• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014-2015 Yellowknife Mileage Log

All that riding, in that country, all by yourself. You are a much braver man than me YK!

All I can say is to think about getting A-arm protectors and a bellypan protector. Won't take much to twist up all that linkage you showed us underneath.

Be safe(r) my friend!

I have a bad shoulder also.. I refer to it as "OLD AGE" LaLaLaThat could have been soooooooo much worse another 12" to the right..... How did your RPM's work out for ya after the check-up ?? MM

Damn you were lucky like MadMax said a little more to the right and it would've been much worse. Glad your okay though. You are brave doing the riding you do by yourself. Especially riding a Ski Doo . ;) Sorry I just had to do it. LOL

Correct me if I am wrong but you liked the ride and handling of the V XTX from the beginning?
Without being being combative is it worth a recap of the problems?
Primarily being cold starting and snow ingestion?
One of the little things I remember was something to do with the Float going flat I am sure there must have been others, but . . .

I agree it looks easy to ride, the low speed traction and ability to just get up on snow looks awesome with the donkey. But really other than the snow ingestion, being the Doo being somewhat lighter, and some cold starting issues the Viper doesn't seem that bad. In a recent episode, they all started at -30C without being plugged in. Your cold starting issues looked like a combination of low voltage and wrong fuel air mixture for pressure and temperature. The solenoid issue reminds me of the frozen relays we deal with sometimes from condensation or washing the sled, I think that is resolvable. Better mapping, more CCAs, a revised solenoid, maybe a little throttle. I'm no expert but your cold starting issues may have been exacerbated by the plugging in confusing the sensors for lack of a more sophisticated way of putting it.

I just find it somewhat disingenuous to have long on air diatribe rants about the Viper while completely glossing over the issues of the Doo. This seems to be endemic to SD riders. Every problem is no problem because the ride is so good. I do enjoy the videos. I want one of each to decide for myself but I would get a 900 Ace instead of the grenade. Glad you are enjoying the ride.

Correct me if I am wrong but you liked the ride and handling of the V XTX from the beginning?
One of the little things I remember was something to do with the Float going flat I am sure there must have been others, but . . .

I agree it looks easy to ride, the low speed traction and ability to just get up on snow looks awesome with the donkey. But really other than the snow ingestion, being the Doo being somewhat lighter, and some cold starting issues the Viper doesn't seem that bad. In a recent episode, they all started at -30C without being plugged in. Your cold starting issues looked like a combination of low voltage and wrong fuel air mixture for pressure and temperature. The solenoid issue reminds me of the frozen relays we deal with sometimes from condensation or washing the sled, I think that is resolvable. Better mapping, more CCAs, a revised solenoid, maybe a little throttle. I'm no expert but your cold starting issues may have been exacerbated by the plugging in confusing the sensors for lack of a more sophisticated way of putting it.

I just find it somewhat disingenuous to have long on air diatribe rants about the Viper while completely glossing over the issues of the Doo. This seems to be endemic to SD riders. Every problem is no problem because the ride is so good. I do enjoy the videos. I want one of each to decide for myself but I would get a 900 Ace instead of the grenade. Glad you are enjoying the ride.

I need popcorn and beer emoticons! Can't WAIT to see YK's reaction to this post!

Big ride extra gas and no extra oil?

Breaking trail like that looks like a lot of fun-on SOMEONE ELSE'S SLED! Not mine...

I'm fighting the same BS windshield design on our Doo. It's great for easy removal, but the gap is ridiculous as it lets snow up through and into the glove box etc.

I look forward to your posts. It doesn't matter what you ride, just keep em coming!

I think that oil consumption came as a surprise. As he noted after the call, that it should get better on more packed snow. The Etecs in our group literally sip oil. They fill that oil tank like every three fills, and burn like a gallon a year.

Obviously, when out in the bush, topping each time would make sense, but I do think Allan was caught off guard. Heck, it probably was forgotten since he's been riding 4-strokes for so long!

Keep up the good work, and keep the vids coming!

I know my wife's doo uses much more oil when breaking trails in deep snow.. Other wise it's good.. MM.

Holy responses batman...here goes...

All that riding, in that country, all by yourself. You are a much braver man than me YK!

