• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Detailed paper on 1049cc specs

A better comparison would have been with BRPs 1200 3 cyl.

The 900 ACE is really a woman's engine. I raced a 2015 900 ACE Renegade with a 2008 VK Professional and blow the doors off it in drag races on hard pack and powder. The Pro just kept pulling away from it down the lake race after race. Yes, the ACE feels smooth and feels fast, but c'mon...losing to a VKPro? Never would of thunk it.

Comparing the Yamaha 1049 cc to BRP 900 ACE is like comparing an 800 cc 2-stroke from one manufacturer to a 600 cc 2-stroke from somewhere else. Like comparing apples to oranges. Should have been directly compared to the BRP 1200 4-tec to be more meaningful.

But your not comparing hp, so point it moot. 900 is the 1200, same tech, same material, same engine, smaller displacement. I think you missed the whole point of the comparison. If a 800 used forged pistons and the 600 used cast the 600 would have pistons as heavy as the 800 and put the same strain on the crank as a rotating mass.

The only difference if the 1200 was used is the pistons would be even heavier. Everything else would be the same as the 900. By using the 900 I could see that the rotating mass of the much smaller motor equals the much larger motor. The 1200 would be much heavier still. The point is the Yami motor is made with forged pistons and rods. billet cam, has triple throttle bodies, and headers. All with lighter and stronger internal components.

It was apples to apples because it was about the guts, 1200 has the same guts, the 900 is heavier and inferior the 1200 is even more so. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey.

The ACE series of motored are also considered the "latest and greatest" 4 stroke tech BRP offers. That 1200 is considered an older design by comparison. I think that's part of the reason the ACE was chosen. They wanted to compare the current 4 stroke build technology between the two manufacturers. Performance was not a factor in the article.

I didn't know that we had two mechanical engineers on site. I don't know how the BRP 1200 and 900 ACE are actually constructed or compare to each other than displacement and horsepower. Unless I see a technical report from a non biased authority, I cannot take your opinions that they are basically the same, and they may very well be. All consumers need to be aware of self serving statements and well executed advertising. I've logged over 40,000 kms on both my Yamahas, and all I know is that there is yet to have been made a perfect sled. Yamaha should not be content that they have the best 4-stroke in the business at present, as nobody knows what the next guy will build.

I didn't know that we had two mechanical engineers on site. I don't know how the BRP 1200 and 900 ACE are actually constructed or compare to each other than displacement and horsepower.

If you would like drop him an e-mail so he can tell you. Your shot about mechanical engineers will be ignored as per site rules.

The comparison was perfect!

FYI, the 1200 4-tec also uses a single balancer shaft as well. Not the same engine as the line up of ACE engines. That's why it's not called the 1200 ACE. The ACE line up is for low HP 4-strokes, lower rpm engines with less stress factors. So should not be compared to high HP , high rpm engines.

So in my mind, comparison far from perfect!

Let's agree to disagree. I find that unbiased, open minded debate is good for our sport and drives innovation. Cheers!

Last edited:

Back