• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Better Understanding of Todays Track Lengths

Port-Parts

TY Advertiser
Website
www.portyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Nytro RTX
2018 Sidewinder BTX SE
With the release of the new Sidewinder models and the huge amount of interest in them it seems we have been getting alot of customers upgrading from older models and alot of consumers are having a hard time deciding on what track length to choose as they are only familiar with the 121/136/144 era of tracks. The newer models like Viper and Sidewinder are using 129/137/141/146/153/162 length tracks which most customers immediately notice are longer then what they were previously riding and assume due to length won't corner as good as what they have been riding but what they usually overlook is the fact that they use a different drive pitch (distance between the lugs) on the newer sleds which actually helps cornering by having less lugs on the ground when compared to the previous generation of track lengths.

What I have found that can help customers understand what may fit there needs better and make a more comparable comparision to whatever they have been riding previously is to do the math on how many actual lugs each track has and how many are on the ground at any given time which varies by model due to actual skid length/approach angle of track but a fairly accurate way to tell how many are on the ground at a time is to take the length of the hyfax (slides) and divide it by the drive pitch . Below are some of my findings.

121/136/144 tracks using 2.52" drive pitch (2006-2015 Apex/Vector/Nytro/Phazer)

121” - 48 total rows of lugs – 16.86 lugs on ground

128” – 51 total rows of lugs – 17.85 lugs on ground

136” - 54 total rows of lugs - 19.87 lugs on ground

144” - 57 total rows of lugs – 22.62 lugs on ground

129/137/146 tracks using 2.86" drive pitch (2016 Apex/Vector/SRViper/Sidewinder)

129” (Apex/Vector/SW/SRV RTX)- 45 total rows of lugs – 15.73 lugs on ground

137” (LTX)- 48 total rows of lugs – 16.78 lugs on ground

146” (Apex/Vector XTX or STX) - 51 rows of lugs – 19.93 lugs on ground

141/153/162 tracks using 3.0" drive pitch (SRViper/Sidwinder)

141” (XTX)- 47 total rows of lugs – 16.66 lugs on ground

153” (BTX) - 51 total rows of lugs

162” (MTX) - 54 total rows of lugs

As you can see some of the longer sleds (137”/141) actually have a similar amount of lugs on the ground (17) as the older generation of 121” sleds had which is the reason the 137” sleds are slowly becoming the new standard for trail sleds and why the 141 XTX models make awesome crossover sleds retaining great trail manners. Another notable tidbit I notice is that the newer 141” and 146” sleds when compared to the 144” (Nytro/Apex) have quite a few less lugs on the ground (16.66-19.93 vs 22.62) – could be some of the reason they have went away from the tipped up rail designs. Another one that stands out to me is the new BTX models have a total of 51 rows of lugs around the track – kinda crazy to think a 136” track has 54 total rows of lugs – the new BTX models should definitely have some trail manners for a very capable off-trail type sled.

Last edited:
That's some great information Kevin. Thanks for taking the time to do the math and post it for everyone. This information should really help in deciding what track/skid length is best for them. ;)!

Umm. Wow.
Thank you for posting that. I never knew the depth of information involved in track sizes.
Very informative and it realy does give you a clearer look at what is going on vs just knowing the length of the track.

Can we get this linked in the faq area please???

GREAT info.
Also the new front ends with rider forward have much better balance. I think my 141 viper is quicker to turn than my Apex 121was.

Yes,thanks kevin,so now my 137 ltx will corner right there with my boys older apex 121's,nice..

AWSOME INFO! I wanna go to Wisconsin and give you a hug. Is that wrong? I've been wrangling this 129' to 137" for weeks now. Now i'm convinced and feeling' good about it...P.S: you can hug a dude as long as he's on a Yamaha

AWSOME INFO! I wanna go to Wisconsin and give you a hug. Is that wrong? I've been wrangling this 129' to 137" for weeks now. Now i'm convinced and feeling' good about it...P.S: you can hug a dude as long as he's on a Yamaha
maybe after reading that track info , those guys who are thinking about a 129 or a 137, should think 137 or 141??

Just dont forget the approach angle. 129 vs 137 Viper the approach is much sharper bend at front of 129". Would be a interesting measurement to add to this great info. Just saying it because I do not see the difference the extra length has as being a advantage off the line in real life. Too many variables though.

Just dont forget the approach angle. 129 vs 137 Viper the approach is much sharper bend at front of 129". Would be a interesting measurement to add to this great info. Just saying it because I do not see the difference the extra length has as being a advantage off the line in real life. Too many variables though.
Does this mean in theory the 137" will have a better top end angle?

My dilemma was this. For MY riding style on MY trails with MY set-up on MY sled, I found the 128'' Ice-Ripper absolutely PERFECT. I stress MY a lot because I know 20 guys are going to chime in about studs or XTX bridges bumps better. That said, with more HP on different chassis I was very unsure what to do. I spoke in length to friend who has 8000 RR with 129'' & studs down middle. His opinion was the 129'' was enough, but with more HP & no studs, he wasn't sure. He also wondered if i'd start to push in corners. SO, back to square 1. Now that Kevin says i will have same amount of lugs on ground with a 137'' so turning shouldn't be noticeably harder, my decision is made. 137...and a new trailer to fit it...

Back