• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A- Arm Bushings

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
How have you guys removed the bushings in the a-arms without damaging them. I upgraded to oil lites years ago and they appear to still be in good shape. Planning to take the arms off to get powder coated this summer.

The only thing I can think of is to use a long slotted screw driver, reach in and tap them out; then press the other side out.

Any tips/ideas would be great.

MS

Didn't realize that would work. I have seen some bushings in so tight - no tape would take them off.
MS
I guess he means that you should leave the bushings in the a-arms while powder coating them. Just put tape (mask) the holes in the bushings so no powder will enter the bushings.

Cool - didn't realize such a tool exists.

As for the tape. I didn't think you could place anything like that on the part as it wouldn't take the curing part of the powder coating process. Wouldn't the oven bake it off and make a mess?
MS

I work for a company that has stuff powder coated everyday and yes you can tape them off. We have our powder coater mask all the threads on our parts so they should be able to mask the bushings no problem. I'm actually going to be doing the same to my sled this summer.

Hey Deepow,
Since you know more about powder coating than I, at what temps do they bake at?
I know when the bushings were put in they were greased so they pretty much have to come apart to clean them up.
I don't think you can risk having any oil or grease that may run/drip onto an area to be painted.
MS

Hey Deepow,
Since you know more about powder coating than I, at what temps do they bake at?
I know when the bushings were put in they were greased so they pretty much have to come apart to clean them up.
I don't think you can risk having any oil or grease that may run/drip onto an area to be painted.
MS
There are 3 stages they do, 1 is a softening temp of 176 degree F, 2 a melting temp of 302 degree F, 3 and parts are cured at 392 degree F for 10-15 min. These numbers can vary a bit depending on how thick the powder is applied and the type of powder used (particles can be bigger or smaller). Also they will wash your parts with a special cleaning wash before they paint them to take any oil/grease off. A lot of the parts I have powder coated are bare steel that has oil on the surface from the place we get our steel from. Hope this helps.

There are 3 stages they do, 1 is a softening temp of 176 degree F, 2 a melting temp of 302 degree F, 3 and parts are cured at 392 degree F for 10-15 min. These numbers can vary a bit depending on how thick the powder is applied and the type of powder used (particles can be bigger or smaller). Also they will wash your parts with a special cleaning wash before they paint them to take any oil/grease off. A lot of the parts I have powder coated are bare steel that has oil on the surface from the place we get our steel from. Hope this helps.

If you subject Oilite bushings to those temps the oil will "bleed" out. Oilite bushings are inpregnated with oil, hence the name.

Back