• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 apex hp?what is it at now?

I hate to even say this, but it was probably Yamaha's biggest mistake was keeping the Apex name on that sled in 2011. After owning an '07 and '12, it should have been changed it is that different, and that much of an improvement.

I think the Yamaha Apex faithful would have seen through all the marketing and realized all that we loved about the apex was still there. But it would have opened our eyes earlier, that enough had changed, that this sled needed to be called something different. Some will never understand just how much better it is until they throw a leg over one.

I can't say it enough. But you will never see this big kid giggle more than when I squeeze the fun-flipper!

I bet that Apex makes you giggle when you hit the fun flipper. My old Warrior still has some very good gitty up and go to be fun. These 4 strokes are amazing !!

This is turning into a "I love my Apex post"

So lets get back to the original post...............................What's the HP #s on the new Apex. Anyone know?

This is turning into a "I love my Apex post"

So lets get back to the original post...............................What's the HP #s on the new Apex. Anyone know?

I am guessing it is the same as the 2015. Yamaha would be mentioning that more if it was increased as would the 2016 new sled write ups.

I am guessing it is the same as the 2015. Yamaha would be mentioning that more if it was increased as would the 2016 new sled write ups.

So what is the 2015? I haven't seen anything on the newer Apex.

Before I brought my new leftover 2014 Apex XTX on Fri. 02/27 this year after not seeing anything exciting enough to make me want to spring check a 2016 sled I came to realize that since I was talking to 4 or 5 different dealers on leftover Apex sleds to get a feel for what's out there before making my decision in late Feb to buy one that I almost waited to long because there was only a handful left at the dealers that I had been talking to for the past 4 or 5 weeks. They were all telling me that they sold way more sleds in Feb than they did in Jan and the Apex was one of the most sleds sold. I couldn't agree more that the changes from the 2007 to the 2014 I own now is awesome and anyone that owns a 2010 or older Apex owes it to themself to try a 2011 or newer one out on the trail for themself to see what I'm talking about. I'm still a diehard Apex man........

OK back on the hp question, the 2011 thru 2016 Apex has the same motor from what I've seen and heard and it's at 163 hp which is up from my 2007 Apex which was at 154 hp........accurate or not those are the numbers that I've been hearing and spreading around as the conversation comes up, but like it was mentioned earlier we can't forget about the great torque the Apex has and the curve on the amount of pull is solid all the way thru the throttle no matter how fast your going when you peg the flipper and that's what I luv the most on the Apex.

2011 & newer Apex is low to mid 150's from the Factory.
The 163 hp # was for a 2011 Apex which was "Waxed by Woody's Performance Center in Maine" [PCV, Short Stacks, etc, etc. ]
The 2006 to 2010 Apex's were mostly in the high 140's hp.
RX 1 was around 134 hp

The 2011 163 hp dyno numbers everyone likes to refer to was on a preproduction sled with intake, exhaust, and fuel controller mods...not realistic!

The 2016 should be the same hp as the other 2011 and up EXUP Apexs...@ 150 for a completely stock sled.
Check out the real world, all stock, dyno tests in this article...the Apex numbers are a few pages in.

Few of the other manufacturers sleds made the big numbers they all claim either.

http://www.dynotechresearch.com/file_upload/page_files/AmSnow12dynocertB.pdf

Last edited:
When I was at the Yamaha show a couple years ago I talked with one of their engineers from the Minoqua facility and he claimed the older Apex was close to 150 and the newer one with the EXUP was around 157-158.

I have the older Apex 136 but in all reality the HP to me is just a number. The thing is pretty darn fast. I was amazed at how much a good clutch setup really wakes these machines up. My buddy's was clutched last year and would leave mine pretty decisively on a long stretch. I clutched mine the same this year and now we are dead even. I would imagine that would happen with the newer ones too.

Last edited:
The newer 2011- apex are 155 at mcx dyno.
My 03 was 135 stock at mcx and 141 with Ecp filter kit.
I think the mods on the 16 apex is good for a coupel of HP 3-5 ish.

I received the new Snowtech magazine today that has all the 2016's in it. They mention the upgrades to the Vector motor but nothing about the Apex motor, just the new rear skid. I think that answers the original question here. Motor is the same as it has been since 2011. Maybe some were hoping that Yamaha silently snuck a few extra ponies in it or was wanting to believe what they saw on the Canadian Yamaha site. I think Mr. Sled was right, there were some things on the Canadian site that weren't correct. Oh well, a new rear skid and a better track isn't a bad start.

I seem to remember that Hurricane Dave posted that a 2015 Yamaha Apex dynoed in right around 155 HP.
Please correct me if someone knows a different number that he posted.

Personally I'm extremely happy with my 2011 apex xtx and especially the engine! The only thing I want to do is raise the seat a little, a couple of inches maybe and the handle bars to match. A set of Öhlin's all around would be nice as well but way too expensive! It's plenty fast and the sound is awesome, but the absolute best thing is the throttle response! I hope they don't mess that up with the ride by wire on the new vectors! 900 ace was weird and felt really laggy on the throttle response.

Like you say the hp is just a number and nobody ever wants to talk about torque and I think that's more important than anything.....my 2014 Apex XTX pulls hard all the way thru the throttle and sounds great.....what ever Yamaha does I hope they don't elliminate the 4 holer.......

The 2011 163 hp dyno numbers everyone likes to refer to was on a preproduction sled with intake, exhaust, and fuel controller mods...not realistic!

The 2016 should be the same hp as the other 2011 and up EXUP Apexs...@ 150 for a completely stock sled.
Check out the real world, all stock, dyno tests in this article...the Apex numbers are a few pages in.

Few of the other manufacturers sleds made the big numbers they all claim either.

http://www.dynotechresearch.com/file_upload/page_files/AmSnow12dynocertB.pdf

Would really like to know what mods where made to get the 163. 13hp is a substantial boost. Trouble with dynos is they all vary! If your bragging you go by the highest test on whatever dyno that was. We can be pretty sure the 11 up sleds got a boost of a few ponies by increased valve overlap and larger exhaust diameter pipes. Still pulling peak at 11,000 rpm is another clue. Seems to me the 10 dyno map shows a drop as it approaches 11,000rpm

Back