• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can't decide on summer project

mcamzr

TY 4 Stroke Guru
So I can't decide what to do. I am a Michigan UP trail rider but want to get off trail more. I can't decide between star relocate to 128 with a 1.5 cobra or 136 tip up rail extension same track. My concern with the relocate is if I move the skid back and then one day do the MountainTech +2 front end, that's a bigger gap in the middle if I cased a mogul. And the concern with the 136 is I am not really a fan of tunnel extensions. Anyone make a flush clean tunnel extension. I'm not at all in happy with the way my nytro handles. Just that I think it could use a better track than the stock ripsaw. What would you do. And thanks for the input.

I put a 136" straight rail on mine with a Ripsaw 2 and love it! Just polish that tunnel extension and love it!

I put a 136" straight rail on mine with a Ripsaw 2 and love it! Just polish that tunnel extension and love it!
What extension did you go with? (Never mind that. I just read it in your wig) And did you notice any big difference in trail manners? Does it not handle the tight corners as well as before?

The only pushing I get is in loose new snow on the trail. As a matter of fact this track corners way better than the original Ripsaw. I didn't stud it and it's easier to kick out in a corner.

The only pushing I get is in loose new snow on the trail. As a matter of fact this track corners way better than the original Ripsaw. I didn't stud it and it's easier to kick out in a corner.
Any top end loss? Did you do a gear change as well?

Advantage to doing the Star relocate is better approach which helps top end, helps off trail by allowing you to get on the snow better vs trenching like the stock angle does, flatter handling making it much more predictable in the corners. I would think that going to a 136 would depend on how much off trail riding you do. Either way, I would do the relocate for the benefits of the handling characteristics that it changes on the shorty. So add 4" extension along with the relocate and you still get a 136", but with a better approach angle. You may not need to do the a-arms because the relocates makes the sled handle better and has other benefits as well.

I was kinda leaning that way. It's a whole lot less expensive too. Is there any reason to worry about the rails hitting the front or the track? And would 1.5 (cobra) be over kill for groomed loose snow trails in the UP? I figure when I do something I might as well get more track.

I was kinda leaning that way. It's a whole lot less expensive too. Is there any reason to worry about the rails hitting the front or the track? And would 1.5 (cobra) be over kill for groomed loose snow trails in the UP? I figure when I do something I might as well get more track.
No issues with the rails or track. As far as track choice goes...I have no knowledge on the cobra track...I've read mixed opinions about it. RIDGIDONE will probably chime in and can best answer that,,,he runs a 1.6 Cobra I think and seems to like it.

Yes, I really like my 129" 1.6 Ice Cobra..I do about 90% trail riding the track works very well..

Back