• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Saver Feedback Needed

What coolant temperature should be used for "extreme" over heat warning

• Total voters

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
As some of you know I'm working on a product that will detect loss of coolant and provide an "extreme" temperature warning to rider. The factory coolant temp light comes on around 210 degrees. The engine saver is being designed to provide a secondary warning beyond the factory caution light. I'd like to get some feed back on what temperature people would like to receive the secondary warning.

In cars 210 is typically considered normal operating temp so to have overheat light triggered on our sleds at this temp seems very conservative. I think the reason Yamaha does this is because typically if a temperature light comes on its because you've encountered a stretch of trail with minimal or no snow for sufficient cooling. When this happens you may have to ride for a few miles or so to get back to good conditions. By having the light come on at 210 it provides a buffer for a little bit of low snow riding before engine really starts to see overheating temps. The sportbike yamaha R1 motors only display the temp caution light at 243 degrees and the "time to shut down" warning is 289 degrees.

I'm sure most of can say we've skirted the side of a plowed rd at some point with our temperature light on and wandered just how hot is the sled. My goal with the engine saver is to provide a set point above the conservative factory light when operator says ok its time to stop.

Please complete the poll or post any comments in this thread.

Back