• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

C.R. last post

Country
USA
Snowmobile
'10 VECTOR LTX
さようなら – Sayonora
Today’s post will be my last. I have decided it is time to pull back from my career and focus on family and quality-of-life in the few good years I have left. If I include time spent at the dealership, I have been with Yamaha for well over 30 years. And for those of you who have alluded to me having a ‘dream job’ – you’re correct; it’s been one helluva good run. I can’t imagine another uneducated, country boy with little more than a great love for motorcycles and sleds, slipping past the regulated HR qualification process now. Yamaha gave me ‘my shot’ and for that, I am most grateful.

This blog in itself is testament to the visionary management this company maintains. When we launched in the winter of 2007, there was a lot of trepidation around letting an individual employee go on-line, representing the company with no formal set of rules or policies to fetter and control the ‘conversation’. At the time, no one in our industry had a corporate blog; Twitter had not been born, My Space was bigger than Facebook and ‘social media’ was a new buzz-word companies were struggling to understand (many still are). At the time I was communicating on the sled forums and got singled out by a fellow, hiding behind his key-board, challenging everyone and everything to stroke his own ego. It was frustrating to post legitimate information only to have it discredited as bull-spit . I figured there had to be a better way for me to play!

One individual was extremely instrumental in getting Sled Talk past the corporate goalie: Maggie Fox. I met Maggie at a trade show in 2006 where she was speaking on this new thing called ‘social media’. Sensing some opportunity, I attended her ‘lunch and learn’ on corporate blogging. Fortunately, as things turned out, I was the only one who showed up and received her undivided attention. This was a new venture for Maggie and she was motivated to see this blog get up and running under the Yamaha brand. After several meetings here, it was her compelling presentation to corporate that I believe, broke down the final barriers of risk, putting many of our fears at ease. Maggie’s career since has been a turbo-charged success story. First expanding her former company (SMG) from a family consulting business to a highly successful social media agency with locations in Toronto and Vancouver; then leapfrogging into the corporate sphere to head up Ford Motor Companies global digital marketing operations. I’ve lost touch with her but understand she is now the senior VP of digital marketing for software giant SAP. She once told me, having the Yamaha shingle hanging on the office wall went a long ways to opening those early doors. Well, without her guidance, I would not be writing this ten years later.

Once we established the ‘rules of engagement’ – I was trusted to use common sense and turned loose to talk about Yamaha snowmobiles openly as the ‘lucky guy’ speaking from the inner sanctum trying to ‘tell it like it is’. Truth be known, I have ‘stepped in it’ on more than one occasion. Actually, according to my boss, defending my rhetoric and shielding my ego from criticism has become a fairly regular occurrence for him. On the flip side, his guard has allowed me to write 275 articles and personally respond to nearly 3,500 comments. I’m not really known for sugar coating my delivery so the odds of me peeing on somebodies Cheerios really are not all that surprising. I’m just glad I didn’t have to respond personally.

Today there are upwards to 14,000 unique visitors a month coming here seeking nuggets of information on our sleds. One thing has amazed me from day one. Not one of you has ever gone on ‘the attack’. The comments I receive have always been thoughtful and respectful of the position regardless of whether the author agreed or liked what I had to say. I have approved every comment except one and only because it was basically spam. Nothing I have ever written here has been taken and used against me or Yamaha in any way and for that I am so thankful. Maggie once told me – ‘stay honest and transparent, your audience will grow and rise to your defense if threatened’ – so true!

And to be clear, comments offered here have been referred to many times in various meetings, in emails and sometimes over beers. It’s been said we don’t listen, that what is being talked about on forums never gets to the boardrooms. I have often used Sled Talk (and TY) to reference or support a point. This site has had an impact on our business and our sleds.

Well; there it is. What started off as an experiment to add some ‘ballast’ on the forums has ended up in a decades worth of conversations with many of you, some I’ve met, others I feel I know from your regular comments here. And you should know, it has been your interaction and feedback that has kept me motivated, to write. I want to say a special thanks to Tom and all the admins at Totallyamaha. You guys rock! Many of us here at Yamaha realize and appreciate what a great service you provide for our customers. TY sets the bar very high regarding QDR standards for the motor-sports forums.

