps beneath the warmer will allow it to flex and eventually lead to failure. After the grip is on you will have to secure it with pop rivets.

Last time I did it I put the warmers on with epoxy and then held them tight to the bar with electrical tape to ensure good contact. After 5 minutes I peeled the electrical tape and glued on the grips.

My 2012 burns my hands at 0 Deg f and I have to turn them down to about 3 bars ( I have bad circulation in my hands so they always freeze), but since owning the Nytro I can ride down to -5 without any hand issues. They must have fixed it on the 2012.

Pete

Well usually the grips keep pretty warm...unless it dips into -0 temps them I brake out the bar mits and that curbs it... still wanna do the yamaheaters for really cold days....

So I want to replace this myself....I havnt done snowmobile grips before...but I have experience with mt. Bike grips.... it this similar just with the set screws? Are the screws the only thing that hold the grip? Or is there an adhesive as well?

They are definitely glued to the bars...also, there is a rivet holding them on too. When you glue the new set on, use plenty of adhesive and give it time to cure. You don't want them moving at all, else you'll encounter issues.

Back