• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat's looking to sell

Mighty

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
22 Mach Z
23 Sidewinder SRX
I wonder how the relationship with Yamaha would change if Cat sells out to the company they have been negotiating with.............

Oh, yeah. I guess I should say who they are in talks with; Harley Davidson. Yes, I couldn't believe it either.........

I would think if that happened, that Yamaha would just go back to being a Yamaha product since Harley Davidson has nothing to do with the snowmobile bizz.

Jeez, I can't believe that Yamaha themselves wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to buy AC. It would certainly give them more North American manufacturing capacity for sleds and wheelers. It would also probably preserve jobs in Minnesota. Then again what am I thinking, big corporations could care less about people's jobs it's all about $$$$. What would Harley get out of owning AC? Are they looking to get into the wheeler business?

When I was first told that Cat was talking of selling, I too thought Yamaha. Makes sense with production facilities already here for both sleds and ATV's. But I've also heard that HD is having financial problems already and am not sure what buying the 3rd place sled manufacturer would do for them. I haven't checked, but wonder where Cat is with ATV placements. Maybe HD wants to simply broaden their horizons. Needless to say, this will shake up the market should it happen.

HD riders and Arctic cat riders are very similar. They both are brand loyal. They both love to wear the company gear but I don't see Yamaha being a part of it and without Yamaha, Cat has nothing to offer except a 600 and a old tired 800. My guess is without the Yamaha motors the deal will never happen. Crazy times we live in. We shall see.

Here's a thought that may have been mentioned already Polaris owns Victory, Slingshots and might be dipping into the American made motorcycle brand so HD may be looking for a way to compete and put the hurt on Polaris. Jmo.Yes I know AC don't have motor cycles YET. Maybe this thread should be moved to General or lounge.

Last edited:
Wasn't going to get everybody excited but I was told by someone who visited a Yamaha dealer in SE Mn last weekend that they will be seeing Sidewinders in the next 3 weeks. Take it for what it's worth

HD just laid off a bunch of people in Tomahawk WI and are talking about closing another plant in WI. I really dont think they are buying squat.

Wait till 2lapsdown sees this. He is going to be all over you!
Funny #*$&@...lol! Not worth a response but on a side note...Polaris recalled another 14,000 side by sides for catching fire, oddly enough. Bringing the total to almost 200,000 for the year. Only a moron would expand into the powersports industry right now. The snowmobile market sucks as bad as it did in the early 80's. We have already seen contraction, hope it doesn't get worse.

HD just laid off a bunch of people in Tomahawk WI and are talking about closing another plant in WI. I really dont think they are buying squat.
I saw that and was very surprised when my source told me about the negotiations. All I can say is that in the last several years he's been 100% accurate. What really sucks is when he tells me something and tells me I can't say anything until the news gets out somewhere.......

Back