• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dual keel tuners which carbides?

justin1620

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX DX
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
1999 SRX 700
1998 SRX 700
2005 Arctic Cat F7
WEBSITE
www.rustymyers.com
I just picked up a new set of dual keel tuners sma-8jhds for my wife’s 07 136” attak with 108 studs….couldn’t pass up the deal. What carbides (inside/outside) do you recommend for mostly groomed trail riding? I’m not familiar with these skis

Last edited:

Id recommend returning the skis...in any depth of snow they are useless. Just replaced my tuners and got a chance to try the new ones...night and day difference. If you run with the tuners you will see what I mean...good luck. Joe

Id recommend returning the skis...in any depth of snow they are useless. Just replaced my tuners and got a chance to try the new ones...night and day difference. If you run with the tuners you will see what I mean...good luck. Joe
Can you elaborate at all? What do you mean new ones? I have a ‘15 vector in which I got a née set of stock skis with when I purchased I think they are tuner 2’s? For trail riding. They don’t seem bad. Granted I have replaced all the a arm bushings and check ski alignment on my preseason check.

I just picked up a new set of dual keel tuners sma-8jhds for my wife’s 07 136” attak with 108 studs….couldn’t pass up the deal. What carbides (inside/outside) do you recommend for mostly groomed trail riding? I’m not familiar with these skis
I’d put at least 6” with the studded track. I’ve had the same size in and out but like you I’m not well versed. I’ve replaced what my sled had on it so I replaced it with the same since they worked for me.

Last edited:
I purchased a new set of sma-8jhds. They are stock on 13/14 nytros. Dual keel. Brand new set for $70. I understand they aren’t that great of a ski but I figured they’d be ok on my wife’s sled who puts on maybe 200miles a yr. I’m just looking for any info in what carbide works best for trail riding with them on a 07 attack with approx 108 studs

Can you elaborate at all? What do you mean new ones? I have a ‘15 vector in which I got a née set of stock skis with when I purchased I think they are tuner 2’s? For trail riding. They don’t seem bad. Granted I have replaced all the a arm bushings and check ski alignment on my preseason check.
yes I can, they are good on hard packed trails, but in any depth snow your going to loose steering to a degree. I have had a heck of a time with them and trying to corner in deep snow I would wind up in the drainage ditch along side the trail and have to get that heavy machine out. I'm just saying there are much better skis out there and if the wife will be using those tuners she may not have a great ride. You may want to ask yourself why they were so inexpensive...Try them, you really dont have that much to loose. Just giving you my experience with the tuners...you may have better luck. Joe

I took them off my 16 Viper and replaced them with the single keel Cat ski because of the push issue in loose snow but I’ve seen others report good success with them on Vectors and Apex’s. When I did have them on I ran a 6” and 4” on each ski.

I have tuners on both my sleds (Venture MP and RS Vector XTX) and I have had good success with the 6" square bar carbides on the inside and regular no carbide runners on the outside. However I typically only run groomed trails and this combo has worked the best for me. I get the carbide grip of a single bar on hard/icy surfaces and the benefit of two runners on the regular groomed trails that I ride. This setup also benefits from a shimmed ski and proper ski alignment. The only time I have had any issues with this setup is on extremely soft and loose snow, but those situations are few and far between in my riding area.

Back