• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014-2015 Yellowknife Mileage Log

The wierdest part of this is some have issues and some do not. It seems that less than 25% of the Viper owner have it and even less 7000 cat riders do.

I have had a turbo since new which you would think would not affect it at start up and I have been to -35 F with mine and no issues even stop shut off to check trail maps and start right back up. Warm start issues have been the least of my problems.

I chatted with several owners last season and they didn't have any issues... Flat out loved them... Hm. Luck of the draw ???????????MM.

Those Viper do look like a sweet ride. I'm sure they ride way better than my old Warrior. I probably wouldn't have any of the issues that YK had since I don't have the extremes of riding conditions that he has. I don't have the cold like that and I ride on groomed trails. So I wouldn't have the cold start problems and I wouldn't have issues with ingesting snow. I don't have to worry about a different sled for a while anyways, the budget wont allow it.

Thanks for the update YK. I took a pretty close look at the AXYs during the 2015 Sneak Peek last spring, but that's never as good as real world experience. I would really like to know if the Axys lives up to the billing or whether the changes are just more manufacturing marketing hype. I know I can always count on you to provide the honest scoop.

I will do my best - first I need to convince Charles to give me some seat time. People are calling me the sled reaper around Yellowknife ;-)

Still have the yammiecat huh. You couldn't find any spare TNT ? Really, good luck this season. I hope "ALL" improvements work out.. On a side note.. Our winter here came and went in Nov.. 30" of snow then Dec. came and "ALL" the snow left.. Now nothing.. MM.:die#$%&*:whine:

If I could have afforded it, the Viper would be sold at a loss with an Axys replacing it - that would have been the (stupid) decision. (stupid decision because there I would go - buying first year production sleds again, I gotta stop that!) We are finally getting small amounts of snow this week. I hope your riding conditions reinvent themselves soon!

My buds Nytro starts in -38C with little or no trouble. Why the same motor in a Catamaha won't is puzzling! Should be easy to transfer the mapping you would think. Hope you get some snow your vids are entertaining! The pole tent, the fishing and the getting stuck's are top notch. Mostly for the spontaneity of it all.

There's some 'stucks' in the first episode below!

The wierdest part of this is some have issues and some do not. It seems that less than 25% of the Viper owner have it and even less 7000 cat riders do.

I have had a turbo since new which you would think would not affect it at start up and I have been to -35 F with mine and no issues even stop shut off to check trail maps and start right back up. Warm start issues have been the least of my problems.

Yeah, I don't understand what within these sleds allows some to have problems and others not have problems. I don't know if its conditions - but that would make sense (temps) for cold starts but not hot start issues.

OK - I FINALLY have the first episode up. Please enjoy!!

2015 Snowmobile Season: Episode One: Axys Debut

Video Description: The debut of Charles' 2015 Polaris Axys 800 Rush Pro-X, the latest on the Viper, Charles hones his balancing skills, pre-season checks on the Yamaha EF1000i Generator, riding in the worst start for snow conditions I have seen in 14 years and pre-fuel mapping update Viper trials.

Cheers,

YK

Yellow I just would go nuts if I had to cycle 4 times and pray!!!! I dont get it at -35 F which is a bit colder than your -35 C and have never had to crank a 2nd time.

I am glad to see I'm not the only 1 who gets stuck in the sticks. I also bought an Axys this year and have been waiting patiently to get it out to try. I got the S 800 because all the mags said the X was shocked stiff but now after seeing many reports I wish I would have gone with the X. The bigger lugged track and suspension travel will be missed.

Yellow I just would go nuts if I had to cycle 4 times and pray!!!! I dont get it at -35 F which is a bit colder than your -35 C and have never had to crank a 2nd time.

I am glad to see I'm not the only 1 who gets stuck in the sticks. I also bought an Axys this year and have been waiting patiently to get it out to try. I got the S 800 because all the mags said the X was shocked stiff but now after seeing many reports I wish I would have gone with the X. The bigger lugged track and suspension travel will be missed.

Ohh, keep chiming in here on this thread on how you like your Axys. (and I have gone nuts/am crazy because of the Viper lol)

what kind of boots are you wearing when you got to try the yamaha generator?

