• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Discovered this today.....

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Was doing some work on the sled today - pulled cowls off to change oils etc. and the lower part of the engine was wet with oil. This is new this year.

Reading past posts here the allen key bolts around the lower part of the engine sometimes get loose.

So I tightened them up but how do you get at the bolts at the front of the engine?

I got all them tightened up, but there are about 4 of them that are a bugger to get at without taking the sub frame off (or so it appears - I don't even want to think about that).

Any help from others would be great. What have you done here.

MS

easier way is to back up the subframe. easier than it looks.
without removing the bulkhead you can't have access to the bolt. tube frame too close too the bolt.
best try is by entering by the steering rod boots hole...

Are you sure the oil didn't just come from the airbox? If you tipped it over at some point this winter it's possible.
We have seen this quite a bit as well on the Nytro models - what at first appears to be an oil pan leak is usually oil leaking out of the bottom drain holes of the airbox after a sled has been tipped over or on its side at some point. What happens is when the sled tips over oil can run out of the oil tank through the oil tank breather tube which is connected to the airbox. The oil then collects in the airbox and when the sled is back upright it will slowly run down the airbox and exit out the lower drain holes of the airbox and leak right onto the front side of the engine/oil pan mating area and then the oil will follow the gasket sealing area around the oil pan making it look like an oil pan gasket leak. Depending on the amount of time upside down which is directly related to how much oil ends up in the airbox some customers will notice oil in that area or leaking on the ground (or their trailer) immediately - other times when just a small amount ends up in the airbox it won't get noticed till much later like during an oil change or maintenance. Not trying to say the above sleds couldn't or didn't have loose oil pan bolts or that you shouldn't check them but most times when we see this it has been caused by a casual tip over and once cleaned up doesn't come back or at least doesn't till the next tip-over....

I know that these sleds don't like being on their sides or having their oil level too full or they spit oil back in the air box. If this occurs there is usually evidence of this in the air box - the foam filter is wet with oil, and the lower air box is also wet. In this case it was pretty clean - and I don't recall dumping the sled this year.

I have done a round on the bolts and snugged them up and will keep an eye on them, just too bad I cant reach all of them.

I figured someone rigged something up to reach way in there.

MS

My first Nytro I had was baldy overheated by the previous owner. Most of the oil pan bolts were loose and and it was leaking a bit. I tightened up the ones i could see and reach with a wrench, put another 10000 kms on the sled after that without a problem. Never came loose again. I think youll be fine

Thanks Big Phil, that's what I was looking for. Degreased the engine area on the weekend so I will be able to keep an eye on it next season and see if it continues to be wet.
MS

If the Nytro does need to be slightly tilted when performing some type of maintenance on the snowmobile trail, is it best to tilt the sled towards the Left side?

Take subframe off and weld in gussets then tighten allen bolts, grease steering linkage, check wiring then have a beer, while you're at it clean your air filter then have another beer!

Back