• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Ride Review 2016 Apex XTX (with Single shot rear)

Can't believe Yamaha is going with a single rear shock again, and an air shock at that. I can't believe they think saving 10 lbs on the rear suspension, and unsprung weight at that, is going to make me buy this sled. I would gladly add 10 extra pounds for a rear suspension that works. I would have loved to see how that single air shock would have held up on my northern trip with temps from -30 to -50 deg. celcius without the windchill.
One problem with that shock and you're done. Also, the rear track adjusters are thru the track again, a very poor design as well. If this is part of Yamaha's new direction, they might as well give everything to Arctic Cat. Very disappointed.

I like it. Lighter weight and the ability to adjust for rider weight without having to replace the spring.

I like the idea of a new suspension that might be quieter and hold less snow and be adjustable for any size person but I asked the same question to a Rep . What happens if your out in the middle of no where and the shock fails from the ice and snow? There is nothing on the front arm and no torsion springs or coil springs. He said you would be dragging on the ground. This is not going to make me buy a new sled. Now the new motor might!

I can't wait to ride the new single shot suspension. It looks like a nice ride!

I bet they are testing this suspension for one season and this will be the skid in the new all Yamaha chassis in 2017. Kind of like they did in 96-97 Vmax"s and 05 Rx1- 06 Apex.

well, if i bust a shock and I'M 400 KM out in the woods, at -30 .. .the Yam dealer is going to come and get me.. and that will be the end of that shock... but lets not get to pessimistic...but it is a valid concern,.. did Yam change the monoshock for the only purpose of saving weight? that is my concern..if so, and the suspension is less effective.. i will not be happy with my 2016...

That rear suspension is very similar to the XTRA12 in my old 95 XLT Special, (except it had a smaller shock at the very rear). I didn't much care for it due to my aggressive riding style. Not knowing ANYTHING about this rear suspension makes me reluctant to spend my money. I told this to the Rep at the Lake Geneva snocross finale. I wasn't rude with him and am not trying to bash now. I told him if the shock was mounted in the other "direction", (where the forces are introduced into the center of the chassis), I might be more willing to risk the purchase. I told him about my 93 Storm that has an EXPERT X mounted in it and how it transformed that big, heavy sled into a fun ride. I've come to appreciate the feel of swingarm suspensions in snowmobiles and can't imagine why other manufacturers don't move in that direction (unless patents are the stumbling block). I do have an EXPERT X 144 hanging around in the shop......prolly time to build what they won't.

In terms of reliability did they have any issues with the Mega Float in the current mono? It's the same situation and I haven't heard any big issues with them...

they had issues with the schrader valve on some not sure how severe the problem was or shall i say how far spread it was but was talked about on here a few times and when it did it was a long ride home with no suspension.

I take it that nobody on here has been on a demo yet. All speculation....

yep. all speculation... thats sad, some sleds are in the showrooms so there is no reason demo's aren't going around..

So many like the mono shock for its supple ride. So many think the the XTX ride is harsh, I think the single shot was built to give the sled a more plush ride like the mono while still giving rough trail capability. Best of both worlds.

Proof will be next year as people test it out. Aside from the ride I'm wondering how much the full 146 on the trail will effect turning as you can feel the difference between short track and long track with the tipped rail as you corner when there are small bumps on the trail.

Can't believe Yamaha is going with a single rear shock again, and an air shock at that. I can't believe they think saving 10 lbs on the rear suspension, and unsprung weight at that, is going to make me buy this sled. I would gladly add 10 extra pounds for a rear suspension that works. I would have loved to see how that single air shock would have held up on my northern trip with temps from -30 to -50 deg. celcius without the windchill.
One problem with that shock and you're done. Also, the rear track adjusters are thru the track again, a very poor design as well. If this is part of Yamaha's new direction, they might as well give everything to Arctic Cat. Very disappointed.

Every sled I have owned has had the adjusters though the track including all my Cats. I don't understand poor design. Seems to work fine considering I adjust it and its good for thousands of miles without ever needing to adjust again. As far as air shocks go they have their ups and downs!

they had issues with the schrader valve on some not sure how severe the problem was or shall i say how far spread it was but was talked about on here a few times and when it did it was a long ride home with no suspension.

I actually snapped the schrader valve off in my monoshock apex.
It was a shitty 50 mile ride home with the track rubbing the tunnel protectors but i got it home with no real damage to anything.
I carried a spare schrader after this happened but never needed it.
I have a buddy that also had it happen to his.
I would not say it is a fluke thing but it is not too common either.
Just carry a spare schraded and your fine

I did have a problem with my Mega float shock when the sled was new. I would loose about 5 lbs a week. Not a big problem, as I would just add more air when it got too soft. Neither Yamaha, my dealer, or Fox would fix it or do anything about my problem. After 2 years, I had it rebuilt, and since then, no more air leak issues.

Back