They are made by the Muck Boot Company, mine are here: http://www.muckbootcompany.com/product/Mens-Arctic-Sport-Extreme-conditions-sport-boot-ASP/MWINTER

But they have another warmer pair that I would get if I could do over (though I love mine - but they aren't warm enough for standing around ice fishing in our -30/-40 temps, remember their temperature ratings are based on being active) Here's the slightly warmer pair: http://www.muckbootcompany.com/product/Mens-Artic-Pro-extreme-conditions-hunting-boot/MWINTER

It rides great in the shop, not on snow yet. I did a major upgrade to the viper pushing the turbo to 12#'s of boost and changed the shock package from Evol Rc2 to Axis and installed Hygear coupler in the rear skid to keep it from wheelying everywhere. I got that out for testing but our snow left us. Was supposed to take both up on the TY ride this weekend but its to be 45 deg F and I don't want to risk another motor.

I will update the ride on the Axys after I get it through 10 hr breakin.

Ohh, keep chiming in here on this thread on how you like your Axys. (and I have gone nuts/am crazy because of the Viper lol)

They are made by the Muck Boot Company, mine are here: http://www.muckbootcompany.com/product/Mens-Arctic-Sport-Extreme-conditions-sport-boot-ASP/MWINTER

But they have another warmer pair that I would get if I could do over (though I love mine - but they aren't warm enough for standing around ice fishing in our -30/-40 temps, remember their temperature ratings are based on being active) Here's the slightly warmer pair: http://www.muckbootcompany.com/product/Mens-Artic-Pro-extreme-conditions-hunting-boot/MWINTER

are they heavy? good to walk in?

thanks

It rides great in the shop, not on snow yet. I did a major upgrade to the viper pushing the turbo to 12#'s of boost and changed the shock package from Evol Rc2 to Axis and installed Hygear coupler in the rear skid to keep it from wheelying everywhere. I got that out for testing but our snow left us. Was supposed to take both up on the TY ride this weekend but its to be 45 deg F and I don't want to risk another motor.

I will update the ride on the Axys after I get it through 10 hr breakin.

Right on - looking forward to your thoughts.

are they heavy? good to walk in?

thanks

I use them for everything from walking to work in snow/winter to hunting in the fall and short durations outside where I won't be standing around. They are a rubber/neoprene boot so they don't evacuate moisture, so you have to allow them time to dry out in between use (bottom foot felt is removable). I don't find them heavy - but I'm used to wearing larger/heavier Baffin's and older Sorel's. I stopped using my winter hikers and started using these for walking around in winter.

Oh man that poo looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet ! Soon you should have the new map system on. That should help this problem. >>>>>>>>>:brrr: MM.

Oh man that poo looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet ! Soon you should have the new map system on. That should help this problem. >>>>>>>>>:brrr: MM.

The new fuel mapping is in my Viper and testing has begun. I got 3 tests in before the temps warmed up and we started getting snow this week. No extreme cold in forecast. Preliminary tests indicate improvement in starting capability, but it is still not what it should be. Stay tuned!

It sounds like it's turning over well now. Why cycle it? Just turn the key all the way right away. Don't even let pump cycle. Seems to work on my buddies 7000 cat. How do you like the brake lever on the Polaris vs the Viper one?

It sounds like it's turning over well now. Why cycle it? Just turn the key all the way right away. Don't even let pump cycle. Seems to work on my buddies 7000 cat. How do you like the brake lever on the Polaris vs the Viper one?

I cycle it because that's what Yamaha has advised, they claim it gives the ECU time to read sensors, like opening a laptop and waiting for it to boot up a moment in standby mode before you can use it. Last year I did everything including turning the key right away, and I actually found that to work slightly better but even still it didn't start many times and there was no consistency. Now with new fuel mapping, I'm still figuring it out - kinda starting from scratch again, because the starting is not flawless with the new fuel mapping, but preliminary results indicate the starting is better. The video in Episode One doesn't have the new fuel mapping. The turning over well is because of a new starter and coolant heater being plugged in, fully charged battery, etc.

I haven't ridden the Polaris yet - I got on it for 5 minutes on low snow/on ice so that doesn't qualify hahaha, didn't touch the brake or notice the lever. Was never a fan of the Viper lever, and noticed just now riding home from work that I've lost braking ability and my fluid level is down.

Are they (yamaha)still advising cycling key 4 times now that you had the reflash? You should be able to just turn the key and it starts. Like a car. As longs as it turns over at a decent rate it should start right up. Anything else is unacceptable.
I haven't seen it but some guys are having the master cylinder replaced. I found my brake pads had big grooves in the backing plates from the piston. Only 3000mi. Pads were 75% but really junk because of that groove.

Back