• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Deep lug shorty's

terez

Expert
Was going to long track my Nytro but don't want to lose the transfer and lively handling.......as well we don't get a lot of snow around here so don't really need the floatations.....just the hook up to shovel snow .....

Experiences, setups and pics?????

I have a 2013 which has 2.86p drivers and a 121 skid
Our conditions vary wildly from as well as I trailer far and wide ......sled sees everything from frozen snirt to loose fresh snow to frozen icy

Thinking of a ice attack 1.6, rip2 1.5 or back country 1.75??
I don't think the 1.75 will do well when things get hard and icy....likely the rip2 1.5 or ice attack 1.6

I have an 08 shorty and going to ice attack 1.6 myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I will be upgrading to the ice cobra 1.6 next season. Best of both worlds. BTW if you have 2.86 inch pitch, you have a 120 inch track

I am also thinking about installing the 1.6 cobra if it will fit into my XTX studded without removing tunnel protectors (damn I thought I was done changing things...LOL) Ottawa area conditions do vary a lot, its kind of a crap shoot, generally hard to beat riding in Quebec though, took a 400km solo rip last year and the only thing I saw on the trail was a wolf (WAS REALLY SURPRISED HOW FAST HE COULD GO ON A FRESHLY GROOMED TRAIL!!!). Are you planning on studding it also?

cheers

One of the guys did ice cobra and liked it. Idk about lug stiffness tho. The original cobra has very flexible lugs that fold over ez. 128 relocate gives you the handling with better bump spanning and stability (basically gives you similar ground footprint to the lower travel 121 from 10-15yrs ago). Also talon 1.5" track is one I'm eyeing at moment but there is a ripsaw 1.5 in that size also that could work.

I just removed a camoplast intense 1.5" from a 121" Nytro. Its in excellent shape and studded down middle. Its fully clipped as well. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Is the Ice Cobra 1.6 very flexible lugs?
I didn't like the original cobre for that reason....for our conditions we need a stiffer lug design.
I wouldn't think they could get the ice picks molded into the original cobra lug design?? Too flexy and thin at the end of the lug??

My understanding was that the Ice Attack is a stiffer lug design vs the Ice Cobra??

I like the Ripsaw2 a LOT...a lot like the old predator..which was a Great track....
I see they make a 1.5in Rip2 now??....this looks very promising..

Yes ...my 2.86p track is a 120...the skid is a 121 still tho. Any 2.86p track on a 121 skid will end up a 120.

rigidone....did you have to remove tunnel / heat exchanger protectors, and is there much clearance left?

my tunnel and heat exchanger protectors we not removed, plenty of clearance, no issues at all with rubbing or hitting anything. The lugs do flex some but its not like they fold over, the lugs with the picks in them are pretty much solid.. The track works very well for me, real happy with it.

I ran the 1.5" Intense on my 2008 Nytro RTX and it was great! Awesome hook-up on the trail, and off trail was also surprisingly very good. I've since purchased the 1.5" Ripsaw II at Hay Days for my Viper RTX. I would have went with the Intense again on my Viper, but it's not available in that size.

Nope....not gonna stud.

It's going to be thebRip2 1.5 or the IceCobra or Attack 1.6

I really like the conceptnofnthenripper embedded picks....just enough Hook on ics or hardback for braking and a ill hook up. I find my current studded Rip2 too hooked up...nice when drag racing and she sure whoa's but the handling and aggressive hookup are too much and a detriment to handling most of the time.

You have studded track and it makes the sled ill handling?

That's not what I said....

The Nytro is a quirky chassis with heavy steering and a very front weighted bias.
When fully studded it even heavier feeling, requires more carbide/aggressive skis which further increases the steering effort and inside ski lift....which on a well designed chassis isn't a big deal but on the Nytro it picks up its inside ski suddenly/inconsistently and unpredictably.....
Like I said there are many benefits to being fully studded....outright acceleration/braking.
For this sled more so than others I've had....as in a new sled every two yrs since the early 80's......being fully studded makes the sled tiring to ride and in some conditions yes it handles worse.

I think the Ice ripper level of traction on ice and hardpack will suffice while the deep lugs will shovel the snow and harness the wicked low end initial torque the Nytro makes.
I'm not lookin for the outright most traction....looking to balance the handling, get waayyy more snow traction and make off trail feasible/fun.

Also I would never stud a track deeper than 1.25. Way too tall studs just bend, break, pull out, wreak havoc on the chassis, and don't penetrate well anyway.

Back