• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CRAZY OIL LEAK

YamahaTim

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX SE MPI Turbo
Was on a ride this weekend with my wife. Started her Vector up and checked over that. Then I went and started mine. Went back over to hers and helped her get some of the ice build up off as they collect as we all know. While I was helping her my Viper shut off. I was like ok. Walked over to it and it had leaked over a quart. Oil was pouring out of the side panel and underneath. I looked before I even started it up and everything was dry and clean. I always look at everything real quick before I start them up. Oil was pouring out of the vent hose. So of course had to call someone to bring my truck and trailer out to me cause we back packed it from Grand Rapids. An we stayed in Ely, MN. So now it's back at the shop again. Clutch was fixed though! I might have to give up!

It ran perfect the night before. No leaks no stumbles. Never tipped it on it's side. Nothing! It ran perfect. Oil was full never ran hot nothing, no signs! Just started it up ran fine left it for maybe ten seconds, walk back to it and it shut off and a huge pile of oil. Leaking like crazy from the side panel. Opened it up and it was coming from the vent hose.

Nope, dealer did the oil change, and it was good in the window, and it was never on it's side. I went with my wife so I was riding laid back.

Theres a oil separator between the engine and the exhaust canister. I don't know how snow gets into the pipe that goes into the air intake. When snow gets into the oil separator, lets say overnight, you start your sled up in the morning, during warm up it melts the snow, nothing happens during your drive than you park your sled outside overnight. The water in the oil separator freezes and stops the ball bearing from plugging the breather pipe going into the air intake.

I have heard that there has been few check valves in the oil separator freezing in -30 temps then loosing oil
It looks like on the MPI turbo the valve is relocated away from the heat.

That could very well be what it is! It was cold the night it sat outside after a 300 mile ride. Its at the dealer right now so i cant take a picture of it. But it is definitely coming from that vent hose. I hope thats all it is! Im losing alot of time this year with some of the shop visits! We just got some snow and more coming and my sled is in the shop. No good! Thanks guys for the advise and help!!

It should take about 2 hours to take remove the oil seperator and clean it out, I use a little bit of brake cleaner and let it sit for about 30 min and hasn't leaked any oil ever since.

ulinov1049 said:
It should take about 2 hours to take remove the oil seperator and clean it out, I use a little bit of brake cleaner and let it sit for about 30 min and hasn't leaked any oil ever since.

I will tell them thank you!

APEX XPRESS said:
I have heard that there has been few check valves in the oil separator freezing in -30 temps then loosing oil

Marks right. The check valve freezes if there is any moisture and it's really cold.

matt@mpi said:
APEX XPRESS said:

Marks right. The check valve freezes if there is any moisture and it's really cold.

Thanks Mark and Matt. I wish I didn't drop it off now. Cause I would be snowmobiling right now. I will tell them on Monday. Thank you guys very much! Oh well, maybe I can get an oil change out of the deal... :die

YamahaTim said:
ulinov1049 said:

No need to remove it just warm up the oil/air separator. Maybe even tap on it. We just cut one open the other day. There is a big 5/8" ball bearing that falls into a plastic seat.

matt@mpi said:
YamahaTim said:
ulinov1049 said:

No need to remove it just warm up the oil/air separator. Maybe even tap on it. We just cut one open the other day. There is a big 5/8" ball bearing that falls into a plastic seat.

Ok will do. I have it at Hauck. I thought it was something major...(u know y) so I dropped it off. I'll get it Monday. How can I prevent this from happening again? Did you watch my video?

If you don't take it off and take the water out its just going to go into the oil tank and into the engine. Would be a lot safer to to take it right out clean it and change your oil and oil filter.

Ok...so after that how do I stop it from happening again. After I clean it?

Back