• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching in Ontario

snowplow1984

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Apex GT (Converted to 144)
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good shop to go to (I live in South West Ontario) that can service and set up clutches for a converted 121 to 144. I am looking for a lower RPM engagement to diminish the trenching on take off in loose snow conditions. Any help would be great.
Thanks

try Hurricane performance, they are in Canada and should be able to help you out, or Ulmer Racing if you don't mind ordering parts from the states, either can give you a good setup

I second that motion. He is located in the east - in Perth I believe. We spoke at the snowmobile show. Definitley knows his stuff, not only about engines, but clutching and more importantly - Yamahas. He holds 2 world records for speed runs - 1/4 mile and 1000 ft drags. Good enough for me.. lol.
MS

most dealers really won't help you…you need to find a real wrench head….you should look to talk to someone out west…more long tracks/big snow people

my brother has a 09 xtx with a 1.75" track and has dropped a tooth on the top gear of his chainecase and bought the schmidt brothers comforts kit and its made a huge difference for playing in the loose stuff

There are plenty of guys on here that can give you help. There is someone in the classifieds selling 2 Schmidt Bros comfort kits at a great price....low engagment. Do a search and you'll find lots of good info out there.

Thanks for the response guys. I did already drop the stock gear by one. What I really looking for is a service shop. I'm kinda intimidated by all this clutching stuff. I have been doing some reading and youtube some stuff. I did check out the Schmidt Bros. Website, in the mean time I'll look on classifieds and keep reading. If anybody knows of a shop or dealer in central/SW Ontario that know what they are doing please let me know.
Thanks

I was intimidated too but it it so easy to do you'd be surprised. Mr Sled has a video that will guide you through it. I'm assuming all you need is a primary spring and a set of rollers...which is the Schmidt Bros comfort kit. Save yourself the money.

I found the Schmidt Clutch kits for sale in classifieds, there for a Nytro, would it work in an Apex? What other parts would I need to change while I'm in there? My sled has 26000km and the clutches have never been touched (cleaned every year)...

check your weights and teflon sides for wear . weights you can change yourself teflom i think you need a tool . also get quiet kit from schmidt for $10. ifguy does not have on the classified ad

What area of south western ont? I don't want to send you on a 2-3 hr drive. A simple spring change can also be done on the sled. You can also just play with the secondary wrap to allow an easier shift out. Any dealer in Ontartio should be capable of doing this if you don't have the confidence.

Good question I'm in south western ontario and don't think there is a shop around like that I'd like to do my clutch also if you find one please post it maybe ill check out Mr sleds video been meaning to ask same question

There is a bender performance dealer in Zurich Ont He installs what he sells

Back