• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014-2015 Yellowknife Mileage Log

So is the viper gone, Or did you get rid of a nytro?
Thats a sweet looking renegade. Is it a 600? Cant tell the pic is a little too blury

So Allen. How many scuff marks are on your sled now ??????????????? Can you say tight spots.. MM.

Last edited:
Great to see that you are actually riding versus diagnosing issues on the Viper. That "smoke show" is starting to rear its ugly head though and not just with your sled...others seem to be complaing about the steam in their face more and more. I highly doubt that Yamaha will do anything about the steam issue though as its not defective.

Happy riding.

Allan - Your friend with the new polaris, what kind/brand of helmet is he using?

Looks very practikal and wonder if you would recomend to buy one?

So is the viper gone, Or did you get rid of a nytro?
Thats a sweet looking renegade. Is it a 600? Cant tell the pic is a little too blury

I still have the Viper and both Nytro's at the moment. Episode Five should have your answer ;-)

So Allen. How many scuff marks are on your sled now ??????????????? Can you say tight spots.. MM.

Yeah our trails are seeing less and less traffic for whatever reason, so they are growing in more and more.

Great to see that you are actually riding versus diagnosing issues on the Viper. That "smoke show" is starting to rear its ugly head though and not just with your sled...others seem to be complaing about the steam in their face more and more. I highly doubt that Yamaha will do anything about the steam issue though as its not defective.

Happy riding.

The problem is the fit and finish on the Viper, at least the 2014's isn't good enough for people riding in powder snow, especially when that snow is fine/granular, and the colder the temperature you are powder riding at, the worse the problem is. I blame Arctic Cat's crappy fit and finish - I can stick my finger in between panels on different spots, it's the worst i've seen on any sled i've owned.

Allan - Your friend with the new polaris, what kind/brand of helmet is he using?

Looks very practikal and wonder if you would recomend to buy one?

It's a BV2S - I use that type as well. Expensive, but awesome for cold weather riding. I'm not sure how much they've changed since I purchased mine in 2005 or 2006. i recommend them though, especially if you can get a deal on them.

OK, next video is up!

2015 Snowmobile Season: Episode Four: Stealthy Fox

Video Description: Fresh snow falling and mild temps out at the wall tent, breaking trail to Reid Lake, ice fishing with Brayden, dinner at the tent, evidence of the beginning of a war with a frequent visitor, getting firewood, Brayden snares his first animal, another encounter with our 'troublemaker', breaking trail down to Great Slave Lake, a -28 C Viper test without plugging it in on new fuel mapping, a -37 C Viper test WITH being plugged in for 3 hours, heading out to the lodge at -39 C Christmas Day with Brayden, Margaret and Janice, the first time using the new Honda Generator at -37 C, a -37 C Viper test with being plugged in for 1 hour vs. the Nytro XTX.

Cheers!

YK

How long before the viper started ? Did you ever catch that darn sneaky fox?? Fun vid. as always. MM.

Nice to see you guys have some good snow now. I'm going to head out Saturday morning for my first ride this winter. The trails may not be great, but they are ride able. I can't wait !!

"I got 7 years out of the Phazer's battery.

Anyway, I think a 600 e-tec is taking the lead in what i'd like in the future..."

I think it's interesting that your leaning towards a snowmobile with an engine that won't last anywhere near as long as your Yamaha's battery. :4STroke:

Anyway, I think a 600 e-tec is taking the lead in what i'd like in the future..."

I think it's interesting that your leaning towards a snowmobile with an engine that won't last anywhere near as long as your Yamaha's battery. :4STroke:

Quite possibly my favorite zinger of all time!

How long before the viper started ? Did you ever catch that darn sneaky fox?? Fun vid. as always. MM.

3 hours (in the next video you'll see, i've got it down to 2 hours - 1 hour isn't enough for the Viper) We haven't seen Mr. Fox since lol

Nice to see you guys have some good snow now. I'm going to head out Saturday morning for my first ride this winter. The trails may not be great, but they are ride able. I can't wait !!

Yeah we were happy about the fresh snow too. Hope you're enjoying the trails!!

ouch, now them 4 stroke vs 2 stroke jabs begin! lol - I know what I'm getting myself into ;-) I had 3 two stroke sleds from BRP before I starting buying 4 strokes - but really I don't think there are many who, with the amount of problems I've had with the Viper would stick with it - most wouldn't. A working sled that's reliable and fun to drive (my viper isn't either of those things) that needs an engine rebuild every 7,000 km's sounds a lot better to me than a Viper that I can't enjoy because of its constant problems.

That brings me to the next episode, so enjoy!!

2015 Snowmobile Season: Episode Five: Fires and Moose

Video Description: Revealing the devastation caused by months of forest fires in the summer and fall of 2014, visiting the last place we had the wall tent that was also consumed by fire, getting stuck and unstuck, the Viper starts after a little more morning plugin time, trying to improve the steam issue on the Viper, nailing down the amount of time the Viper needs to be plugged in, my final verdict on the new fuel mapping, breaking trail with the Nytro XTX, a little bit of slush/overflow on the lake, tracking some fresh moose sign, showing how much the water level has dropped on our lakes, finding the moose, visiting the second last wall tent location, the Viper has a NEW starting issue but makes a liar out of me on film, Andrew is treated by Edie for neck frostbite, the Viper repeats its NEW starting issue only hours later, this time on film, firing up the truck at Reid Lake heading home from the lodge, and a surreal moose hunt.

Cheers,

YK

You had a moose costume draped over your Viper didn't you? You rigged up a remote control for the Viper throttle.............shot it again....then after you stopped the camera flames are shooting up in the air.......the Viper is officially dead!

Yep I'm nutz!!!! :confused:

I did enjoy the riding this past weekend. I did a lot of work this summer with a suspension swap and an Apex Radiator and also Ulmer front end bushing to the old Warrior. It seemed good that all the time and money was worth it. I made some more tweaks to the rear suspension tonight and it really handles good now. That really sucks about the damage that the forest fire caused, but nature always heals itself with time. I hope if you get a different brand sled you don't forget about us here on TY and keep posting your videos. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter what you ride, as long as it makes you happy.

X-2 ^^^^^ Please keep us informed.. ;)! You've kept the Viper waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than I would have.. MM.

Back