• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex won't start

ChickenStan

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'06 Apex & 04 RX-1
Hi there! I'm new to the forum after buying my wife an 03 RX1 and picking up an 06 Apex GT for myself last year.

I knew that the battery in my Apex was ready to be replaced when I bought it. A few weeks ago, I brought it into my garage and changed the battery. It started up immediately. Then I shut it down for the day with the intention of going for a long ride the next morning. When I got up, it again fired up immediately, but as I went to get my gloves, it stalled. Ever since it turns over and will sound as though it may catch the odd time, but mostly it just turns over.

I'm wondering, could one of the connections have come undone from when I changed the battery? I added fresh fuel with seafoam in it. Also, the garage is slightly above freezing, so ice likely isn't an issue. I have even tried it with booster cables on it in case the battery wasn't fully charged. Nothing seems to help.

Thank you,

Ryan

any lights staying aluminated during turn over?

Thanks for the quick replies!

Just the temperature light and the check engine light are on when I'm trying to start it.

I think I'll take it all apart again this afternoon and double check every connection again. I assume that one of them vibrated loose when I had it running the two times after changing the battery.

I'll let you know tonight how it turned out.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Will it fire and sputter? Or you get nothing? When you turn it to on, can you hear the fuel pump turn on? How many miles?

Do any numbers appear on the gauge when trying to start. These will be your fault codes. Had my sled tore apart before realizing this fact. Save yourself some disassemble and check for this first.

beer10t

check the plug that connects into the main relay (hooked onto the battery tray, with 2 fuses) Should have 3 wires going in.. Yamaha has a flaw in there connectors, in not putting a rubber grommet on them to prevent moisture from getting down to the connectors, and creating corrosion, and issues... if you pull that plug, clean the connections really good, di-electric grease the living #*$&@ out of it, and put it back together, should solve the issue... My sled did the same thing couple weeks ago... Make sure you put di-elec on the top side of the plug, were the wires go in as well.

Yes, I can hear the fuel pump come on when i turn the key and there are no error codes on the scree. Everything seems normal except it won't fire. After turning over for a few seconds it'll sputter and I'll get my hopes up that it's going to catch, but then it just continues to turn over. It's got just over 3500 kms on it, so hopefully it's nothing too major.

It could very well be a moisture issue because it did come in from my uninsulated shop and into the garage, so the corrosion could be an issue. I'll slowly take it all apart again without unhooking the ignition and try to disconnect everything and reconnect it and then try it and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

ChickenStan said:
Yes, I can hear the fuel pump come on when i turn the key and there are no error codes on the scree. Everything seems normal except it won't fire. After turning over for a few seconds it'll sputter and I'll get my hopes up that it's going to catch, but then it just continues to turn over. It's got just over 3500 kms on it, so hopefully it's nothing too major.

It could very well be a moisture issue because it did come in from my uninsulated shop and into the garage, so the corrosion could be an issue. I'll slowly take it all apart again without unhooking the ignition and try to disconnect everything and reconnect it and then try it and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

Its flooded and I am sure from that short run time you may have iced the motor but not allowing it to full come up to temp when you did your test start on the battery.... add some heat to the fuel and get her in a warm place and keep cranking. You may have to grab some throttle when it sputters a bit to help it go.

I would pull plugs while you are in there and see if you have spark and if they are wet. be sure you plugged in the little plug on the side of the airbox and check your oil level.

My 2010 Apex did the same thing. If I gave it full throttle while trying to start, I could get a couple of backfires then I could get it running. Once I got it running, I would hop on and go! It also seemed to be smoking. I brought it in to Yamaha the next morning because it still did the same thing the next day. They found corrosion on the grounding block connector, left side below the headlight. It has a black plastic cap on it and there is a thread about it. I have put on 500 miles and it has been fine so far.

Check plugs and replace while you've got it down that far. You have to let these 4 strokes warm completely up before you jump on them. Previous owner might have been a turn key and take off owner.

Hi all! Sorry for the delay in responding, we went on a family holiday.

I'm thinking that it was flooded or frozen. When we got back from our holiday she started up and ran like a champ! So far just short runs, but I'm going to go out for a longer run today.

Thank you all for your input!

Back