• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone heard this rumor?

They need to offer this type of sled with an air/oil or fan cooled motor. A liquid overheats anytime you ride it slow in low snow or hard packed conditions. Definitely not the set-up for kids/teens you will be riding it in the yard packing down every square inch of snow. They've got quad motors that are already set up with automatic belt drives. All they need to do is drop one of those in a new chassis.

I wouldn't purchase a YZ250F based entry level sled.

If the power and weight is comparable to my GP292. the engine design is basic ie. fan cooled and single cyclinder I'll buy one

You could bet that if Yamaha actually markets a mid sized sled, it'll be ready for the job.
I really hope there is some truth to this rumor, since you can't technically ride the 120's on trails, it would be nice to have an entry level - trail ready machine.

guy's it does not need a ton of speed. a standard 121" track and suspension will do if you want a kids sled. if it is targeted at kids/ice fishermen all you need is a sled that tops out at 50-60mph. that should be fast enough to get out on the trails yet small enough for a kid to handle. just look at all the old 340 enticers. a good one does 100kph around here on good hardpac and i meet plenty of these old sleds on the trail to this day.

I guess I was thinking of something that was phisically smaller, track and all, from the full size. I know that even my Apex 121 is just too big sizewise for an adolescent to be riding.
It needs to be about a 250 pound machine that can easilly be handled by someone who is 6 - 11 years old, that may not be experienced.

Has anybody seen the Premier sleds? They have a 150 listed in the magazine ad. It sort of looks like a mini Apex...

www.PremierRPC.com

There is a thread about this same subject over on Dootalk. They posted they thought it was to use a 250F based motor. Dumb move, IMO. I think a 400cc free air/oil cooled out of the Grizzly 400 would be the better choice. The ultramatic tranny is already on it so would greatly minimize belt burning issues. The quad motors already come with recoil starters so you have a back up starting system. This is a high priority for a work/trapper sled. I'd personally be happy if it didn't come with e-start. A kid's sled doesn't need it, IMO. If they arn't big enough to start it, then they arn't big enough to ride it unsupervised.

I'm curious as to what they will end up coming out with.I don't have much faith in it appealing to the work/trapping crowd. I betting it will come with a worthless, 14" wide track and be marketed towards Gen-Y... basically a smaller version of the Phazer. They'd have a winner if they took some cues from Ski-doo's Tundra & Freestyle. 15" wide short tracks and 16" wide long tracks.

One of the biggest reasons the original Phazer was such a huge seller was that it rode circles around bigger sleds in deep snow. The new Phazer can't claim that. Maybe this new, small displacement sled will be truly deep snow capable with light weight and simplicity in the fore front. Judging by what Yamaha has been selling for the past 7 years, I doubt that will be the case. I hope I'm wrong.

New "bravo" single cylinder 4-stroke in 2010. This from a source that correctly predicted the phazer/venture 2 years before its release.

My$.02

Why not stuff the YZF450 motor into a moddified Phazer chassis (not so agressive) dump the current Phazer and come out with a 110-125 horse twin to replace the Phazer.

100 HP Phazer is what I have heard thru people friends in middle management at yamah.

ever time I leave my 120 sit out in the yard somebody wants to buy it, a 250f in a small sled is just what the industry needs.

If everyone would just listen to themselves, you're talking about an all new Sno-Scoot or Sno-Sport with a 4 stroke!

Sounds like a great move for Yamaha!!!

BR

Back