• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex ignition coils

Apexpat

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Apex
I flooded my 13 Apex on a cold start the other day. First time ever in 14,000 miles. So I said well guess change the plugs, although I didn’t want to get into that as sled was outside with no warm garage available. Took the headlight pod off to access the plugs, but ignition coils weren’t coming out. Removed the 10mm bolt, disconnected the wire, coils would twist and turn but no way coming out. Tried on all 4 not happening. I’m sure a warm garage would help , but what’s the secret to getting them out? Such a tight work space no way to get 2 hands on them. And doesn’t help not pulling straight up, but at an angle towards the rear of the machine. So I let it sit on the trickle charger for the afternoon, battery dead from cranking. Came back at 6pm with booster pack, removed air box lid and it fired right up. The coil removal has me scratching my head, want to give it another try and put dialectic grease on them so it’s easier if there’s another time. I suppose if it happened every 14,000 miles Id have a way to go before a next time. Any tips appreciated.

Well it started again so you didn't foul the plugs. I would wait til spring if you don't have a warm to to work on the sled.
Moving the gas tank back makes it easier to remove the coils. I use a small pry bar and lift and twist at the same time to get the coild out. Adding dielectric grease to the rubber seals is a good idea and makes it easier for the next time you have to remove them.

Well it started again so you didn't foul the plugs. I would wait til spring if you don't have a warm to to work on the sled.
Moving the gas tank back makes it easier to remove the coils. I use a small pry bar and lift and twist at the same time to get the coild out. Adding dielectric grease to the rubber seals is a good idea and makes it easier for the next time you have to remove them.
After cycling the key a few times it sure acted like it was flooded. Sputtering, coughing, couldn’t quite catch. It sat it the sun for 4 hours with the trickle charger connected, seemed like that warmed things up and made the difference. Got up to 30 degrees. 30 degree swing in temp from a morning low of zero.

Moving the gas tank back makes it easier to remove the coils.
X2 as I find with the EPS module that removing the tank makes it easier to get to the one coil under it.

when i did the plugs on my 11, i was already doing exup cables at the same time in july and had to use the wiggle and gently pry method to get the coils out. it was around the same milage.

After cycling the key a few times it sure acted like it was flooded. Sputtering, coughing, couldn’t quite catch. It sat it the sun for 4 hours with the trickle charger connected, seemed like that warmed things up and made the difference. Got up to 30 degrees. 30 degree swing in temp from a morning low of zero.
Sounds like you could use a new battery.

Back