• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake Assembly Sequence, struggling to mount brakes on shaft.

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 SR VIPER MT-X W/MPI TURBO. 153”
I just put a replacement track on my 2015 MTX. My first endevor tearing into the Viper that deep, I learned a lot about he machine!
I have the chain case all reassembled, leaving me with just the brakes to reinstall. I did not split my caliper, just unbolted the 3 bolts from the frame and pulled the caliper and rotor off the shaft.

To reinstall the brake assembly is really holding me up. I can't seem to wiggle the caliper onto the shaft with the rotor in it, and also can't get the rotor on the shaft with the caliper already on the shaft.
What should i do? Split the caliper, and try to install that way which will need fluid bled after? or is there a way to get it all on the shaft in one piece I haven't found? Biker Mike on YouTube got it all on without splitting the caliper, but not sure how. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I just put a replacement track on my 2015 MTX. My first endevor tearing into the Viper that deep, I learned a lot about he machine!
I have the chain case all reassembled, leaving me with just the brakes to reinstall. I did not split my caliper, just unbolted the 3 bolts from the frame and pulled the caliper and rotor off the shaft.

To reinstall the brake assembly is really holding me up. I can't seem to wiggle the caliper onto the shaft with the rotor in it, and also can't get the rotor on the shaft with the caliper already on the shaft.
What should i do? Split the caliper, and try to install that way which will need fluid bled after? or is there a way to get it all on the shaft in one piece I haven't found? Biker Mike on YouTube got it all on without splitting the caliper, but not sure how. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
It will go sometimes the spline get marred and won’t go unless you mess with it. Brake pads are off correct?

Update:
All good now! I did end up splitting the caliper because the pistons came out just a bit too far to allow for the space of the rotor/shaft/pads to tie in together. It was good to inspect the caliper anyway. The assembly slid on nicely. Now to do a little brake bleed with my new brake bleed kit from Harbor Freight (Likely Junk) and we have stopping power!
Thanks to this great group as always with helpful tricks of the trade.

Update:
All good now! I did end up splitting the caliper because the pistons came out just a bit too far to allow for the space of the rotor/shaft/pads to tie in together. It was good to inspect the caliper anyway. The assembly slid on nicely. Now to do a little brake bleed with my new brake bleed kit from Harbor Freight (Likely Junk) and we have stopping power!
Thanks to this great group as always with helpful tricks of the trade.
Next time you split the caliper you pull pads And then pull lever to bar and zip tie it down and you will loose very little fluid and most likely not have to bleed it much.

I loosen the plastic shroud under the rotor too, which gives me more wiggle room to get the rotor on & off. That, and reach up into the tunnel and push the driveshaft up a little bit.

Back