• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dupont slides - time to replace?

MrChetStuart

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 Nytro XTX
Doing maintenance on my 09 Nytro XTX. I put a set of Dupont slides on @ 3000mi a couple of seasons ago. I'm at 8500mi now (so 5500mi on the Duponts) and, to me, it seems like they are still in good enough shape to use for another season. I can just fit a 15mm open end wrench over them at the curve in the rail up front, and just ahead of the rear set of idler wheels. On my Apex, I always went with the "if a 10mm wrench fits over, time to change" approach, but that was with standard slides, and I'm not really sure how deep that dupont material penetrates into these slides (although I can still clearly see every diagonal piece and none are "gone").

Additionally, I'm changing my stock ripsaw track (clipped every 3rd) to a backcountry (fully clipped) for this season, which should, if anything, help with reducing wear on the sliders.

Anyway, just wondering what you guys think. Thanks!

run them the same as you used to on the stockers. the inserts are designed to fall out at the minimum wear point as spec'd by Yamaha. once the inserts are gone the plastic does wear faster than standard sliders though.

I have seen a set worn out on an early ty ride when they 1st came out and how I described them is how they behaved.

I believe if you can fit a 13 mm open end wrench it's time to replace, but since your changing the track and the skid will be out it might be easier now rather than later

I believe its around 11 or 12 mm that you need to replace. Someone actually did a measurement of the inserts to know exactly when to change. I have seen it on the forum before. The fully clipped should help with wear.

I'm going to keep an eye on them this season, hopefully I can catch them at the right time to see when the inserts start disappearing so I know for sure from here on out. Thanks for the input everyone!

It's been said here before, use ice scratchers with the backcountry track , fully clipped will help, but there is less snow dust with the bc track apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total thickness of a new DuPont slider is 19.8mm
There is a total of 10mm of slider before you get into the aluminum rail.
The DuPont blocks are 5 mm thick.

Ms

So that would mean that at the thinnest point, where I can just fit the 15mm wrench over, the inserts would be nearly wore down to nothing, but there is in the neighborhood of 5mm of "standard" slide remaining after that, correct?

That sounds pretty accurate. Basically when the dupont blocks are wore out you got 5mm left. In a snowy winter often that enough to make it to the end of the season. But one really bad day of shear ice and hard snow will burn that off pretty quick.
MS

Back