• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check your air intake/clutches

Does the manual tell you to oil the air filter? Never heard of that on a sled. Could it just be engine oil from the breather?

Does the manual tell you to oil the air filter? Never heard of that on a sled. Could it just be engine oil from the breather?

This was my first thought...but it was a gooey sticky yellow substance that didn't seem like any motor oil I've used and it was on the filter elements base that seals to the air box housing...with a zero mile machine barely ran...I can't imagine anything but filter oil....I suppose the fact they have a foam filter is telling..and those are usually oiled right? Either way...filter cleaner is going on mine and I'm running it dry until I devise a cai

I'll have to look at mine, thanks for the heads-up sj. Could it be your dealer saw the foam filter and figured it ought to have the foam filter sticky oil applied similar to an ATV? I sure hope mine isn't like that. I'd give your dealer a call and let them know the issue. Either way, if they did it by mistake or if they are coming like that from Yamaha dealers should get a heads-up so they can correct it before the customer leaves with the machine. If mine is a mess my dealer will get a call. I'll probably still clean it up myself though.

okay...mystery solved...apparently its on the dealer PDI to pre oil the filter..

HEY KID..MORE ISNT BETTER! lol

Must be oiling the filter now for extra protection for the turbo? I've never seen a sticky-oiled foam filter on a sled before this.

Must be oiling the filter now for extra protection for the turbo? I've never seen a sticky-oiled foam filter on a sled before this.

the 2012 and 2016 cat turbo's I had had a fabric element..this foam filter is different for sure...I guess they feel there's enough dirt in the air they need to catch it with the oil...plus it probably prevents snow/ice from sticking?

With the air intake on the clutch side, I'm thinking that Yamaha doesn't want belt dust injested like Doo had with the 05-08 Mach Z

With the air intake on the clutch side, I'm thinking that Yamaha doesn't want belt dust injested like Doo had with the 05-08 Mach Z

that would be a good thought...but the airbox is sealed and theres fresh air intake from the outside...but...I guess anything is possible..

If it's not in the manual I highly question whether it is on the Actual PDI. Will check next time I get to dealer. Good find SJ!

Back