• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat's looking to sell

2018 could very well be a new chassis BUT it will not be pure Yami or built in Japan. IMO I see a joint venture for a chassis. Cat procross chassis is from 12. So they are due. Not ripping on Yamaha but when was the last Yamaha Chassis? I just do not see these two building 2 DIFFERENT chassis. I for one was sold on Yamaha power when I got my 15 CAT 7000. Which was a big thing for me ordering a Sidewinder. Either way the only way these two company's break apart is a buyout from someone else IMO.
I do get the "pride" thing that cannondale mentions above.. Its a factor for some die hard CAT guys also.. And believe it or not there are some very pissed off and maybe still is for Cat going with Yamaha and "giving them a chassis" Not me I will take the yami power and better fit and finish that came from Yamaha for a great chassis in trade any day!
Also think about these two working TOGETHER to build a chassis?? two minds are better then one. Not saying you have to agree or like the idea but two manufactures teaming up as one could produce something that's a game changer ?

Last edited:

You are 100% right Jonlafon we all are reaping the rewards of the "Alliance" and I hope Yamaha has some type of clause in their contract with Cat forbidding mergers and such with other potential companies. But right now the way it is everything Cat does affects Yamaha at least indirectly. Even the thought of Cat negotiating with others is a slap in the face to Yamaha. There also are some things Cat does better and some things Yamaha does better. It's not a true 100% alliance. Kinda feel like parent watching kid shacking up,having kids but not making it official. Nothing wrong but could be better.

LOL! A Harley with a Jap motor! My Harley friends are recoiling at the mention and gagging at the thought. My thoughts are Yamaha is using Cat and Cat using Yamaha. I can't see HD and Yamaha in bed together happening, but hey stranger things have! Harley does not have a engine it can use in the sleds to replace the Yamaha so they must sleep together for it to work or stick with the dirty 8 as it is affectionately called and the 600!

On the other hand Yamaha has a new chassis in the works so what happens to Cat at this point does not hurt them. I again predict 2018 as the year the new Yamaha Chassis hits the snow. Course I've been wrong before but I still have my Apex and tons are for sale all over!
Most Harley motor parts were made in Japan & assembled in U.S. Although this was well hidden from public knowledge. Same with Victory & their Fugi alliance (since 1968 btw). So "made in the USA" isn't always what we think it is...

same thing here in ny because cat makes the dealers take more than they want ,and sleds they know they can't sell .harley wants the snow bike .yamaha wants the cat suspensions .time will tell .

What could possibly have you believing harley wants the snowbike?
I know the quick answer is something to sell in the dealerships during the winter. But thats wrong.
Harley makes more money off tee shirt sales during the winter months then they ever will with a snow bike. Lol
Simply put, i do not believe they have the customer base for a snow bike. I know the customer base has changed over the years butThe Vast majority of their customers would never consider buying something like that. It would be an enormous flop

Most Harley motor parts were made in Japan & assembled in U.S. Although this was well hidden from public knowledge. Same with Victory & their Fugi alliance (since 1968 btw). So "made in the USA" isn't always what we think it is...

They also had parts made in communist countries as well. But a sled with a Yamaha motor would imply that Harley has nothing better to offer other then the competition!

HD is in the middle of a lawsuit with the EPA for emissions violations. So I am guessing after they pay out their asses they probably won't be buying much of anything. Besides some lube.

What could possibly have you believing harley wants the snowbike?
I know the quick answer is something to sell in the dealerships during the winter. But thats wrong.
Harley makes more money off tee shirt sales during the winter months then they ever will with a snow bike. Lol
Simply put, i do not believe they have the customer base for a snow bike. I know the customer base has changed over the years butThe Vast majority of their customers would never consider buying something like that. It would be an enormous flop
i'm in the business,and most of the 2017 aftermarket catalogs have there own section for accessories , go fast stuff ,and track kits for the mx bikes .the snow bike is bigger than you think .

My opinion is that younger people could give two craps about Harleys. They could care less of the nostalgia. They want lasting dependable and perhaps fast bikes for cheap. Once the older Harley bikers are gone, well the writing is on the wall for Harley Davidson. Time to start thinking about products that will suit the new crowd. It just may be the only way to survive.
:bash:

Every company that manufacturers a product, worries about the age of its customers, excepting Buick. Inspite age, Buick always seems to take on new customers from an older age group. To go with that, I have often said, "when I get old, I'm going to buy a Buick". It seems to be true with HD as well . Look at who rides a Harley out there these days? All those "old" folks on brand new Harleys.

i'm in the business,and most of the 2017 aftermarket catalogs have there own section for accessories , go fast stuff ,and track kits for the mx bikes .the snow bike is bigger than you think .

I never implied there is no market for a snowbike, i know that theres a market for them, but from what i have seen they are marketed at off trail riding, (think younger more agile people) you dont see them cruising around on the icy trails of Maine.
With the average age of a harley buyer in the upper 40's i just dont see the harley customer base buying one.
honestly i believe that most people, young or old, would prefer to buy this type of product from a manufacturer known for high performance/lightweight/streamlined products, and None of those 3 words are what you think of when you think about harley.
Now if you are looking for a snowbike with a full fairing, saddlebags, a 200 watt stereo and coffee holder, harley can, and will dominate that market!

I never implied there is no market for a snowbike, i know that theres a market for them, but from what i have seen they are marketed at off trail riding, (think younger more agile people) you dont see them cruising around on the icy trails of Maine.
With the average age of a harley buyer in the upper 40's i just dont see the harley customer base buying one.
honestly i believe that most people, young or old, would prefer to buy this type of product from a manufacturer known for high performance/lightweight/streamlined products, and None of those 3 words are what you think of when you think about harley.
Now if you are looking for a snowbike with a full fairing, saddlebags, a 200 watt stereo and coffee holder, harley can, and will dominate that market!
My opinion is that younger people could give two craps about Harleys. They could care less of the nostalgia. They want lasting dependable and perhaps fast bikes for cheap. Once the older Harley bikers are gone, well the writing is on the wall for Harley Davidson. Time to start thinking about products that will suit the new crowd. It just may be the only way to survive.
:bash:
The older Harley riders will never be gone. You will never see that in your lifetime. There will always be someone a little younger right behind them.

Arctic Cat just won $48,000,000 from Sea- Doo in a patent infringement. Arctic cat quit making watercraft years ago , so this money goes to the sled and quad world you would think ? Maybe there liking the money and want to get out of it all and sell ??

How'd that work out for HD?

Back