All I can say is to think about getting A-arm protectors and a bellypan protector. Won't take much to twist up all that linkage you showed us underneath.

Be safe(r) my friend!

Yeah, the riding alone is because anyone with the desire to ride along is tied to other commitments for the most part, but I don't let that stop me. I have a good team of rescuers on standby and a sat phone and a spot device. Nothing is fool proof, but I feel fairly prepared most of the time. I will get the grip n rip and the skid plate as soon as I have the cashola. Right now it's between gas money and accessories! lol I am playing with fire not having that protection up front though.

I have a bad shoulder also.. I refer to it as "OLD AGE" LaLaLaThat could have been soooooooo much worse another 12" to the right..... How did your RPM's work out for ya after the check-up ?? MM

lol - i'm looking at approx a year for the shoulder to go through its stages. The RPM's have been good since the RAVE cleaning.

Damn you were lucky like MadMax said a little more to the right and it would've been much worse. Glad your okay though. You are brave doing the riding you do by yourself. Especially riding a Ski Doo . ;) Sorry I just had to do it. LOL

2 stroke KA-BOOM!! lol it's a question of when, not if ;-)

I liked the ride and handling of the V XTX in the beginning, as in, first impressions. In fact, lessons learned from the Viper (in part) include not reviewing a sled i've purchased (moving forward) until it has some real miles on it under the varying terrain and conditions I ride in...unless of coarse it's a demo sled or someone else's that I only have for a ride or two...

Needless to say, in my opinion, the recap is definitely warranted, and needed - cause it's easy to overlook both minor and major differences between one sled experience to another. I'm reminded of that every time I get back on one of my older sleds. Sometimes you don't really realize how inferior a product is until you get on something better - and get a wake up call in the process about what you've been missing. That characterizes my experience up to this point going from my Viper or Nytro's for that matter to the Backcountry.

The range of issue's i've had on the Viper go from one-off's like the float issue you mention, to repetitive issues, that you don't really understand the full impact of until you ride, ride, and ride some more through varying terrain and conditions. For me, there's lessons to be learned. For many others, they appreciate those lessons, and they appreciate not having to be the one who spent a significant amount of money on a new sled to end up disappointed in the end. I detail and review and repeat those lessons for the benefit of those who can learn with me - and if nothing else, for me to watch back myself whenever i'm considering a new sled, especially a first year production model.

The cold starting and snow ingestion in particular - I think they're totally worth over-stating - look at my riding conditions and style - It's cold up here, a lot, and I love to ride through powder, and our powder is unique... So i'm definitely going to highlight and review those issues, especially when they were overall the most significant problems and disappointments I have had with the Viper - and snow ingestion issues have included ALL of my previous sleds up to this point with the exception of the Backcountry and my 2002 Renegade. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get the Nytro's to stop ingesting snow, but eventually I got there - on the Viper, it has been a lost cause. The sled is just not built for me, my style, and conditions, and if there are those out there who ride in a similar category to those of mine who can benefit from my experiences, then that's a job well done in my books, and a large part of why I do these video's. Sharing knowledge is valuable, and certainly it is never a one opinion fits-all approach. People can take it with a grain of sand as many do, and many others will outright make choices based on my experiences in the video's.

So, cold starts - big problem for me and being able to ride. Powder ingestion - big problem for me and being able to ride. Now 'somewhat lighter' - at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many pounds difference there are - what matters to me, is the handling differences, many of which I believe are focused around the lighter weight. You just can't expect every sled to do everything equally. I look at what i need it to do, and want it to do, and can say without prejudice that the Backcountry simply does it better - for me that is.

You're right, the cold start issue is fixed - which is great news, but none of the other facts are fixed. You're going into more specifics that I think I have been reminding people of this season, and I don't want to get into the laundry list of Viper problems for me, but there's no denying for myself that these two sleds are miles apart for what I do with them, and the Viper just doesn't hold a candle to my Backcountry, for me. I'm definitely going to be brutally honest about it, because it is that significant for me every single time I jump on either sled.

I also agree that the Viper may not like the plugging in and it may be throwing off first and second starting attempt sensor readings. But look at the big picture from my shoes. Should I really be dealing with all this on a new sled I just spent $18,000 on including the cost of loading it up with better front shocks and accessories? I paid and am still paying for that machine, so I'm reserving the right to my opinion on it in every video I publish. I'm not trying to sound defensive, I'm simply stating that there's a lot of reasons I bring up the negatives of any product when comparing them to others that may be better suited for me or others.

