• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 Yamaha SRX 120

yamahahaapex

TY 4 Stroke Master
Hi guys, looking at buying an SRX for the little one and Im just wondering if anyone had a take on them or some experiences good/bad. How is the maintenance? There is not much too them but seeing as how its a 4-stroke it should be fine. Thanks

Im sure theres no worry maintenance wise, but be warned.. they are SLOW.... kid tried one and it topped out at 12km/h. I could easy run ahead of him. It will get boring fast. So prepare to do work with gearing, clutching, etc once your kid is 6+.

Went with a Chinese 4s mini sled and it goes 32km/h out of the box. 3rd season and still happy. Spent a bit of money on it but none of it was to make it go faster.

Good luck whatever route you go

ok, good to know. I see there is a kit to do all that. Rather than bypassing the governor which sounds like it could be harsh on the unit?
Not sure, but really, i dont think a little extra rpm on a 120 4s is really gonna hurt it. I guess everything depends on how old your kid is and how fast YOU want them to go! Haha. I dealt with Mid-West mini on some parts a few times and I highly recommend them for any mini sled parts/upgrades.

If you ever see a chinese unit for sale they are great (and based off a GY125 scooter engine), IF you have some electrical skills. Thats usually the stuff that fails on them, none of it hard to fix though.

Almost bought a cat120 but the deal fell through, so we looked for new and the chinese mini was the only thing I could find with a reasonable delivery time. Thats how I ended up with it.

The powers that be have governed them mini sleds to 8mph out of the box. I zip tied the governor when my kids as they got older on our 120 Poo. I think it went 12mph.
There are gear kits to make them a 20mph unit or you can spend about 6k and make it a 60mph racer.
As far as maintenance went I would change the oil every season and fix the windshield clips.
Bought it used, put 7 seasons on it and sold it for the same as what I bought it for. The used ones don't drop in value around here.

like mentioned above you can resell it for near what you paid for it if you buy a used one. price of a new one is totally ridiculous. i waited until the oldest was 8 or 9 years old and then i bought a used formula 380,i governed it until he as able to handle it himself and they were able to use it on the trails once they were 12. I kept it until both boys outgrow it, got almost what i paid for it. not having the really small sled did not turn them off at all. they both have there own sleds and love to ride.

good luck

Last edited:

Back