• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Deep lug shorty's

That's not what I said....

The Nytro is a quirky chassis with heavy steering and a very front weighted bias.
When fully studded it even heavier feeling, requires more carbide/aggressive skis which further increases the steering effort and inside ski lift....which on a well designed chassis isn't a big deal but on the Nytro it picks up its inside ski suddenly/inconsistently and unpredictably.....
Like I said there are many benefits to being fully studded....outright acceleration/braking.
For this sled more so than others I've had....as in a new sled every two yrs since the early 80's......being fully studded makes the sled tiring to ride and in some conditions yes it handles worse.

I think the Ice ripper level of traction on ice and hardpack will suffice while the deep lugs will shovel the snow and harness the wicked low end initial torque the Nytro makes.
I'm not lookin for the outright most traction....looking to balance the handling, get waayyy more snow traction and make off trail feasible/fun.

Also I would never stud a track deeper than 1.25. Way too tall studs just bend, break, pull out, wreak havoc on the chassis, and don't penetrate well anyway.

Terez, Is yours a true shorty, or have you done the skid relocate to add some lenght?? IMO the nytro is just too compact, the skid is to close to the skis, so somewhat like a short wheel base car, and those same short wheel base car handling characteristics show up on the shorty nytro..relocating that skid is one awesome improvement..

^ agreed. And terez I understand how your meaning it now, just was baffled by the worse handling with studs version. Guess I'm spoiled by being the size I am, don't use reverse steering is what it is and off we go! Ride on guys

Yep its a shorty...still the original skid location. And the 2013 went to a 2.86p 120 track so its even shorter than the 121 still !!
It is a weirdass beast....its pretty damn fun a lot of the time...the front end is just so unpredictable in when and how it either picks up its inside ski and or loses its set ski.

From what I read and understand the 128 relocate improves the ride, decreases the approach angle but also loses transfer and puts more weight on the skis.
We don't get a lot of snow around here so the approach angle isn't a problem most of the time and I like lots of transfer...and the Nytros launch and transfer are part of its charm so I don't want to mute that.

For off trail days and or loose snow conditions I remove the rear skid blocks and put the Curves on and move the sway bar to the softer of the two positions. Playful and wheelie prone.... :)
For fast trail riding and when the trails are hard and set up I run the tuners with lots o' carbide, sway bar in the stiffer position and put the skid blocks back in.
She handles really well set up like this.

Back