• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Contact lenses?

I just went to eye DR last week for contacts and he said I would hate them since I wear bifocals.
He said I would only be able to see near or far, but contacts can't be bifocals.
Iam bummed hoped they would work for me.

K I do not need glasses to see but I can't read or see anything clearly till just past my arm reach. I carry reading glasses for up close. Not knowing how bad your close up vision is but for riding a sled distance is all you need. To work on it say changing a belt worst case you put on reading glasses. Not sure if that would work for you but glasses are a pain in the arse on a sled. I have worn sunglasses in most of my helmets and can make them work but the BVS2 is the best for wearing glasses, not perfect but real close!

My wife wears contacts for sledding but hardly rides anymore so mostly she wears glasses so she can see and read she has progressive glasses. Doc was trying to talk her into contacts with one being for distance and one for reading. With a little experimentation so she could try that she almost puked from the weirdness and hated the idea. Shes way happy to wear contacts and see distance clearly and if she needs to read she could put a cheap Wallmart pair of reading glasses on.

I could not stand the thought of putting something in my eyes, but 15 years ago my frustration with trying to ride a snowmobile with glasses made me go to "daily" contact lenses. If you are not going to wear contacts all the time, they are a great answer to the problem. You simply take them out at the end of the day,throw them away, and put your glasses back on. You don't have to worry about cleaning solutions, or protein buildup. Every time you use them, you are starting out fresh, and avoid all of the discomfort that comes from your lenses getting dirty over time.

Thanks guys apt made I want some freaky ones for Halloween as well lol.
I should just go under the laser but I don't like the thought of it I know majority are fine but I have heard of a couple cases where things went wrong locally.
But with my insurance to get the Lasic is $200 and they put u up in a hotel with that. I should just get it and be done

Your insurance will cover all but 200 of a 5K+ procedure? I'd be knocking people out of my way at the optometrist and ocular surgeons. Our insurance will pay $1200 an eye (on a surgery that industry average is 2800 per eye), and you sign over your right to any further eye coverage.

The procedure done by professionals and not some NYC backroom disaster is done with a computer controlled laser and is safe enough that many of the scab places have a 95+% success rate with 2nd hand machines. My mother got her's done in Egypt on vacation since their insurance doesn't pay any of it, they paid $1200 total and it was very clean and professional, the machine was 2 years old so it wasn't the latest Lasik machine, but it was a 100% success and she now needs glasses only to do very fine close up work. Said she wished she could of had it done 50 years earlier. Its been 4 years now and everything is still perfect.

Yea $200 for both eyes with a hotel room stay. I think we can chose what place we would like to get it done. Most people at work seem to go to Burlington VT about 3 hours from me

Started wearing contacts just last year. I also went with dailys and live them for snowmobiling. Like most here just carry some dollar store reading glasses in my tunnel bag. Also went to 509 set up last season and between that and the contacts I've never been happier about my vision when sledding!

Yep. Contacts work very well. I use monthly ones and they work well. And I'm on board with Chris ^^^^ the 509 set up is awesome with them.

Contacts are the only way to go with either a full face or MX helmet with goggles unless you go lasik. Don't waste your money on anything else. Contacts are very comfortable for those all day rides as eyes will water a little when you lift your visor and with the air coming thru your goggles. This keeps your eyes from drying out. I buy the weekly wear contacts so I take just 2 pairs on a trip. Wear one pair the whole trip and have a set of spares. G.B.

I wore contacts for about 20 years, got lasik surgery about 8 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I wish I would have done lasik surgery sooner. Worth every penny.

I started using contacts last winter and it does take some getting used to, but its a lot better than having my glasses fog up all the time. My friend told me to get a bvs2 helmet, but I really like the one I have ,a FXR Torque X w/electric shield which is a moto x style helmet. I had some irritation or dryness with the contacts at first and then the eye doctor had me try a different solution and it made all the difference. I also like them a lot for archery and hunting. I still wear my glasses most of the time.
How do you like your torque x helmet? Thinking of getting one but want to make sure they are warm enough for snowmobileing. Does the shield seal up good ?

I just went to eye DR last week for contacts and he said I would hate them since I wear bifocals.
He said I would only be able to see near or far, but contacts can't be bifocals.
Iam bummed hoped they would work for me.

They make bi-focal contacts. Serious! I tried them and liked them BUT I have astigmatism (AS) and need that corrected...can't get bi-focal's with AS correcting lenses.

My brother wore coke bottle glasses his whole life, he got lasik done in his 30's went from Mr. Magoo to 20/20 vision in an afternoon. He said he kicks himself daily for not doing it sooner.

My wife had it done in Canada about 10 years ago (the guy in Quebec had the most advanced machine within a days drive from us at the time). Our insurance didn't cover any of it so we went for the technology and reputation of the provider. Her vision wasn't as bad as my brothers but again, 20/20 vision after. It is not a doctor that does the procedure, it is a machine and when it comes to high precision, I prefer the machine.

How do you like your torque x helmet? Thinking of getting one but want to make sure they are warm enough for snowmobileing. Does the shield seal up good ?
I love the Torque X. I like having the visor to help block the glare and roost. The helmet it fairly light and the electric shield seal fairly well. I did read that the new ones seal a little better. If you like Moto x helmets but don't want to mess around with goggles this is a good option. The price of them is reasonable as well.

Back