• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crazy for not running studs with tune?

I got stranded once with stud thru cooler, pulled studs thru track, didnt matter how careful I was always did it. I ride in rough country low snow areas. My home area. The past three years no studs, no problems, I ride a lot by myself. Just be careful like the guy above stated, no throttle jockeys, I run 1 1/2 crossover track, plenty of hookup. Running 250 really hooks in snow, mealy snow, hard pack.
I can understand why your sour on studs and see your point of view… There is a manufacturer that has had numerous problems with their studs being pulled through tracks… Chances are without naming them, you were using their product… Just for your information not all stud manufacturers are the same….In your case and conditions there are ways to assure you will not have a problem with your studs and track once these guidelines are implemented..

What I have noticed is that its always the un-studded sleds that are out of control and they tear up the trails horribly. I had a un-studded Polaris rider almost take me out this year in a corner, and a few years back another un-studded Polaris rider DID take me out in a corner! You can see the un-studded sleds ruining the trails that run around here. They blow the snow out of the corners and rip up the straights too, fishtailing all over the place and tearing up nice groomed trails completely ruining the trails for everyone behind them.
Mike you make very valid points also and your right .. There is no substitute for the safety that studs provide and some guys just don’t get it.. Some riders just love to power slide a sled in the corners and think its ok to tear up a trail and think nothing of it… These riders don’t realize its guys just like them that are the cause of super rough trails, ice corners, ice braking area’s at stop signs, and humps created at road crossings.

They have to learn how to drive, groomed trails mine hooks up, studs only work on ice, people need to control throttle, I can ride down trails without spinning, I see studded sleds flying around corners and blowing of the snow. To many throttle jockeys, trying to keep up people.

They have to learn how to drive, groomed trails mine hooks up, studs only work on ice, people need to control throttle, I can ride down trails without spinning, I see studded sleds flying around corners and blowing of the snow. To many throttle jockeys, trying to keep up people.
Agree…. Want to be racers ……

If your not someone that cares if they can get 128mph vs 122mph I wouldn't bother with the gear change. I would however do the 240 flash and wouldn't worry about being studded or not. You already have 200hp and arnt studded and enjoy it. Doesn't really matter if you have 100hp or 240hp an icy corner or hill is the same issue. Some guys say you can't have a tuned winder without 192 1.6 triggers.... I dont understand why thats the recommendation all the time to the average trail rider to me it's personal preference. Ps I ran a 1" ripsaw 1 with 192 1.325 studs for 2 years. I have way more acceleration and stopping in 99% trail conditions with the 1.25 ripsaw 2 and 96 studs I put in this year.

Get a big lugger track, 1.5 Ripsaw 2 or 1.75 backcountry and you will be fine tunded in most snow conditions (depending where you ride). Either one of those options is WAY better that an SRX 1inch track with full of studs. I rode a tuned SRX this winter and it was like I was on an old 121 track, spinning around everywhere, couldnt even tell it was 280hp because it had zero traction in anything other than glare ice. Meanwhile, on my 1.5 track, it hooked everywhere in those conditions.
The only time you will miss studs is the occasional icy corner which happens often in the spring mornings or loading/unloading onto trailers.

Get a big lugger track, 1.5 Ripsaw 2 or 1.75 backcountry and you will be fine tunded in most snow conditions (depending where you ride). Either one of those options is WAY better that an SRX 1inch track with full of studs. I rode a tuned SRX this winter and it was like I was on an old 121 track, spinning around everywhere, couldnt even tell it was 280hp because it had zero traction in anything other than glare ice. Meanwhile, on my 1.5 track, it hooked everywhere in those conditions.
The only time you will miss studs is the occasional icy corner which happens often in the spring mornings or loading/unloading onto trailers.

In southern ontario we call that sunday, sometimes saturday afternoon.

1.5 storm 2 ply track with 196 studs.
Spent money on tunes-wanted to feel the power instead of spinning.
Had a couple of times where the original track 1.75 backcountry would break loose at 90 mph.
After that it was time for studs.

In southern ontario we call that sunday, sometimes saturday afternoon.
Wasn’t any different in the Mont Laurier area of Quebec this past Saturday, the three day pass was feeling like a shitty investment.

i used to run 1.25 studded tracks,got tired of the pull threws, cooler damage,flap damage ,trailer n driveway damage,so forvthe last 15 or so years have ran nothing but a 1.5 intense with no studs on my apex and prier srx tripple, absolutely loved it noticed almost better hookup in hard pac,and tracks looked like new after years of service....so when i got a winder i wanted the same thing and was curious how it worked with obviously higher power levels, i want a 1.75 back country (eventually) but the sled has a 2 in track now with a td17 tune... the results for me were great zero problems on a hard pac groom trail , no spinning when i let it eat,70 mph , pin it and hooked hard with skis 4 feet in air, so for me idint need nor want em... that being said when i see glossy corners , ice etc im fully aware im not studded and corner accordingly, in the end it comes down to rider control,, imo

Back