• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake light question

pay2play

Expert
I was inspired to lengthen my brake light wire harness and route it under the tunnel while it was apart installing the copper exhaust donuts, trail tank and removal of the tunnel protectors. I relocated the light to the back of the tunnel last season, but it stretched the harness, so I added about 10 inches, soldered and heat shrink wire to it. My question is, should the brake light work without the engine running? I have the tank out yet, and the brake light won't work with just the key cycled. I'd prefer to be sure the wiring still works before I finish the wire loom routing. Thanks for your feedback!

Well, this is what I've done to keep the wires safe under the tunnel. I have the split wire loom inside the pex tube, thought the red matched my 11 XTX well , lol!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I brought my wires down into the tunnel just past the rear plastic by the muffler exit. Putting it inside the pipe is a good idea for sure. Hard to see the wire loom in the picture but it enters the tunnel inline with the pipe exiting the rear. 20140118_182851.jpg 20140227_003557.jpg

I relocated my light after seeing how good it looked on a few others on this site. I ran the wiring along the fuel tank as normal, and had it come through the tunnel at the start of the aluminum shroud that the seat is on. I cable tied a piece of split rubber fuel line around the wires where it went through the tunnel. Underneath, I riveted on two three to four inch sections of aluminum square tube from an old toneau cover. I wrapped the rest of the wiring in plastic sheathing and ran it through the square tubes. Where the harness and light connect, I slid a piece of 1" clear vinyl tubing over the connection and cable tied that to the tunnel guard way in the back. I don't have the best pic of the setup as it wasn't completely finished but here's a look . I also fabbed up my own tunnel block off. The pic doesnt show it, but it is all riveted in place. I was still doing a little trim work when I snapped this.
IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg
IMAG0118.jpg

Back