• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another failed oil thread 2014

What brand and weight oil are you using?

• YamaLube FS 0W-40

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • YamaLube SS 0W-30

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W-30

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Amsoil FS 0W-40

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Amsoil FS 0W-30

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other FS

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other SS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mileage Quest

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'12 Apex X-TX
So the time has come to start an updated oil thread... Every thread in these FAQ post's have not been updated since 2004 ( http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=6521 )... 10 years is a long time... things have had to change with oil and oil companies... Mobil 1 now has European, extended performance, advanced fuel economy, standard, and high mileage in full synthetic... Also a few of my friends and I run turboed cars and will not touch Mobil 1... We run Rotella T-6 due to the low ash content and low pour point...

Post up with what: sled, mods, miles, ***Edit riding style***, brand and weight your using *** and why*** (if you’re using Mobil 1 what "type")... I'll start

'12 Vector LXT
Bone stock
1325 miles
Trail masher!!!
Original factory oil (I always run my break in period long)
Still trying to decide on oil to go with... That's the point of this thread :)

I used yamalube 0w30 since new, but switched to Spectro 0w30 synthetic blend 2 years ago. I work at a dealership, got to love it!
My sled is an 09 XTX with close to 13,000 km
Mods listed below

Amsoil ow-40 in our group, 4 apex, 2 nitro, all 6 combined close to 100 000 km's, oil still looks good at end season,
All sleds have minor mods, clutch, exhaust, fuel controller etc, no turbos or super chargers yet...

I also run Amsoil in my duramax, i got it with 8200 km and was told that mobile 1 was in there, dip stick was like tar, I changed it with Amsoil and also installed oil bypass kit, I'm at 360 000 km now' motor is still strong like the first day I got it and oil still looks clean after 25 000 oil changes, people can't believe it when I show them the dip stick, looks like i just changed it lol, truck had been tuned with minor mods and lots of HP, I run Amsoil in everything I have, Amsoil all the way...

Amsoil 0W-40 in both sleds. Each over 10,000 kms. I also runs Amsoil in my VW TDI with 30 thousand km oil changes.

Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula.

Sled has 6,500 km's on it and runs great. I chose it as it was recommended to me by an engine builder on here and at bob is the oil guy.com.
It receives excellent reveiws over there time and time again. ;)!

Edit: for thoe using Amsoil, do any of you have consumption issues? I tried it twice in my P/U and my Yamaha Grizzly, but couldn't keep it in there, always had to add some after every ride/drive.

I have been using Yamalube 0W30 for a number of years since I can buy it buy the case in August for $6.70 per quart. I used the Yamahlube 0W30 in an 07' RS Rage since new and also in the my current ride, the 09' Phazer I bought two years ago when it had 198 miles on it. Hard to go wrong at that price.

09' Phazer RTX with 2,600 miles and stock engine but many other mods. See signature below.

G.B.

Irv said:

Sled has 6,500 km's on it and runs great. I chose it as it was recommended to me by an engine builder on here and at bob is the oil guy.com.

Edit: for thoe using Amsoil, do any of you have consumption issues? I tried it twice in my P/U and my Yamaha Grizzly, but couldn't keep it in there, always had to add some after every ride/drive.

Irv

I am running it in my Nytro last year and again this year and I havent had any consumption issues at all. Was thinking of switching to amsoil in my grizzly 660 next oil change but might stay away from it. What grizzly do you have and what oil do you run in it?

The last four years I am running 10w30 Canadian Tire Full Synthetic Motomaster oil and buy when its on sale.

Sled Dog said:
The last four years I am running 10w30 Canadian Tire Full Synthetic Motomaster oil and buy when its on sale.

^^^ good cheap oil. Made in canada by shell i believe. If I didnt have the extra yamalube that come with my rx warrior thats what id be using. Been using their 2 stroke oil for years as well.

Castrol Edge Syntec full synthetic 0W30, often on sale at Canadian Tire. Yamalube is way costly here in Canada, and is made by independent agent to Yamaha's specs who bid the lowest price. Rather buy my oil from a company which specializes in oil.

Same here been using Amsoil for years and never had a consumption issue,

newfie09xtx said:
Irv said:

Irv

I am running it in my Nytro last year and again this year and I havent had any consumption issues at all. Was thinking of switching to amsoil in my grizzly 660 next oil change but might stay away from it. What grizzly do you have and what oil do you run in it?

I had an 05 Grizzly S.E. but no longer own it. Forget what oil I was running but believe it was there 0W-40 as well?

I ran two oil changes in my old 87 305 GMC and burned/used/consumed, or whatever was going on, a litre every thousand km's or less.

My buddy sold it so I was trying to support him but told I couldn't afford it at this rate.
When I got my Grizzly I thought I'd try it again as it was a popular oil and I thought maybe I'd have better luck with it, but no, it was always down after every ride.

I Googled "oil consumption using/running Amsoil" and was surprised how many others had the same issuess as me.

Not a slam, as I have heard many have no problems running it, but it does seem hit or miss for some reason?

Attachments

• Image014_15 (Medium).jpg
    Image014_15 (Medium).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 165
8 years and 13,500 miles of 0-30 Yamalube semi syn. Now using 0-40 Amsoil. 1000 miles and the level hasn't moved on the stick.

I have used the 0 20 semi yamaha oil for pretty much 11 years ecept when I had an 03 rx1. At the time when it was new in it's second year with 2200 miles I switched to amsoil 0 40 and started burn oil like mad, 1 quart for 300 miles. I thought then it was the oil but well now we all know that 03 rx1 were oil burns anyway.
But I am still shy to switch from yamaha oil because the last 2 apexs were flawless. The first one I slod with 21800 miles and it did'nt seem to burn really any more oil than it did when it was new.

Back