• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another failed oil thread 2014

What brand and weight oil are you using?

• YamaLube FS 0W-40

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • YamaLube SS 0W-30

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W-30

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Amsoil FS 0W-40

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Amsoil FS 0W-30

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other FS

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other SS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Using ow40 ams in apex. Vector and venture gt zero consumtion issues apex has 14000k vector had 22009k when sold and venture around 8000 k when sold. Had good luck with it so far

mcamzr said:
Does anyone know if the yamaha filter is a synthetic media filter or paper?

Synthetic foam type. Very cool. No reason to put aftermarket filters. Unless you prefer changing it every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sled Dog said:
Phaze said:
Sled Dog said:
That link is for 0W40 but its a diesel oil.

That's what Rotella is, a diesel oil. I ran 15w-40 Rotella Triple Protection in my '68 GTO..... T6 is fully synthetic.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t6.html

Ok so your running that in your sled?

Nope. I'm running Yamalube. Not saying you couldn't run it. Apparently some guys are. I've read it can be used in most 4 stroke applications. It never crossed my mind to use it until this thread. I used it in my GTO because of the extra zinc that conventional oils eliminated.

Also came across this from a guy that supposedly talked to a tech at Shell:

The Rotella is a great product, except for one flaw you speak of above...here it is direct from Shell Canada (FYI I got the specs for the Yamaha's oil requirements out of their manuals:

Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:52 PM
To: Techdesk@shell.com
Subject: Oil Selection

Hi, I need help selecting a 4-stroke motor oil.

The products requiring the oil are:

2007 Yamaha Phazer Mountain Lite Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha FX Nytro MTX Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha FX Nytro XTX Snowmobile

I am looking for a full synthetic oil in a weight of 0W-40.

I ride the snowmobiles in Canada's Arctic and require an oil that is capable of operations and start-ups at -40 degrees minimum, -50 degrees or lower if possible.

The engine's require an oil for high friction applications.

The manufacturer calls for a JASO standard MA certification in order to meet warranty requirements on the engine.

The manufacturer also calls for an API certification of SG or higher.

The engine oil also lubricates a starter clutch in the engine, and the engine can not use an oil of a higher grade than 'CD'

The oil can not be energy conserving and it must not contain any friction modifiers.

The oil should have additives against wear and extreme pressures and be certified for use in motorsports products and high friction applications.

I have no way of knowing if you offer an oil that meets these requirements, please help.

Thank you,
Allan

Subject: RE: Oil Selection - 2082840 - I-01
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:05:54 -0600
To: nalla12@hotmail.com

No, Shell does not offer a 0w40 oil meeting JASO MA spec that we recommend for Snowmobiles. Our Rotella T 5 0w40 would possibly pass the JASO MA requirements and meets API SJ and API CH-4. These are considered backwards compatible to CD, as they do exceed these specs. JASO MA also includes Friction Limitations.

Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 5:26 PM
To: SCAN Techdesk SCAN

Does the Rotella T 5 0w40 have water-shedding capabilities?

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:12:37 -0600
To: nalla12@hotmail.com

Dear Allan,

The Rotella T 5 0W-40 would not have water-shedding capabilities.

That guy you came across (Allan Gofenko) is the infamous Yellowknife on here. Notice the JASO requirement specified by Yamaha. I don't believe any of the regular motor oils (Mobil 1, Castrol 0W30 German made, Redline oW20 etc,etc) mentioned constantly on these threads are JASO MA spec'd. The only oils iv'e been able to find that meet JASO MA specs are Amsoil 0W40 Powersports and Mystik oW40 full syn snowmobile oil.

Yamalube SS for me since my '07 Apex was new. No issues in 9,200 miles so far. No smoke or oil usage. I am not sure why I would switch now. The results of the survey indicate that the majority of you agree with me.

Blue Dave said:
Yamalube SS for me since my '07 Apex was new. No issues in 9,200 miles so far. No smoke or oil usage. I am not sure why I would switch now. The results of the survey indicate that the majority of you agree with me.

It's the price of it BD, at least up here in Canada, it is expensive!

I have seen some virgin oil samples (VOA's) as well as some used oil analysis (UOA's) on bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) and time and time again it is proven to be a just average run of the mill oil, there is nothing special, unique or miles above any other oil about it.

Like I mentioned early, your motor likely won't grenade using it, but your paying a premium price for a less than premium oil.

When I switched to Mobil-1 0W-40, I couldn't believe how much quieter and smoother my engine ran compared to the Yamalube, and that was enough for me right there to discontinue using Yamalube.

Irv said:
Blue Dave said:

I have seen some virgin oil samples (VOA's) as well as some used oil analysis (UOA's) on bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) and time and time again it is proven to be a just average run of the mill oil, there is nothing special, unique or miles above any other oil about it.

Like I mentioned early, your motor likely won't grenade using it, but your paying a premium price for a less than premium oil.

When I switched to Mobil-1 0W-40, I couldn't believe how much quieter and smoother my engine ran compared to the Yamalube, and that was enough for me right there to discontinue using Yamalube.

This is from 2008 and is not their full synthetic oil but I think it will give one an idea just how good their "expensive" oil really is.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1242718

Did you ever see any newer oil reports?

They change in 2011 I don't think it was Nippon Oil Company making it before...

I'm in the same boat as you. For the price they want for it here I prefer Amsoil and cheaper too.

This would be a good spot to post up UOA reports. I'm going to send in mine at the end of the season.

I use yamalube SS 0w30 since new also. Mileage at 9164 runs like a champ!! Changed once every season oil and filter. All mods are in my signature.

Phatboyc said:
Did you ever see any newer oil reports?

They change in 2011 I don't think it was Nippon Oil Company making it before...

I'm in the same boat as you. For the price they want for it here I prefer Amsoil and cheaper too.

No, I no longer see UOA's of Yamalube, but I think that is due to the fact no one hardly uses it over there anymore?

I see questions regarding it's use occasionally but most don't recommend it based on the previous UOA's and VOA's.

Looking forward to seeing Mcamzr's UOA, and other's that are using Yamalube.
It's not difficult to do and I also don't believe it costs that much?

I think it's about $25. I have some M1 from my truck sitting here to send in if I would get off my butt and send it in.

When I switched to Mobil-1 0W-40, I couldn't believe how much quieter and smoother my engine ran compared to the Yamalube, and that was enough for me right there to discontinue using Yamalube.[/quote]

I found this post quite interesting and wanted other members opinions on it. I have always ran Yamalube in my Nytro because it's recommended by Yamaha and I thought it was one of the best sled oils you could buy because it's expensive and Yamaha backs it. Is Yamalube just a run of the mill oil then? If it is, why am I waisting huge cash on an average oil when Amsoil is about the same price (if not cheaper) than Yamalube and supposedly a far superior product.....

:4STroke: :rocks:

Back