• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

9 tooth 2.86 drivers on 2009 FX Nytro?

Krummy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 FX Nytro
I am putting a supercharger on my 09 nytro shortly and will have to regear. I just sold the track that was on it so i need a new track anyway. I was wondering if anyone has ever put 9 tooth 2.86 drivers on this sled and where did they find them? I see that the stock rtx/ltx vipers have these but their shaft size is much larger. Any opinions on this? Let me know, thanks

Why do you want 2.86 drivers? Its proven that 2.52 is a faster design.

I believe the last couple years of nytros were 2.86, not 100% sure on this however. The viper ones wont work.

Why do you want 2.86 drivers? Its proven that 2.52 is a faster design.

I believe the last couple years of nytros were 2.86, not 100% sure on this however. The viper ones wont work.

Is there a link/explanation proving why 2.52 is faster?

I am very interested in running a particular track that is only available in 2.86. A 2.86 track is undoubtably going to be lighter.

The reason for going to the 9 tooth 2.86 would be to take care of all my gearing changes along with providing a larger radius for the track to roll over.

Is there a link/explanation proving why 2.52 is faster?

I am very interested in running a particular track that is only available in 2.86. A 2.86 track is undoubtably going to be lighter.

The reason for going to the 9 tooth 2.86 would be to take care of all my gearing changes along with providing a larger radius for the track to roll over.

Not sure on the science behind it. Just alot of the high performance guys I know say 2.86 is slower top speed. I know alot of the turbo cats were having top speed problems with 2.86 drivers and people picked up MPH when switching to 2.52.

I think I had 9t 2.86 drivers on my nytro after doing a 129" skid relocate, had to re-gear and do some clutch work, but it all came together very nicely.. Barn of parts can help you out. he is an advertiser on here. I had zero issues with top speed BTW

I think I had 9t 2.86 drivers on my nytro after doing a 129" skid relocate, had to re-gear and do some clutch work, but it all came together very nicely..

....and then you went to a Polaris :)

Gonna be @ Excell's on Saturday?
Stop by the CNY Snow Travelers food tent, say hi & get me away for a few minutes LOL

I've never read anything that says or claims a 2.52 pitch is faster, but that said I think you're getting less track for the money with a 2.86. Most of what I've read regarding the reasons why manufacturers have moved away from 2.52 tracks to 2.86 and 3.0 pitch has to do with consumer demand for lighter sleds. Manufacturers are trying to shave weight any way they can. A 2.86 pitch track will weigh less than its equivalent in a 2.52 pitch simply because it will have fewer drive lugs. Combine that with the trend to go to single-ply (again for weight reduction) and IMO, you're getting a track that is likely to be less durable and maybe (the jury is still out on this) more prone to ratcheting. Many manufacturers are specifying tracks with porting and clips every third window all in the name of reducing weight, sometimes sacrificing durability in the process. Anyway, 2.86 pitch seems to be the current trend, but not necessarily because it's a better (more efficient means of propulsion) option.

....and then you went to a Polaris :)

Gonna be @ Excell's on Saturday?
Stop by the CNY Snow Travelers food tent, say hi & get me away for a few minutes LOL

I like to call it the Poo experiment..lol..

Yes, I will be there Saturday afternoon at some point, I will definitely swing by and see ya..

Back