I don’t know at the time of this writing, what is going to happen to this site and the archives it contains when I’m gone. It would be sad to see the articles on specific model development disappear. They are records of our history with very few, if any people left that can recount first hand. I have recognized many individuals in my stories who mean a lot to me and who contributed to many of our snowmobiles in many different ways. In my mind, they are the most important of all to preserve. Yamaha is made up of people – the brand and the products are a result of their passion. They are the real creators of our ‘Kando’ and should not be forgotten. I hope somehow Sled Talk will live on as a resource for no other reason than this.

May 5th is my last day as an employee of Yamaha. It’s a bitter sweet feeling as I’m going to miss so many of the people I have worked with over the years, many of whom I consider close friends. I’m also going to miss opening Sled Talk to see if someone has left a question or comment for me. On the other hand, I am finally going to finish some projects like my Phazer ‘trials’ sled and am looking so forward to being there for my family every day, even if that means holding the end of the dock down on a Muskoka chair while they enjoy our ‘cottage life’.

Guys, it’s been a great ride and I sincerely hope you have enjoyed this space. I have – I am truly a lucky guy!

cheers cr

- See more at: http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/#sthash.q1caej04.dpuf

Wow! I'm gonna miss my morning read when ever I get it and good luck with life as it goes on. Even though I haven't met you personally I feel I have. Cheers!

WOW........Where do the years go as time surely stands still for no one and they pass right in front of us so rapidly. I have thoroughly enjoyed your Blog and have always enjoyed reading everything you have taken the time too write in magazines or wherever your pen took the paper. Im sure your knowledge and passion for writing on your blog will be missed by many of us Yamaha People. If your Yamaha Blog continues on those will be Very Big Shoes too fill as trying to replace some one who's passion has driven his life in a multitude of areas. I wish you all the best in the next phaze (yamaha thing) of your life as it's a new beginning and one im sure you will be even more passionate about. Don't forget you can always turn on your computer and scroll through TY for a little Yamafix:)

Take Care CR
Cheers

Congratulations Chris and enjoy the family, you deserve it. Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge and your passion for the sport, you will be missed. Please come back once in while and let us know how you're doing. ;)!

Take care

I am really going to miss your blog posts and replies Chris! hope you have all kinds of success and enjoyment in post Yamaha corporate life!

I also hope you pass the torch on to someone that will keep the blogs alive or Yamaha finds someone that is just as good as you!

Chris, congratulations on your retirement, we hope you enjoy it.
It is with heavy heart that we say you will be GREATLY MISSED!!
You were always the go to guy for the straight info of what was really going on and what was coming down the pike!
I really hope they can fine someone to carry on with Sled Talk. Although I'm sure it will never be the same without you!

Please stay in touch with us here on TY, you are like Family, even though most of us haven't met you personally.
Hey, maybe come to one of the TY rides in the U.P. And we can rub elbows with you and have a Great time riding together!

Take Care and God Bless!

WOW. Congrats CR! Thank you for all you have done for us, ensuring our voice was heard inside the boardroom. All the best for the next stage in life and, as stated above, visit often here on the forum! CHEERS, CH.

Chris. again thank you!!! You a true gentlemen. I wish you a great future in your new endeavors and we will all miss you and your writings and what you have brought to Yamaha. It is nice to hear from you that Totallyamaha is still in the higher standing as far as forums go in the internet :)

Chris THANKS

I hope we, and our topics of interest are not so boring that you can't join us non professionally , maybe under a new TY "handle". Your knowledge and experience greatly add to our TY Experience

Thanks again

Chris, all I can say is....enjoy your retirement, remember the great things, the great people at Yamaha and what you did for our sport! Thank you isn't enough :)

Terry Burmeister

Chris,

I never had to respond directly to your updates because you usually had the answer to my question posted just as I would attempt to make comment. Even down to your last spec update on the new sidewinder. Going to miss that very much. Hopefully, they can bring someone on with as much enthusiam and willingness to help out the consumer as you have. Good luck in your future endeavors. Family is what truly matters in life. Best.

Good Luck Chris... I hope you have a great retirement! I just hope the blog keeps going from someone that has the same passion as you have in regards to Yamaha sleds and the world of snowmobiling!

Back