• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014-2015 Yellowknife Mileage Log

Are they (yamaha)still advising cycling key 4 times now that you had the reflash? You should be able to just turn the key and it starts. Like a car. As longs as it turns over at a decent rate it should start right up. Anything else is unacceptable.
I haven't seen it but some guys are having the master cylinder replaced. I found my brake pads had big grooves in the backing plates from the piston. Only 3000mi. Pads were 75% but really junk because of that groove.

I haven't had a discussion with Yamaha since the fuel mapping update regarding cycling the key. What i'm finding, regardless of temperature with the new fuel mapping is (when engine is cold from no overnight use) the engine will not start on the first attempt, yet after shutting it off and trying a second time it fires up (the way it should the first time).

Thanks for the brake info.

Right on - looking forward to your thoughts.

I use them for everything from walking to work in snow/winter to hunting in the fall and short durations outside where I won't be standing around. They are a rubber/neoprene boot so they don't evacuate moisture, so you have to allow them time to dry out in between use (bottom foot felt is removable). I don't find them heavy - but I'm used to wearing larger/heavier Baffin's and older Sorel's. I stopped using my winter hikers and started using these for walking around in winter.

They are awsome. I have had a pair for 2 years now and also use them for everything. I find them extremely comfortable and light. They are all I use and i put my big sorels in the shed. I find if you roll the top down it lets them dry faster. Like Allan says they do not breath
As for the honda generator, you will love it. I have the 2000 and it has worked flawlessly, but then I don't use it in the winter like you do. That axis is a cool looking sled but it sure looks busy in the back end. Will be interesting to see how it rides.
I love yamaha but it scares me with the issues that you are having and that yamaha still hasnt figured it out. Thats just not right. You have been having these issues since last year and they still haven't figured it out.

Last edited:
Also, make sure you don't use premium gas in those temps. It has a higher ignition temperature, but I'm sure you know that. We just want you to have a good season..

Here's the latest episode;

2015 Snowmobile Season: Episode Two: Axys Issues and New Viper Fuel Mapping

Video Description: Riding in terrible conditions with Nate, Andrew and Charles, first impressions from Charles on the Axys compared to the Pro-R, early season trail clearing, a top speed run of 150 km/h with the Viper, the Viper's failing LCD screen, the ongoing starting issues with the Viper, Charles has the first two issue's with his Axys, Brayden wipes out on the ice with the Nytro, some wildlife on the helmet camera, the Viper gets new fuel mapping and we put it to the test, plucking the foam in a pelican case for a new toy, more new fuel mapping testing in -35 C conditions with mixed results.

Cheers,
YK

Man you guys ride on some rough trails !! Glad to see the Viper seems to have been helped by the new fuel mapping.

I really do like the looks of the Viper. I think for the type of riding I do it would be a great sled. Most of the trails I ride are groomed and tight and twisty. I most likely wouldn't have the issues you have in the conditions we have where I live. You guys are hard core ridin' in those temps.

Thanks for the videos, I just love to see how you're doing up there. It makes our riding area seem pretty cushy.

You guys should chip in and get a rattler for the group, it will save your back from all the tugging and pulling.

It's weird. After the mapping, the first try is a no, then the second it wants to fire. I'm hearing there's been quite a few issues with Poo Axys.

I really do like the looks of the Viper. I think for the type of riding I do it would be a great sled. Most of the trails I ride are groomed and tight and twisty. I most likely wouldn't have the issues you have in the conditions we have where I live. You guys are hard core ridin' in those temps.

I bet you're right - there's a guy here who purchased one, and he drives it on day trips, from his garage, back to his garage, so it never deals with extreme cold, and I think he's happy.

Thanks for the videos, I just love to see how you're doing up there. It makes our riding area seem pretty cushy.

You guys should chip in and get a rattler for the group, it will save your back from all the tugging and pulling.

A rattler, is that like a snobungee?

It's weird. After the mapping, the first try is a no, then the second it wants to fire. I'm hearing there's been quite a few issues with Poo Axys.

Yeah, the first try I can almost tell just by listening to it that yep, it's not going to go, no matter how long I crank. Turn it off, let it be 30 seconds, then try again and boom, fires up. If that's all it takes to get it started this year, I can deal with that - but why it doesn't want to fire up on the first try, i don't know. Is the ECU not getting proper info until it cranks awhile? Is the air intake sensor reading false because of the block heater, and the fresh air of turning it over on the first try correcting that for the second try? It's odd but there's an explanation - I'm just not sure if I want to push Yamaha to try and sort it out any further if it works on the second try reliably. More shop time = less riding time. I'll sort out next steps after my testing is done. I want to do 10 cold starts (-30 C or below) total before I get in touch with YMC again on it.

I have to browse HCS I guess to find out how other Axys units are doing - I hear the new doo's are also having issues with the new keys.

Back