• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Better Understanding of Todays Track Lengths

Very confusing to say the least. The more that gets posted, the more I question my LTX-LE order. I wanted the best shock package with a bump bridger. I've never owned anything longer than a 121, though. So I think no matter what it's going to be an improvement. The XTX LE was tempting, but since I primarily trail ride and want to stud, LTX-LE seemed best. Oh, and I love top end.

I think you will be happy with the LTX. I am on a 15, and even though I had to get my shocks revalved (best $150 i spent on that sled), it really came to life after that. Ride was great, transfer was great, too. I did add the speedwerx quick adjust transfer block which allows for more transfer than stock. The last ride this year we ran some non-groomed trails which were all wooped out and the sled just ate them up. And that was on the alum HPG shocks, I have to think the new QS3 shocks will be way better!

I'm with Mr. Sled on this one - way to many variables when basing your decisions strictly on other users experience as one thing I've learned in this industry after being in it as long as I have been is no two people ride the same or have the same expectations of how a sled rides or handles nor when exchanging notes on the internet from 10 states away truly understand the riding conditions your using your sled in compared to the conditions in their area. I've met many knowledgeable people along the way that where great at getting their sled to do what they liked but rarely was it exactly what the next rider was looking for.

Yes very true. I just didnt want someone basing the decision on what to but based on the theory that more lugs on the ground = more traction. That is not always true.

Yes very true. I just didnt want someone basing the decision on what to but based on the theory that more lugs on the ground = more traction. That is not always true.

True, weight transfer and track style has some factors as well as riders overall weight and sitting position... its all good info.

My original intent of starting this post wasn't to persuade one to buy one machine over the other - just to try to help put some perspective out there as to why sleds have continued to get longer in length and how they have been able to keep the handling in check by using different drive pitchs (as most consumers focus on the length and not the pitch of the tracks and just focusing on the length can lead to confusion/misunderstanding).

Last edited:
So my question for Port parts is what sled length would you recommend for most transfer and fun factor. I ride groomed trails alot mostly northern Wi. Also run rivers and lakes alot. I'm coming off a xf9000 and the sled just didn't transfer well and was a handful in the woods. Will the Rtx Le fit my needs? I'm going to fully stud the track. I'm looking for something that is more fun in the woods and has good top end. I'm looking for a sled that is fun corner to corner on the trails and rocks the lakes. I realize I will lose some stability with the 129 but I think the trade off in the tight trails will be worth it.

So my question for Port parts is what sled length would you recommend for most transfer and fun factor. I ride groomed trails alot mostly northern Wi. Also run rivers and lakes alot. I'm coming off a xf9000 and the sled just didn't transfer well and was a handful in the woods. Will the Rtx Le fit my needs? I'm going to fully stud the track. I'm looking for something that is more fun in the woods and has good top end. I'm looking for a sled that is fun corner to corner on the trails and rocks the lakes. I realize I will lose some stability with the 129 but I think the trade off in the tight trails will be worth it.

I will put in my 2 cents in if thats ok but I would get the 129 or the RTX-LE and stud the crap out of it for lake/trail to keep it hooked hard on the ice.

There may be less lugs on the ground, but that means there is also a bigger scoop of snow per row of lugs..... Bigger area of snow per row = more push.... There is more to it than lugs on the ground.

Last edited:
From your description of what your looking for and your experience of what you've rode and where your riding it (Northern Wi) I would also lean towards the RTX LE. The woods of Northern Wi can be a handful as there can be a lot of tight technical riding and in those situations a shorter nimbler sled can definitely be an advantage (just curious but where in Northern Wi do you usually ride?) .

There may be less lugs on the ground, but the 2.86" means there is also a bigger scoop of snow per row of lugs..... Bigger area of snow per row = more push....
Bigger scoop of snow per row definitely can equal more straight ahead drive especially in looser snow under throttle but if you are referring to pushing in the corners the balance of less lugs on the ground resulting in less track side bite allows the sled to corner easier as there is less side bite so the track can slide/pivot through the corner easier.

I live in central Wi and usually ride Crandon,laona,dunbar,Pelican lake area. On weeks we stay home we ride the Winnebago chain and the Wolf and Fox river. So on Some weekends we can ride 100 miles of rivers and lakes in a weekend and having a powerful sled is a blast. I used to own a cabin in Munising Mi and the xf was perfect for those big trails but since I primarily ride Wi now I think the 129 is a better choice also. I've talked to 3 dealers here locally and all recommend the 137 so I've been torn on which to buy.

Back