• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Ride Review 2016 Apex XTX (with Single shot rear)

I gives you a bit more maybe, its not that the 2011 Apex up has less stretch room. Its that when they raised the seat they also moved you forward so doing that they took back whatever leg stretch you gained on the seat being raised. Plus the new muffler runs length wise on the 11 up rather then crosswise on the 10 back. This takes away a bit of cushion at the back of the seat.

The 11 up is comfy enough but I sit at the very back of the seat where I had a bit more room on the old Apex seat and it was more comfortable both leg wise and had a bit more cushion. If they had used the 10 seat and raised it higher it would have been perfect, but they could not as they changed the muffler and possibly narrowed the seat at the rear. I know way less fits in the back compartment then before and mostly because the opening is smaller.

I like the 2011 better then the 10 back but just wish I had a bit longer seat so when my knees get to hurting I could sit back away from the bars a bit more to give my knees a break. Once they begin the ache one wrong bump can send me forward and make me almost pass out for the pain. Sitting back a bit relives the pain and give me a bit more strength to hold me from going forward. Ya I know I'm a cripple.

Thanks for the info. I had both knees replaced over the last 2 1/2 years. So I hear ya. My back is another issue. I had lower back surgery 1 month ago. I do not like sitting closer to the front. Like I said being 6'2" I sit up against the ridged piece before the storage flap.
The newer seat looks like it throws you forward. I wish I knew someone here with the 11 or up to ride and test. There was a Demo from Yamaha but I missed it. And I don't know what 15 minute ride would show me.

Thanks for the info. I had both knees replaced over the last 2 1/2 years. So I hear ya. My back is another issue. I had lower back surgery 1 month ago. I do not like sitting closer to the front. Like I said being 6'2" I sit up against the ridged piece before the storage flap.
The newer seat looks like it throws you forward. I wish I knew someone here with the 11 or up to ride and test. There was a Demo from Yamaha but I missed it. And I don't know what 15 minute ride would show me.

Careful you will fall in love with it. Only took one ride for me! It doesn't throw you forward any more then the Apex 10 earlier, its just that whatever they gained in legroom by raising the seat they lost again by pushing you forward. That is my nit pik on a sled with so many pluses.

When my knees and hips start aching I wish I had the highway pegs on my sled off my Harley. LOL

Off topic but don't wait to get knee replacements,etc. if you need them. I wish I did mine long before I did. They are the only thing that doesn't ache in my body now. Ha.
Maybe I can connect with someone here some where to try the Apex XTX...

CaptCaper if you make it to MI. your more than welcome to take my 2014 Apex XTX out for a ride, but like Sasquatch said careful what you wish for because you'll end up owning one.....lol......I've only got 517 miles on mine since March 1st and I luv it.

I put 9995 miles on my Attak sold it bought another 07 Attak with 800 miles...got 4k or so now..love the Apex..I bet I would really love this new one. I'm going to go buy a lucky lottery ticket. Ha.

I had 12,000 miles on the 2007 Apex that I brought new before selling it back in Jan. 2015 and then I waited to see what Yamaha was going to do with their 2016 line-up on Feb. 25th and when nothing really exciting happened I took advantage of the savings and brought a new 2014 leftover Apex XTX on Feb. 27th and I look forward to putting alot of miles on this sled. Getting a new leftover is the way to go.

Too bad they don't offer the skid as an aftermarket upgrade for the older Apex/Attaks with extension kits to match track size. But I guess that doesn't sell new sleds.

Still not a fan of a rear suspension that solely relies on a single air shock. That shock fails...you're screwed.

I don't like air shocks at all. Maybe there will be a spring kit from an aftermarket vendor. In the video at the 1:05 min mark the ride didn't look very smooth to me.

Can't remember the guy on youtube that had the 2014 Viper up in the Yukon Territory but he had the Fox Air floats in the rear and it did fail. He had allot of snow and ice build up in the rear skid and it was leaking air near the filler valve.

I've seen some posts here on TY where the Megafloat air shock on the Apex SE having issues with holding air...plus difficulty with getting a softer ride.

Back