• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX REAR HEAT EXCHANGER

fourload

TY 4 Stroke Master
All of my buddies and me have had their overheat lights come on already,even with the coolant at 60/40 and water wetter. Yeah the conditions were slightly marginal but THEIR LIGHTS CAME ON WHEN NO OTHER BRAND OF SLED DID. NOT EVEN A MACH Z.Fan operated radiator is tiny bullshit. I am putting on the aux rear exhanger tomorrow. The same one I put on my wife's vector gt will fit the apex my dealer says. My dealer told me it is like 40 or 45 bucks.Very cheap for a piece of mind. I travel too many marginal roads in canada and here when going thru towns to get to trails.Yamaha should have put one on to begin with.I am 250 and really don't give a damm about 5 more lbs.Glad I got this off my chest.I am sick of that overheat light. It came on numerous times on my 03 and 05 rx1's also.

My light came on once in a while when I first got my 04 Warrior,but since I got about 2000 miles on it I can't remember the last time it came on.I now have 4800 miles and still fine.Maybe the engine needs more break in time? Just a thought. :4STroke:

I had my warning light come on with my RTX once. I had around 150 miles on it and was in marginal conditions. Now, that was the last time it has come on other than at starting the engine. I may have to agree, I think the engine needs some break in time. I have riden in less than marginal contions and driven the sled hard and still no over heating issues.
On the other hand, I also agree for the little money for a poece of mind, why not. Especially if any mods are added that will make the engine run hotter i.e. Turbo, Supercharger Gyt-r-done kit, etc.
My 2cents

-Vince

mine came on 4 times in marginal conditions but no one else that i was with had a problem.
i agree a rear heat exchanger is a good idea and i am going to install one. i also think opening up the track windows is a good idea since i melted my hyfax and no one else did that either

fourload said:
All of my buddies and me have had their overheat lights come on already,even with the coolant at 60/40 and water wetter. Yeah the conditions were slightly marginal but THEIR LIGHTS CAME ON WHEN NO OTHER BRAND OF SLED DID. NOT EVEN A MACH Z.Fan operated radiator is tiny bullshit. I am putting on the aux rear exhanger tomorrow. The same one I put on my wife's vector gt will fit the apex my dealer says. My dealer told me it is like 40 or 45 bucks.Very cheap for a piece of mind. I travel too many marginal roads in canada and here when going thru towns to get to trails.Yamaha should have put one on to begin with.I am 250 and really don't give a damm about 5 more lbs.Glad I got this off my chest.I am sick of that overheat light. It came on numerous times on my 03 and 05 rx1's also.

Guys don't forget they will run a bit hotter till the motor breaks in.

fourload said:
All of my buddies and me have had their overheat lights come on already,even with the coolant at 60/40 and water wetter. Yeah the conditions were slightly marginal but THEIR LIGHTS CAME ON WHEN NO OTHER BRAND OF SLED DID. NOT EVEN A MACH Z.Fan operated radiator is tiny bullshit. I am putting on the aux rear exhanger tomorrow.

AMEN....BROTHER!! I had a post on this a while back. My Attak was overheating when I drove over 35 mph on hard packed trails and Forest Service roads with 6" of wet packed snow.........all because it was 34 - 36 deg. out side!!!! That is not right for a liquid cooled machine........PERIOD. That's why people get a liquid cooled machine.......so you can drive them in warmer temps as long as you have snow!

My 98 SRX NEVER had a problem overheating during March riding conditions, which is what we are all really talking about. The reason why?? Because of the rear heat exchanger!!! My Viper overheated all the time....why?? no rear heat exchanger!

Everyone blames it on the coolant mixture..........I don't buy it.........not with the conditions I had..........and my buddies sled NEVER had a problem. My dealer said he had 3 other calls the same day I took my sled to him.......ALL were new Yamahas overheating. Even the Demo rider's Attak overheated!!

I installed the rear heat exchanger on my Attak last night. 1 1/2 hour job........very easy.......$78.00 ;)!

I feel the rear heat exchanger should have been put on in place of that radiator & fan......it's a joke. :die

It's just added insurance for me..........because with this weather.....it looks like we will be riding in "marginal" conditions all winter long. :drink:

snowraider said:
one more time what do you keep riding or shut it down?

When my light came on I pulled over 1 time and threw snow on the foot rails, less then 5 min later she was good, 2nd time kept on driving it, trail went from no snow to lots of snow, so I kept going less then 2 mins on the snow covered trail all was good....

thank you, my light has only came on once and thats while it was idling in 55 degree weather in september for about 15mins other than that never and ive ridden on packed roads at about 80mph for 10-15mins but it was real cold 20degrees or colder.

I was out riding last Sunday with my wife on her 600 SDI Rev in crappy conditions. Her light came on a couple of times and the last time her sled started to beep. We stopped to let hers cool off and I felt my heat exchangers under the running boards. They were barely warm and my sled was running fine and my light never came on. I was expecting mine to overheat not hers.

Here ya go.

Attachments

• 2006_0112.JPG
    2006_0112.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 340

Back