• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another failed oil thread 2014

What brand and weight oil are you using?

• YamaLube FS 0W-40

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • YamaLube SS 0W-30

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W-30

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Amsoil FS 0W-40

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Amsoil FS 0W-30

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other FS

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other SS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
O Boy, now you have done it. LOL! You have opened up the proverbial can of worms, or in this case can of oil! Page 5 and counting!

yamariv said:
It's the price of it BD, at least up here in Canada, it is expensive!

I have seen some virgin oil samples (VOA's) as well as some used oil analysis (UOA's) on bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) and time and time again it is proven to be a just average run of the mill oil, there is nothing special, unique or miles above any other oil about it.

Like I mentioned early, your motor likely won't grenade using it, but your paying a premium price for a less than premium oil.

When I switched to Mobil-1 0W-40, I couldn't believe how much quieter and smoother my engine ran compared to the Yamalube, and that was enough for me right there to discontinue using Yamalube.

I found this post quite interesting and wanted other members opinions on it. I have always ran Yamalube in my Nytro because it's recommended by Yamaha and I thought it was one of the best sled oils you could buy because it's expensive and Yamaha backs it. Is Yamalube just a run of the mill oil then? If it is, why am I waisting huge cash on an average oil when Amsoil is about the same price (if not cheaper) than Yamalube and supposedly a far superior product.....

:4STroke: :rocks:[/quote]

Dont jump on the amsoil train just yet. Irv and a few other on here have used amsoil and complained about oil consumption and I think mine might be doing the same thing with Amsoil. Mine has brought on the oil light twice this season and will be checking it tongiht to see if it is down again. If it is I will be changing oil to something else, most likely 0W30 SS of some brand.

I have only ran the interceptor in 2strokes but I did try Amsoil sig series in my pos work car. I've ran M1 before and used/ leaked 1quart in 3000 miles. The Amsoil was 1 quart every 1500 miles. I have since switched to redline and am back to 1 quart in 3000 miles maybe a touch less and a whole lot smoother for a 190000 mile neon

newfie09xtx said:
yamariv said:
It's the price of it BD, at least up here in Canada, it is expensive!

I have seen some virgin oil samples (VOA's) as well as some used oil analysis (UOA's) on bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) and time and time again it is proven to be a just average run of the mill oil, there is nothing special, unique or miles above any other oil about it.

Like I mentioned early, your motor likely won't grenade using it, but your paying a premium price for a less than premium oil.

When I switched to Mobil-1 0W-40, I couldn't believe how much quieter and smoother my engine ran compared to the Yamalube, and that was enough for me right there to discontinue using Yamalube.

I found this post quite interesting and wanted other members opinions on it. I have always ran Yamalube in my Nytro because it's recommended by Yamaha and I thought it was one of the best sled oils you could buy because it's expensive and Yamaha backs it. Is Yamalube just a run of the mill oil then? If it is, why am I waisting huge cash on an average oil when Amsoil is about the same price (if not cheaper) than Yamalube and supposedly a far superior product.....

:4STroke: :rocks:

Dont jump on the amsoil train just yet. Irv and a few other on here have used amsoil and complained about oil consumption and I think mine might be doing the same thing with Amsoil. Mine has brought on the oil light twice this season and will be checking it tongiht to see if it is down again. If it is I will be changing oil to something else, most likely 0W30 SS of some brand.[/quote]

Interesting!! Curious to hear if anyone else is having consumption issues with Amsoil!? What sleds are these that are consuming?

yamariv said:
I found this post quite interesting and wanted other members opinions on it. I have always ran Yamalube in my Nytro because it's recommended by Yamaha and I thought it was one of the best sled oils you could buy because it's expensive and Yamaha backs it. Is Yamalube just a run of the mill oil then? If it is, why am I wasting huge cash on an average oil when Amsoil is about the same price (if not cheaper) than Yamalube and supposedly a far superior product.....

:4STroke: :rocks:

It's not just Yamaha who recommends using their oil, all of them do it, Cat, Doo and Poo.

Not one of these Manu's owns a refinery, it is bid out to likely the lowest bidder then their logo/names are placed on the bottles, and, like you, people get fooled thinking it is a superior oil and worth the price the charge for it.

Truth of the matter is, these are huge money makers for them, nothing more, and imo, they have no scruples when it comes to ripping off unsuspecting customers.

My take is, parts and "THEIR" sleds are expensive enough so I see no need in supporting them any further than I need to, especially since I purchased one of their sleds to begin with. (Again, just my opinion)

Yes works best in this test. Cool vid. Someone should post it on BITOG to find out what that machine is called.

An oil has to excel in allot more than just one test/criteria. Some of the ASTM approved test: Flash Point, Fire Point, NOACK Volatility, High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity, Four-Ball Wear Test and our favorite among snowmobilers or at least us Canadian snowmobilers ;) Pour Point.

yamariv said:
Hmmm, interesting video! That's a crazy weight though, 0W100!!?? But it seems to work....

Don't be fooled by that test machine, they can be easily manipulated to show anything in order to sell/showcase whatever product they are testing.

Anyone remember the Slick 50 fiasco? :drink:

This post will help explain it, but I am sure there are many others about this machine that basically say the same thing, and is why you never see them anymore on T.V, Auto mags, etc etc, they are as fake as they come.
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=68106

Well I went with Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0w-40... Less then $5 a quart (5 quart jug) and I was able to pick up a single quart to keep in the back of the sled just incase!!!

When the Rotella T-6 0W-40 shows up in the U.S. I'll be switching to that!!!

Thanks for all your responses... Let's keep this discussion going!!!

Mileage Quest said:
Well I went with Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0w-40... Less then $5 a quart (5 quart jug) and I was able to pick up a single quart to keep in the back of the sled just incase!!!

Still haven't checked to see where it is available up here, but hope to soon.

LOL, on keeping this going.
I know you are fairly new here so you're likely unaware, but these type of oil discussions have been going on for years, and will likely continue to some extent, but I think for the most part, peeps on here are likely tired of them?

Mileage Quest said:

I keep hearing about the Rotella oils but mostly for motorcycles. What's the scoop with this oil? Is it just a good cheap synthetic oil or does it outperform most? Hows the T-6 0W40 perform in a sled?

:rocks: :Rockon:

Bought Shell Rotella T5 0w40 synthetic oil at Canadian Tire on sale awhile back. Have yet to try it in my sled yet. Only available in the winter at CT.

Back