I'm sorry you find it disingenuous, but we'll have to agree to disagree. The doo isn't getting a free ride on my channel, or a paid one for that matter. I've been nothing but factual and honest with every aspect of the sled thus far, and will continue to use the credibility i've built with folks on here, on DT, and online to inform and enlighten folks to the experiences I have on the products I use.

If you're interested in me talking about BRP issues that I haven't experienced (yet), i'm not interested - I have more than enough to film with the real life experiences I put these sleds through every ride. If you really spent a real amount of time watching what I publish, you'd see nobody gets a free ride from me - and the fact that you show ignorance grouping 'doo riders' together as folks who gloss over the problems makes me question your credibility, and that's just my opinion. Every problem has its own degree of severity, and the reality is sometimes a problem isn't such a big deal when so many positives outweigh the negatives, of which I have very few to outline thus far with the Backcountry. I've only got 2,000 km's on this sled so far, so it's still early - but i'm going to give credit where credit is due, and if that's at the expense of my experience with the Viper, I'm pretty sure most people can understand considering everything i've gone through fighting with that sled. I'm glad you enjoy the video's, and I give you my word that I am not and will not pass over the issues I have with any product I use, and likewise I will speak to their strengths and positive factors that help me love the sport.

And that's my rant - no intention to offend or inflame your statement, just giving my honest response.

Breaking trail like that looks like a lot of fun-on SOMEONE ELSE'S SLED! Not mine...

I'm fighting the same BS windshield design on our Doo. It's great for easy removal, but the gap is ridiculous as it lets snow up through and into the glove box etc.

Yeah, I kinda took a step backwards in the brains department not bringing spare oil. I really underestimated the sleds drinking ability at high RPM's lol

Where does that snow-plough V accessory install? Would that help the windshield gap? I don't put anything inside that 'heated' glove box, so I haven't had to fight snow ingestion with it.

I look forward to your posts. It doesn't matter what you ride, just keep em coming!

Thx! I will do my best!

I think that oil consumption came as a surprise. As he noted after the call, that it should get better on more packed snow. The Etecs in our group literally sip oil. They fill that oil tank like every three fills, and burn like a gallon a year.

Obviously, when out in the bush, topping each time would make sense, but I do think Allan was caught off guard. Heck, it probably was forgotten since he's been riding 4-strokes for so long!

Keep up the good work, and keep the vids coming!

You're right on the money!!

I know my wife's doo uses much more oil when breaking trails in deep snow.. Other wise it's good.. MM.

I'm keeping my eye on the fluid consumptions pertaining to various conditions.

#1 rule of 2 stroke: Start with a full tank of oil.

Agreed! Lesson learned and since applied!

I wish mine used more oil.......

lol

OK - after all that, it's time for the next episode - enjoy!

2015 Snowmobile Season: Episode Nine: Pure Powder

Video Description: Riding with Andrew, checking out the damage to his sled, Allan provides a nickel-worth of training on 'how to powder ride' for Jay Legere, various powder riding footage of the first real run carving in the deeper snow with the Renegade Backcountry 600 E-TEC, another wall tent weekend adventure with Brayden at -42.2 C, starting the 600 E-TEC in our coldest conditions of the year, towing the heaviest load of the year with the 600 E-TEC Backcountry, a slew of fish, and a surprise visitor in the air during our ride home.

Cheers!

YK

Congrats on a verrrrrrrrrrrry entertaining vid. Thanks for the riding lesson.. You do have fun.. MM.;)!

Allan that does look like fun carving in the powder !! I don't really have anywhere to do that here since your not supposed to ride off the trail in Vt. The little field behind my house isn't quite big enough either. Wow 40 below !! BRRR. I've been catching up on your older videos since I just discovered them a while ago. I have a question for you. How did you like those Fox Zero shocks for your Nytro? I can't find any good quality gas shocks for my Grand Touring skid I installed in my Warrior. I found someone who said he can custom make me a set of those Fox Zeros for me. Keep filming and having fun !!

Back